Best Character for Starters

Platyphyllum

Greetings everyone

I recently bought Avadon: The Black Fortress on Steam and I'm very excited to play it. I've just been wondering what class you guys recommend for a new player? I'm going to try starting on Torment and tone it down if necessary.

Also, are there any classes I should avoid? I was reading the Fighting Redbeard thread (something I might be interested in doing) and I heard that having a shaman main character would be disadvantageous.

Any help would be appreciated! smile

The Shadowwalker is probably the best all-around class for the main character: he has crazy defence and evasion if you pump Dexterity, a range of useful missile attacks, buffs and debuffs, and can pick locks. The shaman is problematic as a main character because her basic attack's damage type is energy damage, which a number of enemies are immune to.

Many thanks for the quick reply! It sounds like I might choose the Shadowwalker (I'll wait for other input first) but thanks for telling me about the shaman. She was actually my first choice since she was the equivalent of a druid which is one of my favourite general RPG classes but it looks like she is problematic as a main.

There are times when you want a shaman, but you don't always need a shaman, and there are definitely times when you don't want one. Having a shaman main character means you're stuck with one, and occasionally two.

You'll never regret having a shadowwalker, and I think a blademaster would also be a very solid choice.

—Alorael, who was going to recommend starting on hard and then turning the difficulty up if you want to. Then he remembered that the beginning is very easy. Just don't feel like you're doing something wrong if the game starts becoming much more difficult after the first major quest.

Aye on the Shadowwalker. He was my first choice by intuition, and was very effective and fun to play.

Right now I'm playing a Sorceress, with Focus on survivability, if you can say that. It's great. This is on Hard, mind you, but so far I prefer her over the Blademaster and the Shaman.

Welcome to Spidweb! Leave your sanity at the door. And your lockpicks.

(I finally feel like I've been around long enough to say that.)

I won't forget the frequent use of Daze for Nathalie, it saves your party during first missions, take notice that missing one turn means one turn they can't hit.

If Nathalie is the higher Dex char and also frenzy and you hit from a distance, then you have at first a second hit from her, then two hits each by the rest of the party, than foes are dazed and loose turn or react but they will still be far, and you have three more double hits of yours before they strike back (when there's someone left out there).