A:EftP - Things I'd love to see a return.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't food be an optional thing?

I've always been a big fan of games which allow optional ruleset rather than a strict "hard or easy" variation on difficulty. Super easy difficulty, massive food needs, little food generated in game. GO.

Yeah, you can kill whatever you want.. if you live long enough to get to the fight! Oh, you killed a dragon! Too bad it wasn't edible, cause you'll never make it back to town alive. Bwahahaha!

Love that stuff.

You can't eat dragon meat because of its mineral contents. Dragons have substantially different metabolisms, and their meat is generally lethally high in antimony, arsenic, and zinc. Some of their organs are, unsurprisingly, also rather high in phosphorus.

—Alorael, who suspects that dragons' hoarding instincts are, in an intelligent species, a preference that comes from the evolutionary past of requiring large mineral stockpiles for optimal growth, health, and fire-breathing.

• 3 weeks later...

those days are mentioned at end of Avernum 1 AverMan's walkthrough

||| 13. Special Events |||

As the months go by in Avernum, special events occur during them. These are a

list of events that happened during the time I was playing Avernum. Some of

these are out of order, sorry. frown

1st of Any Month - The crypt door opens

Remembrance 1 - Avernum's Birth. The anniversary of the day the first exiles

arrived in Avernum. Traditionally spent in study and contemplation. Training

doesn't cost any gold.

Ice Fall 1 - Low Ailment

All melee attacks do half damage

Frost 29 - Battle Eve

This is the anniversary of when the mages defeated of Grah-Hoth.

Effect: All spells are cheaper.

Evermoon 3 - The Terror

This is a day that is terrorized by rampaging monsters. Nobody knows why

though.

Effect: More wandering monsters.

Suncome 15th - High Alignment

A good day to start a fight.

Effect: All melee attacks do double damage

Radiane 1 - ???

Day when Fort Draco opens.

Effect: None

Radiane 14 - Day of Recall

Aaahhh a day of to remember all the good things in life. Too bad all stores are

closed.

Effect: All shops are closed.

Avernum 2 those were gone (not mentioned on walkthrough)

The holidays existed in all of the first three Avernum games.

I remember finding it particularly surreal in A3, when I was wandering around somewhere in sunny daylight Valorim and suddenly that pink writing appeared in my text box, informing me that all of the shops would be closed for the Day of Recall, "the day all Avernites remember what they lost when they were banished from the surface."

I always meant to stop in a surface city on Radiane 14, just to see if the Empire shops would really have all closed their doors for the day, but then I think I wound up just forgetting about it.

• 2 weeks later...

The holidays are one day a year. It's quite easy to not be in towns when they happen, and it's even easier not to notice the little message if you're not keeping an eye on the console.

—Alorael, who doesn't even think he sees most holidays during most games. Completing the games doesn't take enough in-game time to cycle through the calendar.

Yes, serious. Although I was speaking metaphorically when I talked about the shops "closing their doors." They don't actually close their doors. In fact, you can still talk to shopkeepers on the Day of Recall, but if you try to buy anything from them, you get an "all stores are closed today" message.

I know this because I just hit Radiane 14th in my replay of A2 today -- and I was in Vahnatai lands. I have therefore now discovered that even the Vahnatai shopkeepers won't sell you anything on the Day of Recall! So I suspect that the Empire shopkeepers in A3 won't either. Silly nonsensical game mechanics.

As for that "Day when Fort Draco opens" comment above, though -- I have no idea what that's about, but I suspect that it's a garbled reference to the Ancient Crypt in the Motrax Maze. The Ancient Crypt opens on the first of any month, but Elizabeth the innkeeper at Cotra tells you about some soldier who told her that he saw it open on the first of Radiane. At least, that's my guess as to what that's supposed to mean. I think that's from Averman's walkthrough, which is...well, often garbled in places.

I know that the debate has moved on from this, but...

Originally Posted By: Drakemoore

1. The necessity to consume food along your journey and a common food pool to use like Gold is. Just like the system Exile 1~3 used. Any food bought or picked up would immediately go into your party's food pool.

I am not a fan of food. I have used Skyrealms of Arcadia as a lesson in bad UI design all the time. Not only did it have food, but you had to drag the food to the mouth of your paper doll in order to feed the character. And you had to do this multiple times a game day. Thankfully no one remembers this game.

However, it is true that resource limitation can heighten a sense of urgency or other emotion in a game. Act II of Avernum 2 felt very, very different than act II of Exile 2. Why? Because you did not have to worry about running out of food all the time. Similarly, the Tower of Zkal in Exile 3 constantly drained you of mana, and you needed to get through quickly (and have a lot of energy potions) to survive the Lich battle; Avernum 3, not so much.

I understand Jeff wanting to take these hardcore aspects out of the main plot line. But it would be nice to see them in the advanced dungeons (like say, the Tower of Zkal).

As a follow-up to my last post. The thing that I really want to see Jeff do is better retrofit the old plot lines/level design to the new mechanics.

Avernum 2 is a great example. Exile 2 was all about mind duel. You were gearing up for the great boss battle with Garzahd. The end tower was demons everywhere, and locking yourself in constant mind duel. In Avernum 2, you kept the same format and lots of demons, but it was just mindless bashing (and Repel Spirit on everything). So the layout was exactly the same but the spirit of the game was lost.

On the other hand, the move from conveyors to mirrors and lazers in the Golem lair of Avernum 3 was great. It kept a lot of the spirit of the game but actually made it much more fun than Exile 3 (oh lord, those conveyors).

Jeff has really carefully thought about his boss battles in the later Avernums (4-6) when it felt like he was phoning it in for the remakes (Avernums 1-3). I am actually looking forward to the next Avernum remake in the hopes that he takes these lessons and redoes it right this time.