Which do you prefer?

Since you're posting this in the Nethergate forum, you may receive some biased results.

Personally, I prefer Avernum, as it is larger, more in-depth, and the engine is more polished. That said, Nethergate does have its pluses, like the two different POVs and the strange skill/spell systems.

I haven't registered Nethergate, but I've won through the demo on both sides before (only have the celts save still findable though now). I've got Avernum 1 full version, but I'd have to say I probably prefer Nethergate, but only because of teh two different view points (Celts and Romans). The one thing I hate about the romans though is their (understandable) absolute lack of spells.

- Archmagus Micael

I liked Nethergate a lot more. Primarily because it was very fun to see references to your Roman party when playing as Celts and to your Celt party when playing as Romans. (Maybe I should try going through the game again, playing both parties simultaneously and switching between chapters. smile )

Nethergate, easily. It's a wonderful game, and although it provides fewer playing hours than Avernum 1 does, it's still packed with enough fine storytelling and gameplay to lift it above the competition. It's also got the best dialogue system, in my opinion, of any SW game. Exile's system strikes me as overly difficult and tedious whereas Avernum's is considerably dumbed-down. Nethergate's keyword dialogue system strikes the perfect balance.

Quote:
Originally written by Spektakular:
Nethergate. There's just something in that game.
exactly! avernum 1 has its strong points, but for some reason nethergate just had a bigger impact with me. i really liked the pseudo-historical & two different sides that would see evidence of each other (particularly when you wouldn't understand what you were seeing as one faction, and then when you played the other side you'd be like "oh yeah i get it") i would love to see nethergate 2 (though i'm not sure it could have a sequel...) but more then avernum 4? hmmmm

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

They are both great games. I enjoyed both immensely, but Nethergate has a bit of an edge over Avernum because of it's originality. Let's face it, however great Avernum was, it was still a remake of Exile. Also, Nethergate had all those random little things that you thought would be important but never were like the Wishes fish, Pearlblossom, the Puzzle Box, etc. I just loved all the little details of that game. Aside from BoX, It was Jeff's greatest game ever, and as far as Jeff's contribution goes, Nethergate is better than BoX.

Nethergate of course... it was my first Spiderweb game, and it will always be my first spiderweb game. Not like I can change that. Besides, Avernum is not Nethergate. Duh.

Anyway, This is a good idea for a poll. You can judge the game on graphics, so you're stuck with gameplay. Proffesionals should catch on.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
Shaper Lord: It's generally considered polite to leave old topics alone unless you have something genuinely new and useful to add. That post was not.
Is it really a breach of etiquette to post in the most recent thread, no matter how old it is? :p