Loading saved Avadon games on Ipad version

Onoper

Yes, I'm having major slowdowns on ipad1, maybe this is the excuse I need to upgrade tongue.

How are people finding this on ipad2? On ipad1 I'm getting memory warnings even when it's the only app running, and the frame rate drops away to next to nothing after a few minutes of play.

A restart fixes it but it's a pain and not great for immersion.

Excellent game by the way! Sooooo nice to finally have a real RPG to play on my favourite gadget.

Oh yes, onoper, I have read posts re other games using something along the lines of diskaid to move save files across. Anything that gives you access to the file system. Of course this depends on whether or not the structure of the saves is the same.

Originally Posted By: Onoper
Wondering if there's any way to load my MAC saves of the game into the ipad!

Like previous games, there is unfortunately no way to transfer save files between platforms. Even if you could access the saves on the iPad version, they would be a different form than those on a mac or windows machine.

Originally Posted By: Onoper

Also, my game works slow on the ipad 1, anyone have the same problem?

Yes. I initially didn't notice it so much, but it has been brought up several times in the toucharcade thread now and now that I've read this, I see it everywhere... dammit ;-) On the other hand I almost wonder if all the beta testers had iPad 2s, because it is really something that is very apparent if you are testing the game experience.

There is a very noticeable slowdown in areas with a large number of moving NPCs. Dhorl Stead can be particularly hard to get through since your character position will only ever update every few tiles. Dhorl Stead is also the main reason why I think this is related to the number of moving NPCs, since there is a huge difference between when the patrol is running around and when it isn't. I wonder if this is tied to NPC pathfinding being slow, since the usual approach to pathfinding in this type of game (tiled map etc.) can be very memory and compute power intensive. It is not really gamebreaking but it can be very hard to talk to NPCs because it's hard to predict the part of the screen you have to touch when everything is moving and the screen is updating at most once per second. (Workaround: Move through these areas in combat mode.)

In combat, and this is why I didn't notice it earlier than I did, you get large delays between combat rounds fairly regularly. I am used to waiting from the older desktop games, especially back when I played them on equally old computers, but if you're not used to waiting until your character becomes active, you're looking at up to several seconds between turns where the game visually appears to freeze, with floating text stuck in the middle of its animation and so on. I don't think the wait is any problem at all, but the absence of a visual hint that the game is processing something creates apparent lag with windows popping up seconds after you touch the respective buttons and so on.

There's also intermittent, very short freezes that appear like Avadon is loading more data or graphics occasionally. This does not happen very often and is different from the above slowdown in populated areas that is always there. This is not an issue at all.

There is an option to turn on (or off) some unspecified graphical effects. I can't see a difference between these, especially not in performance. What does this setting actually change?

Another thing I've noticed is that I get the low memory warning a lot. Even after a reboot of my iPad, Avadon will display it within a few minutes of playing. The warning is almost more annoying than the slowness because I can see no real difference in how fast the game feels before and after the warning but I have to confirm the warning. Not a big deal either, but it is strange that I get a warning when there is nothing at all I can do to improve the situation. This makes the game look like it was designed for iPad 2 exclusively, which could be a bad thing.

Oh and last not least, something completely unrelated to performance, it would be nice if we could touch the expanded map to scroll the view to that point. This is somewhat related to performance actually, since it would help a lot with getting through Dhorl Stead and similarly slow areas. Scrolling via minimap or the terrain view can be very choppy and imprecise.

Thanks leelu, i will search for something like diskaid.

About performance: setting graphic in low resolution and closing other applications (specialy safari!) helps somewhat.

I've got the same problem with another game, and at least, Avadon don't freeze. A memory usage monitoring app, (Monitor, for example) helps too.

This is excellent stuff, I'm going to have to buy the PC version now as well laugh.

Spent hours last night playing around with remote desktop apps to see if I could play on ipad via pc, but it ended in frustration, particularly for the older games that need to be in full screen mode. Fun experimenting anyway.

(Ordered an ipad2 last night, any excuse would have done :p)