One-time text-messages

Neptúnus Hirt

Quick scenario-editing question: Is it possible to place one-time text-messages without putting down a white dot? Those messages only seem to work when I have the "special encounter" dot in place.

I would like to be able to place special one-time text-messages (and possibly other encounters) on normal walkable terrain as well as in custom secret passages. Something like "leaning against this wall caused it to open up! You stumble into the crevice - it seems man-made. Curious. Why would old man Jerry have a secret tunnel in his kitchen?"

Stuff like that.

Thanks!

One-time text messages work just fine on normal terrain, at least for me. But I don't believe any specials will do anything if called after a secret passage node. But if the secret passage is initiated via not special nodes, then a text message set on the specific area should work.

Hope this helps!

They definitely appear more than once for me when the dot is missing.

Do you know if the no-specials-after-special nodes behavior is intended? Such a limitation seems odd and arbitrary to me.

Time for more testing.

Edit: Hm, text messages (instant and general) appear twice when I put them on normal secret doors. Once when the door opens and again when I step in. Then again every time I step in again.

I haven't tried secret passages in cave walls yet.

One thought: What version (and OS) are you running?

Personally, I'm using the latest Mac OS X build. I wonder if that makes a difference.

No problem. Once upon a time, I used to play around a lot with the BoE editor; I never made anything worthwhile, but I did figure out some of the mechanics.

Originally Posted By: Neptúnus Hirt
Now I just need to figure out how to make a one-time text message appear after a custom secret passage node.
You should be able to chain them together quite easily, actually. When you're on the screen to create the secret passage node, there should be a label near the bottom of the screen that says "special node to jump to" or something similar.

Yeah, I figured that would work, but it doesn't for some reason.

Not sure why. Possibly a bug?

I haven't been able to make either regular or one-time text messages appear after secret passage nodes.

Input from any programmers that know their way around the code (or anyone who knows the ins and outs of the editor) would be helpful.