CBoE editor's default scenario password?

Prince of Kitties

I've noticed that, if I edit a passwordless scenario with the CBoE editor, it seems to bestow a password on it - the Super Editor can no longer open the scenario without a password. Can anyone tell me what the new default password is, so that I can use both the CBoE editor and the Super Editor on the same scenario?

You're talking about the Windows editor, right? (If I recall correctly, the new Mac editor isn't functional at the moment.) It shouldn't be adding a password at all. But maybe that's the problem.

I'll look at this in more detail when I get a chance, but it looks like the current Windows editor doesn't write anything for a password into the file (or rather, it writes whatever the uninitialized variable data will be--probably either a series of 0s or just random garbage values?). The Super Editor, I'm guessing, is expecting some data there that was encrypted using a password of "0", instead of whatever junk values are there now.

Should be pretty easy to add that kind of functionality back into the code.

My vote is to keep the password functionality out. It always was easy to defeat in the past, and plain silly in the days with source code access. A BoE scenario is not your online bank account, and there are legitimate needs to players to look at coding to get past puzzles and such if that makes their experience more fun.

Yeah, I think passwords are silly too. But this doesn't change the updated Scenario Editor's file-loading abilities, it'll still open them while ignoring passwords. Now it just saves with a slightly different, more backward-compatible scenario format.

I don't have admin privileges on the Google Code site, so I can't upload it there, but give this a try. (That's a direct link; alternatively, here's an indirect link if you prefer that for some reason: http://kiwi6.com/file/15h46y1878)

(Alternatively download at the Google Code project page here: http://openexile.googlecode.com/files/BoE%20Scenario%20Editor%20PWF.exe)

It's a very very simple change, but I do recommend making a backup copy or two of your scenario first, of course, just in case something horribly unforseen happens.

Note that the scenario format is expected to change radically in the future, so eventually, using older editors probably won't be possible at all.