End of Days - An AIMHack Campaign!

nikki.

I threatened and threatened, and now that I am safely clear of essay-deadlines and university nonsense, I'm maybe-perhaps ready to announce my first full-length AIMHack campaign. I've hosted a one-shot or two, and have participated in several, so I'm sure I have a reasonable handle on this, so here goes...

Quote:

It's that moment when you're sure that this breath is your last, only for you to be blessed with another which really makes life worth living: you're not truly alive, it is said, unless you're in mortal peril.

Going by that definition, you are about to be more alive than you have ever been. All citizens have been drafted, all genders and races, soldiers, magicians, alchemists, thieves, bards, everybody. There is a war, a vicious, bloody battle against bandits, rogues, monstrosities. All are led by a Witch of old, a beast of Lore. Your kinsmen die before you, victims of a war-machine too strong for your forces to contain.

But... there is a glimmer of hope. The Witch is located, you are sent to defeat Her, slay Her and end the bloodshed. You blast your way into Her under-defended shack, disguised and plain, and engage Her in a fight to the death.

The Witch, furious, summons a firebolt, hurtling it at you. Hurling yourself to the right, you watch it explode into the far wall. Shrieking, She flings Her arms and casts another two spells in quick succession. Bolts of electricity began to ricochet around the room and you throw yourself to the floor until they fizzle out.

Incensed at Her own inaccuracy, and your quick reflexes, the Witch flicks Her right hand, and sends you hurtling backwards, before following with another bolt of fire. Just dropping to the floor in time, it crashes into the shelves behind you, igniting the papers there. With lightning reflexes She drops Her staff and seizes a tome from the desk to Her side. As you struggle to your feet She holds it forth and begins chanting. An arrow flies by you, finding it's way into the Witch's right shoulder but too late. Her spell complete, you black out...

This is deliberately vague, because I don't want to influence any potential characters. Trust me when I say the campaign won't be as wishy-washy.

The usual AIMHack rules apply (Link: Here! – thanks Ephesos!)

Okay, that out of the way, I now need player characters. Feel free to send them to me by PM or AIM. Here's the ground rules: (copied from Lilith's rules here, since they worked so well: Here! )

* 10 stat points to distribute between STR, DEX and INT for everyone. Starting HP is equal to 10 + STR.

* 20 skill points at character creation to distribute in the usual way (cost of raising skill by 1 is equal to new skill level).

* You'll gain skill points when I see fit – it won't necessarily always be the entire group levelling up unless the I feel the entire group has contributed sufficiently during a session.

* Each level-up, you can raise one stat (Str, Dex, Int) by 1 point in addition to all skill gains. I'll tell you how many skill points you get if and when you level-up.

* A good mix of combat skills and non-combat skills is recommended. Expect to be doing a good mixture of things – a one-stat tank may find they quickly fall behind, unless that stat is used in interesting ways.

* Please provide a short backstory that covers your characters life before the fight with the Witch. Were they a soldier? A farmer? An outcast monk? I'll be doing the "free perk at level 1 for best backstory" thing that both Sarachim and Lilith did, but keep in mind that a good backstory doesn't have to be a long one. A paragraph or two is fine, unless you have more to say. In addition to this, I'm going to need one particular scenario which each PC regrets, and wishes they could change, for flavour. Maybe they helped their father die? Maybe they declined that second helping of cake? I don't care, but I only need the event as it happened, and the reason for the regret, not how the PC wished it played out.

I guess the backstory and this can be the same document if you're lazy, but I'd prefer two different things from people.

* Keep in mind that anything posted in your backstory is thereby known to other players unless you explicitly tell me not to post it...

I'm feeling maybe 4 or 5 characters is going to be PLENTY. 6 may be doable, but I'd rather not have to cope with that many unless demand is excessive. And I think that's it! Get rolling!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Wait, what? Every PC has the same "died fighting the Witch" backstory?

Also, to make it explicit, this will not be set in Mote, correct?

Who said "died"? Also, every PC failed to exist until this one fight?

Maybe I should clarify. I want backstories prior to the fight with the Witch. You'll all end up fighting her, but you'll do other things first, just like in City of Hope, our backstories weren't all "We just want to see the city!"

And yeah. This will be set in Mote, but not in the same time as current/previous campaigns.

Edit: Changed the original post some to clear things up.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
can i reserve a spot while i write up my character

because if i can i'm totes doing so right now

question: any particular guidelines on what geographical area our characters should be from?

I'd love to have you, so sure.

As far as geographical locations, none at all. They can be from anywhere, just as long as they find themselves in that town, fighting that Witch at the right time - one of the characters paritally submitted already is from a completely different land, and is making the long jouurney there.

I suppose a name might be useful, so lets say the town that is being/will be attacked is a fairly large city called Houghton on the island of Breaollis. It's won't really be important once we get going. tongue

We have a party! First of all, the characters submitted were all good, and if anybody submitted but didn't make the party (or, just plain didn't submit), then please do still come to sessions - as well as subbing in, I'm going to be needing people to handle NPCs throughout.

Anyway, the reprobates are:

Aluar Malara de la Torre Arce y Santo Reinoso, the Lacewing Inquisitor - Nalyd

Click to reveal.. (Stats)

Name: Aluar Malara de la Torre Arce y Santo Reinoso

Race: Lacewing

Deity: Mariona

Alignment: Peace. Really.

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 5

Intelligence: 3

HP: 12

Composure: 2

History: 2 (+1 Racial Bonus included)

Martial(Knives): 2

Perception: 1

Stealth: 3

Streetwise: 2

Thievery: 3 (+1 Racial Bonus included)

Click to reveal.. (Inventory)

Long knives (3x)

Short knives (4x)

Utility knives (2x)

Throwing knives (6x)

Fancy knife

Red cloak

Red clothes (Robe, pants, gloves, belt, boots)

Red feathered hat

Light leather armor (worn under robe)

Small pouch of coins (20 gold)

Holy medallion of Mariona

Holy medallion of The Order of the Pacifying Flame

Collection of torture implements Toolkit

Click to reveal.. (Story)

Aluar was born in a large city on a small island. They were, in theory, under the dominion of one nearby metropolis or another, but the only real power was the Church of Mariona, which kept a large church in town and several monasteries surrounding it. The church functioned as any lord would, maintaining a guard and bureaucracy and levying taxes, though they called them templars, a hierarchy, and tithes.

His life was uneventful, spent as a street urchin, a thief, and a thug. One day, his ineptitude led to his involuntary induction into the church. While initially troublesome, once he saw that the more powerful priests were essentially indistinguishable from very good thieves, he began to climb the ranks of the templars. When an Inquisition was proclaimed - as they were ever few decades, when the populace got too uppity - Aluar joined, and excelled. The church worshiping the goddess of peace did nothing to tame the brutal practices of religious purging the Inquisition employed - after all, peace will never come until all of the violent are dead. Also anyone that owes the church money. Or looks funny.

While the Inquisition was ruthless by nature, Aluar's propensity for violence and flawless facade of piety distinguished him from his peers. He gained a position of moderate power and influence within the church, and the city, and inspired the special branch of the Inquisition that policed the church and the Inquisition itself.

When the call came to fight the Witch, sent from far away and from powers alien to his island, Aluar was not assigned or compelled to go. He volunteered, and his political enemies took care of the rest. The Inquisition was petering out, and Aluar had acquired - or honed - a certain bloodlust during his service that his new, higher position failed to satisfy. While he has little idea what he will find on the other end of his voyage, Aluar doesn't much care either. It was war, right? What place could possibly need the ministrations of the holy mother of peace more?

Selffar, the Elven Gent - Sarachim

Name: Selffar

Race: Elf

Alignment: Classy

3 STR

5 DEX

2 INT

13HP

Composure 3+1

Thievery 3

Streetwise 2+1

Martial (Improvised) 2

Crafting (Alchemy) 1

Stealth 1

There is very little to my life's story, I am afraid. I am a simple gentleman of leisure, one of the few on Breaollis of such good fortune. I amuse myself by travelling from town to town, as I find it tedious to stay in one place for too long, but I am no great adventurer, and I count myself lucky to be grouped with such brave and capable people as yourselves. I prefer peace and quiet, and until quite recently I had it.

"When the recent troubles began I had just been arrested by the guards, owing to a harmless little misunderstanding involving the duchess Inlinde and some of her jewels, and the mayor offered me amnesty if I would fight. I was perfectly innocent, of course, but as I could not decently say why I had been in Inlinde's home that evening, I thought it best to accept the offer and join the great patriotic struggle. Next time I will hire an attorney instead, I assure you."

Aaron, the Human Journeyman - B.J. Earles

Name: Aaron

Race: Human

Deity: Imaunte

Alignment: Willful

HP: 13

STR: 3

DEX: 3

INT: 4

Martial (swords): 2

Magic (enchantment): 2

History: 3

Composure: 3

Artifice: 1

Perception: 2 (RB)

Stealth: 1 (RB)

Click to reveal.. (Spellbook)

Vertigo - Distorts one target's perception of space. They suffer a reduction in accuracy and have a hard time maintaining their balance.

Bliss - Presents one target with a pleasing fantasy in an attempt to distract them. Those effected become less perceptive of their surroundings. This spell has little effect when the target is alert and focused, such as during combat.

Charisma - (Costs one stamina) Surrounds one target with an air of confidence and charm. They receive a bonus to their Composure for a time.

Nightmare Aura - (Costs one stamina) Makes nearby enemies perceive the caster as a horrific monster. Those most affected will become terrified, and those less affected will be provoked into attacking the caster. The effect is strongest near the caster.

If you ever met Aaron in a tavern and asked him what his history is, you would get a cryptic response, if you got a response at all. The most anyone has ever gotten out of him is the following:

"Who my parents were and who I was before I started my journey doesn't matter. I guess you could say it all started in Sarden. I was down on my luck and flat broke after being mugged. I had just put my last coins into the palm of an innkeeper in exchange for a cot and some ale. It was then that the most peculiar man sat next to me. Now, in Sarden when a strange man walks up to you it's usually for a reason you won't like. Imagine my surprise when the man offered me a job guarding a caravan headed to Myundt. I accepted the job, partly to get some money and partly just to get out of Sarden before I was attacked again. I never really knew why that man gave me the job. I asked him a couple times while we traveled, but I could never get a straight answer out of him.

"Anyway, when we arrived at Myundt, we parted ways, but before that he suggested I visit a dragonborn seer living in Myundt. I found the seer, or more likely he found me. He had the strangest things to say to me. I won't bore you with the details. In essence he said that Imaunte had a plan for me, a destiny I would find on the other islands of Mote. Now, I've never been a very religious man. Sure, I've always believed in the gods, but I had never really followed one. That seer said things to me that convinced me that I had to leave and find my destiny. I've tried to follow Imaunte ever since. My journey has taken me through most of Mote. I've seen and done things one can scarcely imagine. For instance, this one time..."

Aaron had just arrived in Houghton when the fighting broke out. He had been looking for a way to help the people, mostly just running errands and tending the wounded. He had kept his skill with sword and magic a secret until he heard about the mission to destroy the witch. Now was the time to put his skills to the test.

Hexelion Tyralson, the Elven Bodyguard - Nioca

HEXELION TYRALSON

RACE: Elf, Male

PERSONALITY: Reasonable

DEITY: Sliros

BASE STATS

STR: 03

DEX: 03

INT: 04

HP: 13/13

STM: 10/10

SKILLS

Martial (Shortblades): 3

Magic (Enchantment): 3

Composure: 2

Streetwise: 2

Perception: 2

Artifice: 2

INVENTORY (5.49 Gold | 5G 4S 9C)

Butterfly Swords - A matched pair of butterfly swords, held within a single sheath.

Shuriken x10 - Small, sharp metal shuriken.

Leather Brigandine - A fashionable brigandine with leather lamellar as its backing.

Healing Tonic - Heals wounds when consumed.

Spyglass - A small spyglass, useful for seeing a long distance.

Small Mirror - A small, portable mirror.

Lamp - A small lamp, useful for illumination.

Pliers - Useful for plying things.

Spellbook - A small spellbook on enchantment.

Click to reveal.. (Spellbook)

LURE (L3)

EFFECTS: Compels a targeted creature/person to approach the caster. In combat, this typically results in the creature abandoning its former target for the caster, and will generally result in the creature/person attempting to close any distance between itself and the caster (even if common sense or good tactics dictate otherwise). Stamina can be spent to broadcast the effect across multiple targets.

DESCRIPTION: A strong yearning or compulsion to approach the caster; the spell usually works this in with whatever the target is feeling at the moment.

FLAWLESS ANTICIPATION (L3)

EFFECTS: Once per combat encounter, can establish a weak mental link with a target, enabling the caster to anticipate its movements. This provides a small bonus to any actions or defenses versus the target.

DESCRIPTION: The caster appears to lock eyes with the target momentarily.

CHARM OF UNREMARKABILITY (L3)

EFFECTS: A simple charm that renders the recipient unremarkable. Anyone (or anything) that views the recipient will subconsciously dismiss the recipient as unimportant or part of the background, and is unlikely to spare the recipient a second glance. Useful for concealing someone in plain sight, staying inconspicuous, or keeping attention away from vulnerable party members in combat.

DAZING BLOW (L3)

COST: 1STM

EFFECTS: Strikes an opponent with a weapon (melee or ranged), then uses the distraction of the hit to press a mental attack on the target, leaving the the target stunned and disoriented for a short time.

Everything happens for a reason. Hexelion believed that fully, believing that the sum of his experiences had led him to where he was now. Born the son of an elven noble, Hexelion had a wealthy and luxurious life waiting for him. However, misfortune befell him at the age of 17, in the form of a human girl named Melena. She was a visitor from a nearby friendly tribe of humans, and when the two laid eyes on each other, they were instantly smitten with each other.

The relationship was short and covert, with Hexelion meeting his paramour in secret and away from prying nobles. She taught him how to fight and defend himself, and also discovered a hidden talent for enchanting which she helped grow. On his 18th birthday, she gifted him with a pair of butterfly swords, and he promised her his hand in marriage. Unfortunately, not long after, their relationship was discovered by his family; his paramour vanished without a trace, and shortly after, his family disowned him for his scandalous affair.

Hexelion was forced to quickly adapt to a lower-class life. Using his new-found talent with blades and simple enchantments, he started over as a caravan guard, protecting traveling merchants from such dire threats as wolves and starving brigands. As he became more experienced, he eventually started working as a bodyguard, protecting wealthier men and women from those that would do them harm, for a price.

His path eventually led him to Houghton, where his skills had been noted by those wishing to destroy the witch. He had been drafted into part of a group sent to assassinate her, hopefully bringing an end to the war that had been raging.

And finally, Zatira, the Human Huntress - Lilith

Name: Zatira

Race: Human

Alignment: Ambitious

Lvl: 1

Str: 3

Dex: 4

Int: 3

HP: 13/13

Stm: 10/10

Martial (Crossbows): 3

Nature: 3

Perception: 2+1 (RB)

Stealth: 2+1 (RB)

First Aid: 1

Artifice: 1

Click to reveal.. (Techniques)

Take Aim (1 stamina). Spend a full round observing a target and setting up a shot at its vitals. Zatira may not move, attack or use items during the round she spends taking aim. If she fires at her target in the following round, her attack has a bonus to hit and inflicts triple damage.

Piercing Shot (1 stamina). Zatira aims her crossbow bolt to pass through a soft part of one target's body and continue on to strike another, inflicting damage to two targets in a straight line. More than two enemies may be targeted, but at the cost of 1 additional stamina per extra target.

Point-Blank Shot (1 stamina). Zatira fires her crossbow at an enemy in melee range. The shot has slightly reduced accuracy due to the awkwardness of bringing the crossbow to bear against a target that's actively trying to cut her to ribbons, but inflicts greatly increased damage if it hits.

* 1 repeating crossbow

* 2 spare crossbow strings

* 12 bolts

* 1 suit of hide armour

* 1 spyglass

* 1 first aid kit (bandages, needle and thread, scissors, sterilising tinctures)

* 1 leghold trap

* 1 hunting knife

* 1 short-handled spade

* 1 crosscut saw

* 1 hatchet

* 1 necklace with a piece of antler threaded on it

* 50 feet of rope

* travel supplies (clothing, food, torches, tent, spikes and mallet, flint and steel)

As the eldest child of the chief of a semi-civilised tribe of jungle dwellers on Breaollis, Zatira always saw herself as destined for greatness. Even before her coming of age, she travelled alone into the woods to hunt and trap animals, bringing them back to her tribe in hopes of earning praise, respect, and some day, power.

After her father passed her over as his heir in favour of her twin brother Dharush, Zatira left the village in a rage and travelled to Houghton, where she volunteered to hunt the Witch. She saw the task as an opportunity to prove her skills as a huntress and warrior, giving her father no choice but to reconsider his decision.

Lilith also wrote my favourite backstory, so Zatira gains the following perk:

Paths of the Wild

Click to reveal..
Due to her upbringing in the jungles of Mote, Zatira gains a small bonus when attempting to find a trail, be it a natural path or footprints in the dirt.

In addition, once per day she is able to completely blend into the background, becoming invisible for a short while. Unfortunately, this only works outside.

A few things:

For those with training in weapons, if you haven't already please feel free to come up with some combat techniques like Lilith did. They aren't essential (in fact, they're entirely optional), but they do add a bit of flavour/extra firepower. You're allowed as many techniques as you have INT - that is, if your intelligence is three, you can have three techniques.

Everybody should probably have an inventory, so please send those over ASAP.

And, lastly: timetabling. This calender is to gauge when works best for the group in general, not for a particular session (though, if you all manage to be free at the same time, and I can prepare in time, that's great :p).

Link: http://whenisgood.net/79pk95s

Originally Posted By: This Charming Man!
For those with training in weapons, if you haven't already please feel free to come up with some combat techniques like Lilith did. They aren't essential (in fact, they're entirely optional), but they do add a bit of flavour/extra firepower. You're allowed as many techniques as you have INT - that is, if your intelligence is three, you can have three techniques.
Is that in addition to spells, or for those with training only in weapons?

Anyway, filled in the calendar, but I'm available most reliably in the evening... which was pretty much removed from this calendar. So my submission to the calendar is not a pretty sight. Sorry. frown

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Is that in addition to spells, or for those with training only in weapons?

I'm going to say you can pick some techniques in addition to spells, but if you do, you'll have to give up one of your spell-slots for each technique. Does that seem fair to people?

Quote:

Anyway, filled in the calendar, but I'm available most reliably in the evening... which was pretty much removed from this calendar. So my submission to the calendar is not a pretty sight. Sorry. frown

Yeah, that should be fixed now. I suck, and it's late. But mainly I suck. Feel free to go back and resubmit times.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
I just noticed: Zatira's one point of FA is the only healing of any kind. We are so, so doomed.

Apart from Zatira, you've all taken composure too. For an RP intro that is basically one big fight I'm confused as to why you're all clearly expecting a lot of talking. tongue

I would guess this happened at least partly because, unlike some past AIMHack games, characters were posted all at once rather than one at a time, which sometimes gave slower character-builders the chance to seek a different niche for their design. But I also find it fascinating that people independently made similar choices in certain areas; I wonder if there's some sociological phenomenon that would explain it.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
I would guess this happened at least partly because, unlike some past AIMHack games, characters were posted all at once rather than one at a time, which sometimes gave slower character-builders the chance to seek a different niche for their design.

Yeah I wanted people to make their own character, and not one the party needed. I am amused that people built such similar characters, even down to a couple of backstories being terribly similar, and I just hope the dice treat you well. smile

Originally Posted By: This Charming Man!
...I just hope the dice treat you well. smile

Umm...this has happened before when? Oh yeah, not ever. tongue The dice NEVER compensate for foolish player decisions.

Also, a major downside to the character designs has occurred to me: there is no one with the abilities to serve as a pyro-maniacal Kurex stand-in. That is sad.

For what it's worth, my thought process was basically "hmm, this stealthy Dex-based character that I statted out a while ago would be appropriate for an assassination mission". So I wrote her a backstory and here we are.

Mine was "with such a violent intro, everyone will clearly neglect the social skills. I had better help out." tongue

I respectfully disagree with the "make the character you want, not the one the party needs" approach, because for me, what I want is to fill a niche the party needs. Composure, streetwise, and thievery (to pick three skills completely at random :p) are lots of fun when the rest of the party doesn't have them, because it means that your presence gives the party options it otherwise wouldn't have. When they're all thoroughly, crushingly redundant, then the character feels useless. Not that I'm bitter because this has happened to me twice in a row now or anything. tongue

Oh look! A teachable moment! Today's topic: Game theory!

Click to reveal.. (Technical stuff)
A Nash equilibrium is a state in which a group of players each select choices in an attempt to maximize the total payoff function, but due to their imperfect information, they cannot unilaterally make a decision that would improve the net payoff of all players without consent and action by other players. However, since they can't get that, they take a sub-optimal choice in order to insure that their payoff will be maximized.

In this almost textbook example, everyone built a generalist character, knowing that they'd at least be of use, because they were unwilling to create a redundant specialist that would only be a drain on the party. However, a party of five generalists is less equipped to deal with challenges than a party with clearly defined roles- healer, mage, warrior, archer, etc, since it can't tailor its approach as well. So by everyone trying to be useful, they actually hamstring their usefulness.

Interesting stuff. You see it pop up all the time when you know to look for it.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Game theory stuff.

I dispute that this is the case. A redundant specialist in hitting things would almost always be useful, because the whole party participates in combat and additional fighters do not give diminishing returns. The same goes for most kinds of magic, especially since two characters with points in the same magic school could select different spells any time they wanted to.

Certain non-combat skills (like thievery, artifice, composure, streetwise, and so forth) are vulnerable to redundancy. If I were trying to produce a PC that was certain to be useful, I'd avoid those skills, and prefer ones that are unlikely to be rendered useless because someone else picked them too. In this case, I think it's more likely that, by sheer coincidence, everyone wanted to play a similar type of character.

Not quite. A Nash equilibrium is where each agent chooses an action (or more generally, a mixed strategy) that maximizes its own utility function, and would not choose to change its strategy even when the mixed strategies of all other agents are revealed. Maximizing the net utility and hidden information have nothing to do with it.

Maybe you're thinking of "A Beautiful Mind equilibrium". Just like in the scene from the movie, there's nothing stopping one of the players in the RP from unilaterally changing their character to better suit the party.

Alternate explanation by Randall Munroe.

In my case, I was just trying to make a light tank with mage abilities, based somewhat on the idea that he could draw fire towards himself or redirect fire away from allies. I did this on the assumption that someone would be the healer, and that I also would not be the primary tank.

I also swapped out a point of STR for a point of INT. I'm kinda regretting that now. tongue

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Not quite. A Nash equilibrium is where each agent chooses an action (or more generally, a mixed strategy) that maximizes its own utility function, and would not choose to change its strategy even when the mixed strategies of all other agents are revealed. Maximizing the net utility and hidden information have nothing to do with it.

But they agents can't change their strategies after they're revealed, so the only decisions are made when the agents lack information, so everyone chooses in order to ensure they'll have some usefulness to the party. Since the "payoff" of building a good character is ostensibly being able to participate activley in the party, everyone acts to maximize their payoff by trying to build a character ot some use.

For instance, you don't want to be a healer, because a party of four white mages five healers would be useless, so nobody becomes a healer. Likewise, everybody built their character with like five or six skills in order to ensure that they'd be useful in every situation, but the result is that nobody's able to deal with a situation. For instance, everybody has martial skills, but nobody has more than a few points. Hence, my point stands.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
For instance, you don't want to be a healer, because a party of four white mages five healers would be useless, so nobody becomes a healer.

Not really, battles would just take a very long time. But seriously, just because a character's fulfilling one role doesn't mean they can't fulfill others; Arell Iseil can heal you one moment and rip you apart the next, Josun could brawl with the rest of the party AND break curses and enchantments, Eva Roe could alternate between healing, support, utility, and attack, and that's just to name three characters off the top of my head. Hell, even Kurex had some healing ability in RomD, but would you say he was useless in a fight?

Quote:
Likewise, everybody built their character with like five or six skills in order to ensure that they'd be useful in every situation, but the result is that nobody's able to deal with a situation. For instance, everybody has martial skills, but nobody has more than a few points. Hence, my point stands.

Eh, it's more that the responsibility's spread out; instead of having one mainline tank, the whole party IS the mainline tank. The lack of healer could hurt, but Safflar's alchemy might be able to offset that. And in any case, all it takes is one level to start addressing the weak points in this party; we might not have everything covered yet, but once we get a few skill points, you can bet money that those holes will get filled quickly.

In all fairness, I built Aaron long before this campaign was announced. I've just been looking for the chance to use him.

The lack of healer could hurt, but Safflar's alchemy might be able to offset that. And in any case, all it takes is one level to start addressing the weak points in this party; we might not have everything covered yet, but once we get a few skill points, you can bet money that those holes will get filled quickly.

Exaclty. I expect to see Selffar's alchemy and Zatira's first aid go up really fast. I also wouldn't be surprise to see someone else take points in fist aid (I might just do that myself).

Certain non-combat skills (like thievery, artifice, composure, streetwise, and so forth) are vulnerable to redundancy.

Although it's very good to have redundancy in some of those skills, like Composure, if one of the party members has the proclivity to use that skill to incite mobs to attack the party's main NPC ally. wink

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Certain non-combat skills (like thievery, artifice, composure, streetwise, and so forth) are vulnerable to redundancy.

Although it's very good to have redundancy in some of those skills, like Composure, if one of the party members has the proclivity to use that skill to incite mobs to attack the party's main NPC ally. wink

You know, traditionally, rolling a 20 means "you get the best possible outcome," not "you succeed too much for your own good." But I'm still not bitter. tongue

You've all yet to see what's in store for you. tongue I'm sure that everybody will find inventive uses for their skills when the time comes. At certain points it's probably going to be necessary. I don't people thinking that a skill means a PC has a talent in one area. People in meatspace use their talents for tasks other than the one intended.

(for instance I'm totally happy if somebody wants to roll a composure check to keep their cool whilst attempting to prevent another character from bleeding out in front of them. They'll suffer a penalty but Zatira shouldn't be the only person looking out for you.)

In my case, I was just trying to make a light tank with mage abilities, based somewhat on the idea that he could draw fire towards himself or redirect fire away from allies. I did this on the assumption that someone would be the healer, and that I also would not be the primary tank.

I also swapped out a point of STR for a point of INT. I'm kinda regretting that now. tongue

yeah, i see what you were trying to do, but being a tank works better if you can actually take hits

i'm just sayin'

yeah, i see what you were trying to do, but being a tank works better if you can actually take hits

i'm just sayin'

Hexelion can take hits and fight up-front; he's got decent martial skills and okay stats (for L1), plus some light body armor (the Brigandine) and spells to bolster prowess or knock a foe off-kilter. Also, under this HP system, all characters start off kinda squishy unless they've got ridiculous STR. I'm just saying that I wish there was, at the very least, a healer to support tanking, or a heavy tank with high HP and Melee to back us up.

Thanks for filling the calender out so quickly. There are, fortunately, quite a few slots where we are all available. The best day for me would be Thursday evenings (7pm EST, midnight for me, and 9am Friday mornings for Lilith) but if anybody has a strong aversion to that, those times on pretty much any day except Saturdays and Wednesdays work for everybody.