Simple Question

Firecage

There's not really a meaningful way for someone else to answer that for you. Depending on your preferences you might have a huge amount of fun or you might find it totally redundant. Some concerns to take into account:

• Have you already played the original Avernum trilogy? If so, you might not perceive much gain from playing the Exile games.
  • Do you have a strong opinion about the graphics, or details of the gameplay like the spell system? Most people either love or hate the Exile graphics, for example, (I'll admit to belonging to the latter camp), so this could influence your decision a lot, given the large amount of overlap between E1-3 and A1-3.
Ultimately you should probably just try it out and decide whether you like it. It shouldn't take too long to form an opinion.

...Unless you've played Avernum, in which case the gameplay is a bit different and the world and plot are identical. So download the demos, figure out which engine you like more, and enjoy otherwise nearly identical games!

—Alorael, who does not know which ASCII game that is. Angband or its teeming offspring? Nethack? ADOM? Good ol' Rogue?

Um, no, nowhere near ten times faster. You level up slightly faster than a non-pacifist who also never kills things. However, in Exile, the attacking PC gets the bulk of the experience for a kill, so you actually tend to level up like ten times slower than your other characters.

My main party I usually used during the game consisted of 2 fighters, 2 mages, 1 priest and 1 lockpicker/trap disarmer/alchemist. My LP/TD/A was a pacifist. He did not fight which hurt his experience on that part, but he picked locks and disarmed traps for his experience.

The levels between that guy and the other five were ridiculous. The other five would be around 25 and the other guy would be around 17.

All I'm saying is that the pacifist trait isn't entirely bad. Although, I would have to say that it does hurt the character more than it helps.

Post #529 cool

Originally Posted By: loyal servile of sasuke uchiha
I think no one could win the game with a singleton fighter with pacifist without cheating...
I don't think it could be done even with 6 pacifists.
Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg
My main party I usually used during the game consisted of 2 fighters, 2 mages, 1 priest and 1 lockpicker/trap disarmer/alchemist. My LP/TD/A was a pacifist. He did not fight which hurt his experience on that part, but he picked locks and disarmed traps for his experience.
Pacifists are also good as meatshields, and for buffing your other PCs.

In combat, doesn't poison give the same amount of experience to your party when it kills a monster? That might be useful for keeping the experience gap a bit smaller.

Considering how relatively weak poison was in Exile compared to the recent games, I think you'd take a very long time to beat Exile 2 if you were trying to kill all enemies with poison.

Whatever you do, pacifists are going to level more slowly than other characters which means they will have inadequate health, so poor meatshields. They also aren't allowed to cast haste or bless, so not much good at buffing either.

I thought that poison, or in fact anything that's not damaging from you directly, doesn't give you exp. Like summonings or poison or disease
Dude, I meant when your summonings kill the enemy.

Maybe that was what you meant, but you said poison. Twice, actually. So please don't get upset -- we're just responding to what you wrote.

Also, lots of game mechanics are different in Avernum, including lots of things about how experience is handled, so the way something works in Avernum is not necessarily a good guide to how it works in Exile.

-_- I have eight cats. A tabby, a black one with some cute white fur patch on his chest, an all black one, a grey one with white paws and long ear hair, three kittens that look exactly the same(white with a huge black spot on there head-from the all black cat as mother) and another tabby kitten. They are all so cute!

Actually, I am a dog person. Therefore the cat has chosen me as his favorite person. It should be known that cats are evangelists; they are out to convert people to be cat people.

For example, you can put a cat in a room full of people. It will find the person who least likes cats, and that will be that cat's favorite person.

Dogs are man's best friend. Cats will be friends with people, but only on their own terms. One does not own a cat. More often than not, they own their people.

Actually the cat I have isn't too bad. He comes when I call him; about half the time. laugh

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Actually, I am a dog person. Therefore the cat has chosen me as his favorite person. It should be known that cats are evangelists; they are out to convert people to be cat people.

For example, you can put a cat in a room full of people. It will find the person who least likes cats, and that will be that cat's favorite person.

Dogs are man's best friend. Cats will be friends with people, but only on their own terms. One does not own a cat. More often than not, they own their people.

Actually the cat I have isn't too bad. He comes when I call him; about half the time. laugh

Yeah? Well you know who else liked dogs? HITLER, that's who.

Also he was a vegetarian. And supported animal rights. I guess there is something to be said for the whole "stopped clock" thing.

skip one, try two. 1 only has what? 40 spells? and none of them are sommuning. BUT, on a brighter side of exile 1, the demo is awsomly huge, because you can go ANYWHERE from fort exile, to the long river and lake on the west side, you can go from the tippity top near motraxes cave all the way down to the tower of magi, then all through the honeycombs, and as far left as almaria!

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
skip one, try two. 1 only has what? 40 spells? and none of them are sommuning. BUT, on a brighter side of exile 1, the demo is awsomly huge, because you can go ANYWHERE from fort exile, to the long river and lake on the west side, you can go from the tippity top near motraxes cave all the way down to the tower of magi, then all through the honeycombs, and as far left as almaria!

I agree with the vastness of Exile 1's demo. You can easily get up to 20 hours of playtime before you've done absolutely everything you are able.

Post #544 cool

Quote:
eah? Well you know who else liked dogs? HITLER, that's who.

Also he was a vegetarian. And supported animal rights. I guess there is something to be said for the whole "stopped clock" thing.

George S. Patton was another dog person, and we all know what he did to Hitler's army. Actually, I'm more of a "Turner and Hootch" guy.

But as for the cat, have you ever noticed the effect they seem to have on gravity? They lighten themselves to leap up onto the fence, but let one get in your lap and you cannot move! Just try to get up out of that chair when that cat has curled up on your lap. I guess that is where the word "cat-atonic" comes from. wink

BTW, back on topic, while Exile 1 is a very good game, and it develops the early history of Exile, Exile 2 and Exile 3 are larger and their story line gets increasingly complex. Personally, I enjoyed all three of them, as I had actually started with Exile 1.

The first spiderweb software game I played was exile 2. Gather around children for a story. Once apon a time in a magical land called paw paw, Michigan, my computer broke down, and the neighbor that lives under our apartment gave us hers because she was moving. The computer had NO internet, but a game place thing, with a bunch of games. And in adventure, I saw the game EXILE:2 so I clicked on it. When our real computer got fixed I looked all online for the game place, but couldent find it. So I typed in Exile 2, and there it was, spiderweb software.

Gather around children for a story.

If you're going to use that line at age 12, imagine how ancient I feel being nearly three times as old frown

But I'm quite impressed that at your tender age you found Exile II and were sufficiently hooked to follow up on Spiderweb. It just shows that basic graphics and sound effects need not be an obstacle to enjoyment even in these high definition, 3D times.

E2 was of course my first Spiderweb game as well... But my first actual computer game was Rainbow Islands (on the Amiga). Happy memories.

Oh well, it's my bedtime now. Us older folk need our sleep.

What preteen wouldn't love Role Playing Games with magic and swords and dungeons?

Socially well-adjusted ones?

I was into chess at that age. Okay, maybe still flirting the edge of socially acceptable, but at least I didn't hit D&D until college!