Which Avernum should I start and why?

Hello everyone, I've recently tried some demos for the the Avernum series while waiting for Skyrim *dodges tomatoes* and Risen 2 to roll around. I'm not an old school gamer, generally, but I was pleasantly surprised by the details of the game world and the written descriptions, so now I'm thinking of actually buying one.

Problem is, I don't really know which one(s) to get. There seems to be a fair bit of dissent about which ones the best, and the "Which is your favorite" threads I've read haven't really gone into too much detail about why people prefer one game over the other. So I was kinda hoping you guys could tell me which ones are your favorite and why you like it over the others.

Looking forward to hearing your (hopefully forthcoming) opinions!

Avernum 1 to 3 use a different game engine than 4 to 6. Players that start with the newer game engine usually don't like the older one for the first trilogy. Avernum 4 repeats most of the Avernum 3 story line.

I prefer the first trilogy especially Avernum 2. The games are more open in that you can explore where you want and not be forced into doing the main quest paths. Jeff moved away from that because it makes it easier to balance the game. There isn't the difference in levels that comes from just exploring until you keep dying.

Well, while I personally think 3 is the best (though, have not played 5 or 6 yet), I'd recommend starting with 1. I believe it's a little simpler than the other games (3 will drive you nuts with the time mechanic if you're OCD and having the town get damaged bothers you). Also, if you plan on going through all of them anyway, going through them in order can help make sense of things. The games do a good job of making sure experience in the previous games is not required, they explain the important details and such, but there are details casually mentioned in later games that you may understand better having actually experienced those events.

Having played all the games in the series, including the earlier incarnations of Exile, I would have to agree that playing the games in order is the preferable path. The story of the series often refers to historic events of previous games. IMO, each adventure is worth the experience in its own right, and deserves to be played to completion.

I am tempted to suggest playing the Exile series first, but that is strictly nostalgic. The story of the first three Avernum games is a replay of the Exile series with a few slight changes. The game engine of Avernum is easier to work with, especially in the manner that dialog is done. There are a few references in Avernum to things that were done differently in Exile, mainly in that in Exile you played with a party of six, instead of the four you get in Avernum.

I've played 1,2,4,5, and 6, but only completed the sixth, since I threw away my completionist side and hurried through it (still a very long game, they all are).

I think the new engine is preferable, especially A6 has very nice combat, graphics and all.

The entire history of the world is amazing, I think, but I'd say the first and the last are the best storywise.

I think A3 is in highest (very high at least) regard, but that is the one game I haven't tried.

Enginewise, as I said I prefer the newer because of the mouse (for moving, PLZ give back keyboard in combat!), but a lot of people prefer the old engine because it makes the world seem larger.

So all in all, I think A1 is superior in its writing and world description and introduction (duh..), but A6 is a better game overall.

Edit: The old trilogy is being remade, combining my favorite engine with my favorite story smile

I have played all of the Avernums. I have beaten all of them except for the sixth (unregistered).

Avernum 1- Starting out with fresh storyline. You can do a lot of exploring. At the start of the game is a little tough to gain levels but once you get the hang of it you'll get a lot in no time.

Avernum 2- Storyline is the consequences of some of your actions from the end game of A1. New race introduced. Gameplay is about the same as A1. Exploring is cut back a little due to clearances and badges and other stuff. Some areas that were traveled in A1 are blocked.

Avernum 3- Storyline achieved from the end of A2 and is a little linear. Game area is totally new. Many restrictions on exploring such as plagues and time.

Avernum 4- New game engine and graphics. Some of the storyline comes from end of A3. New enemy introduced. Has the same areas as found in A1, but different look. Storyline is somewhat linear.

Avernum 5- Just like A4 except for game area. Old enemy from A4 is back. A little more than somewhat linear.

Avernum 6- New game engine and grapics. Same areas A4 with a few exceptions. (I can't give too much detail on this game because I've only played the demo).

Post #514 cool

A major difference in A5 is that you're playing Empire soldiers rather than Avernites. While you're still (probably) "good guys", the characters you meet don't necessarily treat you as if you are. Some players didn't like that.

For me, it was the first Avernum game I'd played (outside of BoA). I didn't suffer from lack of backstory, though going back and playing the rest of the series afterward did put a slightly different spin on things for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't seen much of A1 and A2, but I've been an A3 fan for years. I like A3, because you get to explore all sorts of places, such as the tower of magi, blackcrag fortress, massive multi-layer dungeons. One had four huge layers, meaning the dungeon took a while to solve, especially as it interacted with 4 outposts. Won't say what dungeon though, I don't like to give huge spoilers. But A3 is cool. Massive world, I've played for ages yet still haven't seen it all.

I prefered A3 demo to full A4. It's that good.

If you enjoyed A3 that much, you should really like A1 and A2. The game engine is very similar, with multilevel dungeons, Tower of Magi, boat rides, adventure and great storytelling if you take the time to talk to everyone.

Personally I prefer the outdoor/town layout better than the two level world of A4-6. But that's just me.