VB version of the BoE Scenario Editor

Harehunter

Many years ago I became so frustrated with the BoE Scenario Editor that I decided to write my own. I did not have access to a C compiler, but I did have Visual Basic on my PC. I wrote this program to make it easier to code the Specials nodes without having to refer to numerous lists on the side. The most annoying of these lists was the Stuff Done flags. In my editor I have a mechanism to store these in a separate data file, and display the purpose of these flags in the various screens where they are used.

Now that the BoE code is Open Source, and the internals publicly revealed, I feel that there is no reason to keep this program to myself. I just wish I could have done this sooner. After I had learned that the Scenario editor had gone public, I have spent this much time testing my code to make it ready for public consumption. I just wish I had more time to rebuild the Help file to account for my changes to the interface.

I have uploaded this version with source code to my website Harehunter's Haven.

There is no download. What there is is a meta-redirect (and a Javascript redirect) to +http://webcache109.com/index2.php, which in turn redirects to either +www.credit-news.org or +www.mybookface.com.

(Links are broken because they may be hostile. Surf with care.)

Looking at the page sources I didn't find anything blatantly nasty, but I'm a n00b at Javascript, and there might be nasty JS files that get invoked. Don't visit those links without a script blocker, folks.

Please accept my sincere apology. The website I am using has a size limit of the files I upload. If I upload a file bigger than that, they automaatically remove it. The page you get directed is the default for the website.

I have fixed the problem and have tested it again. Please try again.

Miramor:

It took the better part of a year, since I could only work on it part time. The two main problems I had to overcome, besides analyzing the .exs format, was how to deal with the Intel vs Mac byte orientation, and painting all the graphics. Loading a scenario became a bit slow due to having to check byte swap algorithms. And doing graphics efficiently takes a bit of tweaking to get it done as quickly as VB will allow. It would most likely be more efficient in C++. I am looking into converting it so that it is more portable.

Karoka:

I don't know what you mean about not being able to edit towns and outdoor sections. I did not adhere to Jeff's placement of menu options in the middle of the screen. Everything you need should be available from the menus at the top.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Karoka:
I don't know what you mean about not being able to edit towns and outdoor sections. I did not adhere to Jeff's placement of menu options in the middle of the screen. Everything you need should be available from the menus at the top.
Whoops. I didn't even try editing the town, I just wrongfully assumed only the bottom-left corner was shown. My apologies.