Avadon: Black screen on start

Ignus

I bought Avadon for PC from Gamersgate and am having trouble getting it working. Initially I got a runtime error on starting, as soon as I got past the setup menu. I've since updated my drivers and now I'm no longer getting the runtime error, instead it just sits on a black screen forever.

I'm running XP with an ATI Radeon HD 4600.

Thanks.

I,too, am running xp with a 4600... got mine from direct2drive. same problem. The interesting thing is that the demo from spiderweb works without a hitch. I almost think it might be the securom (or connected with it somehow) that is tacked onto the digital download services. Regardless, the direct2drive version is not running for me and I have tried: reinstall, redownload, reboot, Different combos of those, Deleting the stuff that was different from the spiderweb version (I got the farthest along doing this), update drivers, downgrade drivers... I sent my info to direct2drive and haven't heard anything from them yet.

-Scott

also I am on xp... it will run fine on my wifes vista

I bought this from spiderweb so it's not just gamersgate version. Mine is doing the same thing with the same hardware, windows 7 32bit ultimate ati radeon hd 4600. The demo works, the registered version doesnt. Updated registered version doesnt work either.

I'm encountering the same black screen on start problem - I have the GamersGate version, which doesn't work but the Spiderweb demo does.

I'm running Vista Home Basic 32 bit and a Radeon 4870 HD with the most up to date AMD display drivers.

Now I'm sad, the demo was great!

My monitor is Samsung 25in 1080p HDTV, its not the monitor, my system is fast and runs everything else without a hitch. I am currently running Crysis 2 at just below max settings on all. Same with Dragon Age 2. Its frustrating that I bought an old school rpg game that isnt ballz-to-the-wall graphics but I cant even run it when I can run one of the most modern games out for pc like Crysis 2.

We are about to put the following entry in Avadon support ...

GamersGate Version of Avadon Not Working!

For some reason, the version of Avadon being sold on GamersGate for Windows seems to have a failure rate higher that for the version sold on our web site. Since the code for these two versions is essentially the same, we suspect that something is wrong with the software they have wrapped around our game.

Should you purchase the game from GamersGate and find that it does not work correctly, take the following steps.

1. Download the demo from our site and run it. If it works, skip to step 3.

2. Download the Direct version of the game here:

ftp://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/win/AvadonDX.zip

Move it into Program Files/Spiderweb Software/Avadon and run it. If it works, go to step 3. If not, contact GamersGate and ask for a refund.

3. Should our version of the game function, write us at support@spiderwebsoftware.com requesting an Avadon key. Give us the registration key GamersGate provided to you. We will get you up and running.

We apologize for the difficulty and inconvenience, and we are going to contact GamersGate and see if we can get more information from them.

I just purchased the game on GamersGate and it works fine, so it's not a universal problem. I'm about to buy it on Direct2Drive, but I expect the same.

If you have had this problem, please answer these questions to help me troubleshoot it.

1. What version of Windows are you using? Vista? XP?

2. How are you trying to run the game? The icon on the desktop? Running it from the Start menu?

Also, one thing to try, that might be very helpful. Try running the game by double-clicking on the icon on the desktop. If it doesn't work, right-click it and select properties. See what is entered in the Start In: field and let me know. That entry should _not_ be blank.

- Jeff Vogel

Just to check this I redownloaded and reinstalled the GamersGate version (still not working for me) and checked the Start In: field. It's not blank, it says the following which is the correct path for my install:

"D:\Games\Avadon The Black Fortress"

Looks like I'll have to skip to step 3 since the demo works perfectly!