Avadon install on Win 7 64 bit

So to confirm: your OS is windows7 64bit, you have downloaded AvadonDemo.exe from the spiderweb website (and not anywhere else), but it still fails to install?

Assuming you have administrator privileges and there is a sufficiency of disk space & memory, it's hard to see what could be causing this. Can you post more details of your machine and its configuration?

For the slow game problem, go to

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/techsupp.html

and read the entry on what to do if your game is running slowly.

As for the installer refusing to run, if you did indeed try redownloading with a different browser and it still doesn't work, the part of your OS dedicated to unpacking and installing msi files (Microsoft installer files) may be damaged.

You need to have Windows Installer 5.0 properly installed on your machine. Running Windows Update might be a good start.

- Jeff Vogel

OK, the problem had nothing to do with the operating system being 64 bits. Rather, it was because I moved the default OS downloads folder to a different partition. This can be easily done in Windows 7 by right-clicking on the folder and adjusting the settings on the "Location" tab of the properties page. This is a new feature of Windows 7 which Avadon apparently does not support.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, going with newer drivers is not always a workable solution. I have a multi-monitor setup with 2 ATI cards driving 4 monitors. This works fine for most stuff (including Battlefield 2, 2142, Halo, etc) but Avadon simply crashes after the opening (resolution selection) screen. This happens regardless of the selected options (full screen/windowed, resolution, gameplay option, etc). To add insult to injury, the crash scrambles the display properties (positioning & resolution) for the monitors which then require resetting.

A newer Catalyst driver is available which "fixes" Avadon, but it does not support the second video card. When facing a choice between Avadon and giving up 2 of my monitors, I'm afraid the game loses hands down. Nor am I overly enthused at the prospect of replacing my video cards with a single, quad output card due to the cost.

As a final work around I did try setting it up in XP mode (Win7's XP mode virtual machine) and Vista (in another VM). It does work that way but the gameplay is unbearably slow due to the serious graphics limitations of the VMs).

So as it stands, I have a copy of Avadon that will never be played......

Originally Posted By: Rick Simon
As a final work around I did try setting it up in XP mode (Win7's XP mode virtual machine) and Vista (in another VM). It does work that way but the gameplay is unbearably slow due to the serious graphics limitations of the VMs).
Some VMs allow you you to change how much base memory and video memory is available to the VM; you might want to play around with these settings a bit, to see if it'll speed things up.