Waypoint question

Jerakeen

I want character 16 to go to a waypoint when the party first arrives, so this is what I did:

Quote:
beginstate START_STATE;

// This state is called every turn the party is in this town.

if (get_flag(2,0) == 0)

approach_waypoint(16,0,0);

if ((dist_to_waypoint(16,0) == 0) && (get_flag(2,0) == 0)) {

set_flag(2,0,1);

The thing is, it only works about 80% of the time. Occasionally he just wanders off for a while and then comes back later. It's literally just two spaces away and there's no obstruction. Am I doing something wrong or is this just an innate peculiarity of the engine?

I'm not sure if it matters, but looking at some of my code I've usually used a value of 1 for the third parameter of approach_waypoint (the distance to approach within). It might also be a good idea to check the return value of the approach_waypoint call so that you can know within the script whether the character decided to move or not.

Also, just as a sanity check: if you based this script on basicnpc, are you certain that you either removed the fidgeting and return-to-start code, or made sure that the code you showed above comes before it?

Oh, no, I should have specified that this was in the town script. So I should put it in the creature script? That's probably my problem right there.

Edit: That seems to have done the trick. I had stolen that code directly out of Outpost Valley, but I guess in that circumstance it didn't matter if the character wandered a bit, since the party was locked in a cell at the time. smile