Geneforge 2: HELP!!!

Shaper Shaper

I have a Mac OS X 10.5.8 and I'm not able to play Geneforge 2. See, whenever I try to run Geneforge 2, there is a message that says that I need a 800x600 screen and a thousand colors. I have a screen of 1280x800 and million colors. Why isn't Geneforge 2, then? Even when I used to be able to play the game before?

Do you have Intel integrated graphics? Some of the Intel GPUs do not support 16-bit (thousands of colors) resolutions. You have a resolution high enough, but if it doesn't support 16-bit color, it won't work. Why older Spiderweb games require you to use 16-bit color instead of 32-bit color is a question for the ages.

Actually, I think that this requirement in the games may date from when old Macs would run by default in less than their full possible color depth (glancing at Wikipedia it seems likely that this was for memory reasons; at higher color depths machines with only a small amount of VRAM could only support lower resolutions than at lower color depth). My parents' old LC II did this, it would boot using 8 bit grayscale (if I remember correctly), so for various uses it had to be manually switched to color mode, which could be at either 8 or 16 bit depth.

The issue with Spiderweb games is that Jeff seems to have overlooked the possibility that there could ever exist a machine which would support only greater than 16 color depth, and so the check (which used to exist in the BoA editor, for example) looked for exactly 16 bit color being supported. On new machines which only use 32 bit color this check failed, causing the program to erroneously conclude that it couldn't run. Of course this had been causing annoyance for years anyway when it would try to switch color depth from 32 bits down to 16, but it becomes a real problem when it completely stops the software from running.

Yeah, this is a pretty common problem for older Mac software, particularly games, due to their reliance on color graphics. I don't think it was an issue of not ever expecting > X colors support, so much as the system architecture that made a 256 colors game run faster in 256 colors than in "thousands of colors" aka 32768.