Nethergate: Resurrection

Just wanted to let Nethergate fans know that we are a week from finishing the Roman side of Nethergate: Resurrection, the ground-up rewrite of Nethergate. We'll start beta testing soon after that. It should be out this Summer.

A few notes.

i. It will use the Blades of Avernum engine. 800x600 resolution.

ii. It will be $25, or $12 if you've already registered Nethergate.

iii. Old Nethergate saved games won't be compatible. Everything is wayyyyy too different.

iv. There will be two new Sylak items.

v. There will be two new dungeons, several new quests, and a ton of new magic items to hunt for.

vi. For Mac users, it will be Universal. For Windows users, it will be fully compatible with Vista.

- Jeff Vogel

Ninja edit: I wrote the wrong upgrade price. idiot me.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i. Wonderful. Will it keep the same spells though? I really hope so.

ii. Good

iii. Oh well. It's more fun to start over anyway.

iv. Sweet. Will they be completely new or just copies of A3's Xian items?

v. Makes the whole thing worthwhile.

vi. Very, very good.

There are usually a few things that disappoint me in an announcement like this, but I have nothing but praise for everything you said. I can't wait to play it! laugh

Quote:
Originally written by Endemos:
Why not? I'm willing to pay it.

—Alorael, who in fact only said it to inflict anguish upon others whose lives may hang upon $10. He's giggling with evil glee now.
I tend to agree. While I'm a fan of cheap and/or free if it comes between the developer gets to stay in business and charge a little more or not and go out of business and I think it's a good value. I'll pay a reasonable price. And as far as value goes entertainment unit per hour Spiderweb games are as cheap as it comes. When it comes to a developer who supports the Mac OS as a first class citizen I'll doublely pay. (Note to Jeff this is a figure of speech please don't charge me $50 for Nethergate, unless you have to, then I will pay it, because it sounds like it rocks).

Could someone please remind me of the differences between the original Nethergate engine and the Blades of Avernum engine? I know conversation is different and gameplay is generally smoother, but wasn't that it?

Quote:
Tyran:

iv. Makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Fixed your typo.

For starters, Nethergate was only 640x480, while BoA has an 800x600 game screen. The character graphics are laid out differently for Nethergate and have only one death graphic. The automap was a separate window like in the Exile games. Spells and experience were different. Nethergate doesn't actually have levels. Nethergate has no quest list. It also is incapable of running fullscreen. There are probably several other differences that I'm neglecting to mention.

Very unfortunate typo. The upgrade price will be $12, not $10. My bad. I hope this doesn't enrage people.

The Blades of Avernum engine has a ton of things the Nethergate engine doesn't. Quest log. A nicer automap (which isn't in its own window). Nicer graphical things.

It also has full scripting. The encounters and bad guys will be a little more scripted, though not a lot. The bad guys will have a wider range of abilities, but there won't be any huge multi-phase encounters outside of the new dungeons.

- Jeff Vogel

Personally, I'm torn on the whole CD-or-key form of registration. I mean if I have the choice to just buy a key, I will. It's quicker, and I save about a fiver on shipping fees (Nethergate cost me $40 to buy).

BUT...

I adore my Nethergate CD. It has all the Spiderweb demos on it, so if I need to reinstall, they're all in one place. And it looks pretty!

So, even if there is an option for me to pay my 12 bucks and download the game, I might buy the CD this time.

(Also, your envelopes are way cooler than ours :p )

Quote:
Originally written by Jame2:
I hope there's a demo. I would like to try it before I spend my already too-low money.
There is always a demo. What PGLB was asking was if the demo and the full version will be completely separate, like the original Nethergate and BoE, or if it will be a registrable demo like the other Spiderweb games.

The FTP download of the full version for BoE (and now the original Nethergate?) seems to have worked out fine. I imagine that Jeff would do the same for N:R (new abbreviation!) if the demo is incomplete. On the other hand, he's also moved away from incomplete demos and returned to registration codes, so it's likely he'll stick with those.

—Alorael, who is somewhat curious about how easily Nethergate can be imported into BoA or equivalent engine. The terrain and graphics should be easy, but the dialogue will require work. How much did underlying mechanics change, and how much should be applied to Nethergate?

It will be a registration code system. You won't have to wait for a CD to be mailed.

"Alorael, who is somewhat curious about how easily Nethergate can be imported into BoA or equivalent engine. The terrain and graphics should be easy, but the dialogue will require work. How much did underlying mechanics change, and how much should be applied to Nethergate?"

It has been a considerable amount of work, especially adapting the dialogue to the newer system. The game mechanics (level gaining, combat mechanics) will be much closer to Blades of Avernum (though, of course, the spells and skills are all from Nethergate).

- Jeff Vogel

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:
The game mechanics (level gaining, combat mechanics) will be much closer to Blades of Avernum
This makes me a little bit sad, since I thought Nethergate's engine was a particularly good fit to its setting and plot, but I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Quote:
It will be a registration code system. You won't have to wait for a CD to be mailed.

- Jeff Vogel
But there will be a CD available right(I'm assuming based on all the other items.) I like getting the CD's for several reasons, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when they come in the mail, the registration key is all taken care of and I don't have to remember to back it up or email to get it(I'm verrrrrry forgetful my wife will attest). Plus I like to think maybe Jeff gets another penny or two from the purchase of the disk(not likely much seeing that they aren't just run of the mill CD-Rs or something he burns but nice printed disks).

The only problem with getting a CD of the new game is if there is an update. I remember for Avernum 4 sending away for the first CD version and then still having to download all the updated versions and patches,

I hope Jeff keeps the random monster encounters from the earlier version, There weren't that many, but they did provide a little extra experience.

Quote:
Originally written by macdude22:
I like to think maybe Jeff gets another penny or two from the purchase of the disk(not likely much seeing that they aren't just run of the mill CD-Rs or something he burns but nice printed disks).
This is true for most of the games, but my copy of A4 came on a CD-R with a paper label.

Quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:
Quote:
The game mechanics (level gaining, combat mechanics) will be much closer to Blades of Avernum
This makes me a little bit sad, since I thought Nethergate's engine was a particularly good fit to its setting and plot, but I'll wait and see how it turns out.
Agreed. The moves to the BoA skill point system will make me especially sad. And dialog... meh.

Although I am really looking forward to the remake and will certainly buy it, I wonder if I'm going to end up doing with it what I did with Avernum 2... never finishing because I got distracted by wanting to play the original instead.

One other thing with switching to BoA engine is spell point recovery in a dungeon is no longer possible with long wait. This will change the way druids cast spells in dungeons where you can leave like under the Ruined Hall and with the three crones. No more closing the door to a room to rest until restored.

I did like the old skill point/experience system since in the beginning you can improve your characters quickly.

Still it will fix some inconviences in the interface.

Oh please please please make Nethergate dungeons revisitable. That was my major disappointment in Nethergate v1, having to leave behind such great eq because of weight limits and never being able to get it again.

Also it has been so long since v1 won't it be hard for people to confirm their IDs? I must have paid for it using my real name, but it was so many computers and OSes ago that I no longer even have the game or the registration details (though I think it came by CD, didn't it?)

I also remember that it was the first RPG I ever played outside telnet MUDs, and the "shareware demon" was the first such barrier-fiend I had ever encountered.

Hmm. Quite probably it was also the first thing I ever bought online, almost certainly the first game I ever bought online.

Either way, worst case scenario I'll just pay the $25 price, I fully expect that the game will be worth that and more.

Quote:
Originally written by Istara:
Oh please please please make Nethergate dungeons revisitable. That was my major disappointment in Nethergate v1, having to leave behind such great eq because of weight limits and never being able to get it again.
What in the world are you talking about? All the dungeons in Nethergate are revisitable, and any items left behind are still there when you come back.