Exile 3 Cannot Run

aaronjbc123

Hi, I've been playing these games for awhile but I got a new XP computer recently, and exile wont run, or even install, in specific exile3. I know avernum is recommended, but I despise every to do with it, and want to play exile.

The error is

16 bit Windows Subsytem

C:/Windows/Sys32/Autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Windows apps. Choose close to terminate application.

So I'm wondering is there any way that I could play exile3?

This is the topic where SkeleTony talked about the help file he had that fixes your problem:

16 But MS-DOS error

And this is a link to the help file:

XPHomeFiles.exe

edit: And, Mr. Vogel, as I said in that old topic, quite a few people encounter this problem. It would be great, if you offered a link to the patch on your company's site. SkeleTony isn't often around, so I seem to be the only one now who still has the link.

A helpful bit of text will soon be on all of the Exile support pages. I found this page

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

to be extremely helpful. I will also have the repaired files available for download.

Apparently, the damage is caused by a Trojan horse. Anyone who has had this problem may want to get some appropriately powerful Antivirus software in the near future.

- Jeff Vogel

- Jeff Vogel