"Your skills aren't high enough to use this ability"

athom

Hello, I just started playing the game, and I can't help but notice that my Shaman can't use her big damage ability, despite having three levels in it! My sorceress companion has the same problem, she can use one of her level 1 abilities (Daze), but not the other (attack skill). I looked through the help but I couldn't find anything that would clue me in as to what I'm doing wrong! Any suggestions?

Level 3 skills work automatically when you use it at level 1. Sometimes with cleave and others it is only a percentage chance that they will work.

Level 6 skills require using a different ability letter than the lower version and usually do something different.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door.

I appriciate the response, but what I meant is that the skill doesn't work AT ALL. Even though I have multiple levels in it, it is still greyed out, with the text "Your skills aren't high enough to use this ability". Is this normal, am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug?

Greyed out skills require more skill points to use them. When you level up and train you put skill points into increasing an existing one or learning a new one. It should work if you trained in it. I've only got that message for ones I haven't trained in.

If you are low in vitality then you can't use skills.

Yeah, pretty sure its a bug at this point... or maybe I'm still playing the demo (can't register till my paycheck comes through). Assuming that isn't a regular feature of the demo, is there any specific place you go to report bugs, or is just posting it here enough?

athom, I think I can help.

1. Tell me the exact name of the ability you can't use.

2. Open your training window and tell me how much you have currently trained the skill attached to that ability.

You could also send screenshots to support@spiderwebsoftware.com. Take a shot of both the training screen and the use ability screen.

But remember. Each skill has TWO abilities attached to it. You get the first at level 1 and the second at level 6.

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: athom
Hello, I just started playing the game, and I can't help but notice that my Shaman can't use her big damage ability, despite having three levels in it! My sorceress companion has the same problem, she can use one of her level 1 abilities (Daze), but not the other (attack skill). I looked through the help but I couldn't find anything that would clue me in as to what I'm doing wrong! Any suggestions?

I've noticed that the Sorceress attacks with a staff or rod for the main attack. By default, the Apprentice Staff (something like that) is equipped at the beginning. Did you un-equip this weapon, by chance?

Jeff (obviously) pays more attention to the boards when a new game is launched, but there is a specific forum for bug reports.

Figured out SOMETHING - Spirit Claw and Firebolt don't appear on the useable skills menu! Is that normal? Icy Bolt and Spirit Charge appear in the place where one would expect Firebolt and Spirit Claw to be, and the space where one would expect Icy and Charge to be is empty. Is that how its supposed to be? Sending screenshots now.

Yeah I'm having the same problem. I've gotten to the Wretch lands and can't use anything on my sorceress besides daze and that first protective spell. I've trained in lots of different skills but I get the ""Your skills aren't high enough to use this ability" message when I try to use them.

The same thing goes for my Blademaster and Shaman. The only abilities I can use are the ones I started the game with. It's getting a little boring not having anything new to try out.

Sorceress firebolt and Shaman spirit claw are the default melee attacks for those classes. You can switch to missile attack (use w) to get a range physical attack if you have an equipped weapon.

The center column skills, your starting melee attack skill, and anything with locks act automatically without you having to do anything.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Sorceress firebolt and Shaman spirit claw are the default melee attacks for those classes. You can switch to missile attack (use w) to get a range physical attack if you have an equipped weapon.

The center column skills, your starting melee attack skill, and anything with locks act automatically without you having to do anything.

This is the confirmation that I was looking for. I was assuming that they were default attacks, given the item descriptions, the attacks, and what the item did on various characters.