The Bard's Sanctum

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Oh hey, while we're on the subject of LotR, I'll just drop this article I found linked to by my favorite blog ever.

Discuss

Personally I have always detested arguments like the D&D and Harry Potter lead to the Devil, etc., etc. What such arguments all overlook is that fiction is harmless SO LONG AS IT REMAINS FICTION. If you start harping on the succubi in the Nine Hells, then people will get sucked into the "dark side" of whatever fiction they are involved in.

I don't know any demons, but there are people who really call themselves Satanists. A weird guy named LaVey started the movement, sometime in the 1960's I think. Honestly, their religion isn't that bad, though it isn't particularly admirable, either. You can Google the term to find their history and philosophy. None of it is especially shocking or disturbing.

LaVeyan Satanism doesn't seem to encourage working for others. It's basically just brazen selfishness and hedonism, openly declared, though it does include a few strict prohibitions, notably one against harming children. It has nothing whatever to do with worshiping the Christian devil; to the LaVeyan Satanists, 'Satan' is just a metaphor.

A Satanist neighbor would probably help you out if you were in trouble, but only if they liked you, because then they would feel like it. They would feel no obligation to help you just because you were a neighbor. You could be pretty sure they weren't going to bother you if you didn't bother them, but it would be a bad idea to get them mad at you. Like a lot of people who don't call themselves Satanists, really. Which I think is one of their points, that they're not worse than other people, but just more honest.

As a Christian myself, I sometimes wonder whether, if Jesus were retelling the parable of the Good Samaritan today, he might make it about a Good Satanist instead.

Well, Anton LaVey has been dead for a dozen years now, so it's not clear what he's indulging in at the moment. Nor would I presume to speculate about the philosophical convictions of any actual demons that might exist. Though for what it's worth, the Epistle of James states that demons are theists. Martin Luther famously called it 'an Epistle of straw' for its emphasis on works over faith, but I've always liked James.

As far as I can tell this discussion is fine so far, but we should remember that these boards are really a marketing platform for Spiderweb Software, and not a public service. Anything that gets controversial enough to discourage potential customers will have to go somewhere else than here.

Originally Posted By: Fflewddur Fflam, Drinker of Ale
Personally I have always detested arguments like the D&D and Harry Potter lead to the Devil, etc., etc. What such arguments all overlook is that fiction is harmless SO LONG AS IT REMAINS FICTION. If you start harping on the succubi in the Nine Hells, then people will get sucked into the "dark side" of whatever fiction they are involved in.

Um, did you read that article? It had nothing about Satan or the Devil or anything religious at all, whatsoever, in it. It was not arguing that LotR is leading our kids to sex, drugs, and rock and roll (Or rap or hip-hop or whatever the hell it is people think kids shouldn't be doing to these days. Violent video games?). It was arguing that the book is anti-industrialist Romantic-era propaganda that is stealthily undermining our society.

Are you listening? This is important, so I'll bold it. You should care about this because it is still going on, and people need to be able to recognize propaganda when they see it. Remember the huge success of Avatar? Two, pushing three billion dollars, and it was essentially a piece of hackjob propaganda railing against industrialization, and I'll bet you that 90% of the people who saw the movie missed this because they weren't looking for it. Same deal with Star Wars- although SW was more in favor of political aristocracy as opposed to just anti-progress, though we do get a good deal of that in the prequels.

And people, yourself and myself included, are still affected by propaganda, almost regardless of how smart or educated or affluent you are. If you think that for whatever reason you're special and immune, then, well, I've got a Reich to sell you, and you will be buying it.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Two, pushing three billion dollars, and it was essentially a piece of hackjob propaganda railing against industrialization, and I'll bet you that 90% of the people who saw the movie missed this because they weren't looking for it.

Isn't this a couple of hundred years too late?

I agree that Tolkien's Luddite worldview was ridiculous. Nothing less than a thousand years old can ever be any good. Sheesh.

And yet, as an old friend of mine (who died young of cancer) once convinced me, The Lord of the Rings is an astonishingly subtle book. I rather suspect it turned out more sophisticated than Tolkien himself realized.

(For instance, practically every single character who learns that Frodo has the Ring reacts immediately with a nasty little speech about what a badass they are, and how lucky little Frodo is that they're a good guy. This may well have been just ham-fisted melodrama on Tolkien's part. There's no comment in the text at any point to suggest that this reaction is due to the Ring's character-warping influence. But it works nonetheless, or even better for not being pointed out: everyone who sees the Ring, no matter how noble, shows an ugly streak for a moment. Maybe if Tolkien had been a slightly better writer, he might not have done this as well.)

Anyway, despite all the apparent authorial preaching about ancient glories, the fact is that in LOTR the ancient ways are not so much tragically doomed as pathetically sterile. Despite a lot of atmosphere and declamation about how great the old days were, the plot of LOTR runs much more the opposite way.