Waiting Waiting Waiting

Wanderer

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Obsidian rushing a game out the door? Heaven forbid!

but kotor was developed by bioware

Only the first one. LucasArts had Obsidian develop the second one.

Because, y'know, when you develop a game that's critically acclaimed as one of the best games of all time, it's obvious that you should give the contract to make the sequel to a totally different company and then not even let them finish it before you order them to ship it. It's almost starting to seem like a string of decisions George Lucas himself would make!

As far as I know, Alpha Protocol is the only thing made by them that isn't built off a pre-existing franchise. Kinda weird considering some of the people working at Obsidian.

Apparently they might develop some Wheel of Time games. A video game adaptation of a series that took the longest time to come to a close, developed by a company that chronically rushes games out the door unfinished? It's the perfect storm.

As a relative late-comer to Spiderweb's games, I was wondering if it was standard practice here to release a game without a prior declared (concrete) release date, as seems to be the case with Avadon? Or is the end of February thing just wishful thinking on people's part and when the game is close to completion, there would be a formal announcement of the release date?

I understand that this is a small independent developer setup, but one would think some publicity about the game's release date prior to the actual release would drum up some excitement and be good for business.

The end of February thing is a rough estimate from Jeff, who will (implicitly) formally announce the release date on the date of the release by releasing game (formally).

In other words, it is standard practice for Spiderweb to release a game without a prior declared (concrete) release date. As for drumming up excitement, the vague release date seems to be working pretty well. It may not ever quite build up to a fever pitch in the couple of days or several hours before the release (since no one but he knows with certainty when those are), but that wouldn't necessarily help get him any additional customers.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Also Jeff places the game on the servers to test if the game can be downloaded before announcing that it's available. So you will see players posting that they downloaded it hours before the announcement and this page getting updated.

The real hardcores have a string of tabs open in firefox, each a different guess of the address for the ftp download of the demo, all of which contantly auto-refreshing. (possibly also a macro to flush DNS cache every few minutes)

Now I ask you, does JV really need help drumming up excitement?

Edit: "Baby Gaga" LOL

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Also Jeff places the game on the servers to test if the game can be downloaded before announcing that it's available. So you will see players posting that they downloaded it hours before the announcement and this page getting updated.

How do players know to get it from the servers before it's announced??

Anyway, I've been waiting patiently for the last year for this game, and now it's the weekend, and I'm dying to get it and get started! I guess I'll just check the main page and this forum thread repeatedly this weekend.

Originally Posted By: Chris
I've just got the FTP mounted on my finder pointed to the mac downloads directory.

In theory I know what you mean, but in practice...not so much. I guess my Mac skills aren't what I thought they were. Anyway, I appreciate the response. I'll continue to just check back here. I'm sure this thread will explode once it's out for all to see.

Take a look at the Avernum 6 page. Note that some of the download links are to addresses which use the ftp scheme, rather than http. If one were to remove the last component in the paths of these URLs (Avernum6Demo.extension), one would have a URL referring to a directory by means of FTP. It's not hard to guess that this is the same directory into which Jeff will be placing AvadonDemo.extension, or similar, when the time comes.

Editing URLs by hand to get into things for which one does not have a direct link is a basic internet skill! Indeed, it should be cultivated as an instinct.

I would, however, advise restraint. Jeff's server doesn't need to be hammered with extra connections. When the game appears, you'll no doubt hear about it.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan

Apparently they might develop some Wheel of Time games. A video game adaptation of a series that took the longest time to come to a close, developed by a company that chronically rushes games out the door unfinished? It's the perfect storm.

Wheel of Time-game has been already made as a FPS over 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: loyal servile of sauske uchiha
whats an FPS?

First Person Shooter. It's the type of game were it seems like you're the one holding the gun, like Doom or Halo. It's classified as "first person" to distinguish it from third person or "over-the-shoulder" shooters, like, say, Mass Effect.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
First Person Shooter. It's the type of game were it seems like you're the one holding the gun, like Doom or Halo. It's classified as "first person" to distinguish it from third person or "over-the-shoulder" shooters, like, say, Mass Effect.

these days that's something of a historical distinction: i've heard lots of people referring to third-person shooters as FPSes

(it doesn't help that a number of modern shooters let you switch between first-person and third-person view with a keypress)

Quote:
If one were to remove the last component in the paths of these URLs (Avernum6Demo.extension), one would have a URL referring to a directory by means of FTP.

and since it's all open to the public viewing, you can find some interesting things to read in one of the links. things that probably shouldn't be placed just like that in a public folder.

It entertains me that the seller points out that breast milk ice cream is "free range." It's true, but it's the sort of thing that feels so obvious that the very fact of pointing it out draws more attention to the possibility of it being otherwise than just leaving it be would.

By which I mean, the point at which we start factory farming humans for breast milk may be the point at which I finally and fully give up on the human race.

Originally Posted By: yarrmateys
Quote:
If one were to remove the last component in the paths of these URLs (Avernum6Demo.extension), one would have a URL referring to a directory by means of FTP.

and since it's all open to the public viewing, you can find some interesting things to read in one of the links. things that probably shouldn't be placed just like that in a public folder.

I emailed Jeff about that, but he didn't seem to think it was important.

Originally Posted By: yarrmateys

Ah, interesting indeed. But I wouldn't want to ruin anything for myself.

Originally Posted By: loyal servile of sasuke uchiha
windows have to wait an extra few months? *groans*
Patience is a virtue. You could always play some of Jeff's other games to keep yourself occupied.

Besides, a later Windows release date means that we'll never see most of the bugs found by Mac beta testers, and even more bugs will be found by the Windows beta testers--and worked out by Jeff--by the time we finally get to play.

Also, making both the Mac and Windows versions at the same time is basically like trying to code two games at once.
Quote:
why is it ALWASE mac before windows?
Because that's the way Jeff has been doing things for well over a decade, and it's worked well for him so far.

As I said above, patience.