Waiting Waiting Waiting

Wanderer

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: AaronC
how difficult is it to install/dual boot whatever Mac onto a PC?
I'd like to know that. Ever since I learned how to run virtual computers in VirtualBox and the like, I've been sort of collecting operating systems to experiment with.
Quote:
Gonna be hard waiting another few months after first release.
Not for me, it isn't. See my post above.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: AaronC
how difficult is it to install/dual boot whatever Mac onto a PC?
I'd like to know that. Ever since I learned how to run virtual computers in VirtualBox and the like, I've been sort of collecting operating systems to experiment with.

It's doable, but unfortunately since Apple's business is largely predicated on making money from selling hardware they really aren't fond of people using their software on other hardware. In particular, as I understand it, things like drivers can become serious issues, or at least annoyances, since Mac OS expects to be run on a relatively narrow spectrum of equipment. I don't have any experience with any of this, though.

So what you're saying is that it can be done, but is probably more trouble than it's worth.

There's a computer store near me, and they have Snow Leopard relatively cheap (about $30-50US). I just thought I'd pick up a copy and run it as a virtual machine in VirtualBox or Basilisk II or something. The main question is whether it would run on my system at all, virtually or otherwise; I have an AMD processor, and Snow Leopard requires an Intel processor.

Apple's retail price for Snow leopard is $29, so indeed you won't be out much if you decide to try it but don't find it useful. Also, when Apple says that an Intel processor is required, they really mean an x86 processor, as opposed to one of the PowerPC processors such as older Macs contain. AMD's x86 processors are largely the same as Intel's from a user perspective, so as long as it's a relatively new model I'd guess that it won't be an issue.

I took a quick look on google for descriptions of installing Mac OS under Virtual Box, and I saw a lot of articles that looked like they went into pretty thorough detail. You would have to look at them yourself to judge whether they look like stuff you would be comfortable carrying out and then decide whether the end result would be worth the effort. (I would think so, but that's why I got a Mac in the first place. tongue )

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Apple's retail price for Snow leopard is $29, so indeed you won't be out much if you decide to try it but don't find it useful.
Precisely my point if I decide to try it. However, I plan to do more research, just to be sure. I also plan to buy a spare hard drive, just in case Snow Leopard decides to kill one of my hard drives, like virtual Linux did.
Quote:
Also, when Apple says that an Intel processor is required, they really mean an x86 processor, as opposed to one of the PowerPC processors such as older Macs contain. AMD's x86 processors are largely the same as Intel's from a user perspective, so as long as it's a relatively new model I'd guess that it won't be an issue.
My processor is from the computer I built back in October, so it's still fairly recent. I don't know if it's an x86 processor, but I do know it's compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. It's an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, if you want to check the specs.

Quote:
I took a quick look on google for descriptions of installing Mac OS under Virtual Box, and I saw a lot of articles that looked like they went into pretty thorough detail. You would have to look at them yourself to judge whether they look like stuff you would be comfortable carrying out and then decide whether the end result would be worth the effort.
I intend to. I did a lot of research before building my current computer, and this will be no different, except this time the outcome will be a virtual computer.
Quote:
(I would think so, but that's why I got a Mac in the first place. tongue )
I hope it works too, but your guess is probably much better than mine; my last Mac was an Apple][e.

Originally Posted By: Beer and Motor Oil
Just partition your harddrive and install the Mac OS on the partition.
That's what I plan to do, once I get a spare hard drive. One drive will be for my normal stuff, and the other will be for experiments with virtual computers. I don't want to just partition my hard drive for another OS unless I'm absolutely sure the new OS will work on my computer; and if it doesn't work, I don't want to end up with a potentially unusable partition on my hard drive. Therefore, it's going into a virtual environment.
Quote:
Virtual box is way more trouble than it's worth, in my experience.
*shrugs* Hey, it's free, and so far it does just about everything I want it to. And in my experience, VirtualBox isn't nearly as bad as working in Bochs.

Yeah, I currently run a Windows PC with a Snow Leopard partition on an HP laptop, so it's certainly possible to get it to work. It took about a day, and you're going to need to be incredibly familiar with your hardware - since you built the computer, this should be fine.

The only thing to remember is that you're going to need things like a bootloader and drivers (or kexts or whatever) to get your system to work - just installing OS X onto a harddrive and plugging it into a computer is not going to work. As Soul of Wit says, there are plenty of guides for a "Hackintosh", as they're called, so do some reading before-hand. You might find that a critical piece of your hardware isn't compatible at all, so you'll want to check before you waste several hours pulling your hair.

Also, woot, Avadan.

The original topic was actually the question of when Avadon will launch. I'm betting on this weekend, either Saturday between 2 pm and 5 pm Pacific time or Sunday during the same window. I base this on (1) the promise of a late February release and (2) the timing of the posts in the Announcements forum for the last three releases. All were weekend late afternoon announcements.