• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw 36 out of 42, could not get the other six to appear. Try the address I displayed in my last post.

The Map of Avernum (Mapofavernum.bmp) may give insight into the missing portions.

My Avernum 1 Template shows all the outdoor sections.

Avernum 1 Template

Edit:

For those not in the know, the Template is a Blades of Avernum scenario that needs the BoA Editor to be used.

BoA 3D Editor - Windows version

If you are on a Mac, you will need the Mac Editor instead.

Do you mean the town maps or the outdoor maps? My template has both but none of the maps are annotated.

Annotated maps are nice but you probably won't need them if you use Far Sight and Unlock Doors. Make notes of which towns have impassable doors& A1 is fairly straightforward, there are no maps in the outdoors that you can't access.

Actually, the biggest problem is that I'm chasing a lot of email addresses. Some are dead, and some might not have been checked in years. I've also asked some other people who seem to be involved with Silverchat if they're still around and know how to contact him, but so far nothing.

—Alorael, who won't give up yet. Just because the internet is nearly instant doesn't mean the people on it are.

Btw, I don't know if Silver is ever going to see this, but if it's just a matter of not wanting to host the site anymore, I'd be happy to throw the maps up on a site and give proper credit back to Silver. I'm already paying for hosting on a site that barely sees any use, so I wouldn't mind finding some more uses for it.

So I heard back from Silver, but only one response that didn't get anywhere. Still waiting on an offer to provide hosting, sort through files, or whatever else it takes to get the maps up and available again.

—Alorael, who actually has no idea if Silver is male or female. He thought that Silver was female, but then something convinced him otherwise, and now he can't remember why either way.

Quote:
So I heard back from Silver

Congrats! I thought you might have to wait months for a first contact.

Quote:
Making new annotated maps..

Owww...those maps of silver's are a piece of art in my opinion. I'm not saying noone else could come up with something equally beautiful, just saying that they are special, very much so. And very much part of Spiderweb and its progress through the years. They shouldn't be lost.

Nothing new from Silver, but Tycho Maudd planned for this eventuality and already backed up the site. I've got the files from him, and now I've got a working computer again, so I'll try to get them up.

—Alorael, who is willing to hand the files over to as many people as possible so they don't disappear. Having them widely mirrored can only be a good thing.

Quote:
Nothing new from Silver, but Tycho Maudd planned for this eventuality and already backed up the site. I've got the files from him, and now I've got a working computer again, so I'll try to get them up.

—Alorael, who is willing to hand the files over to as many people as possible so they don't disappear. Having them widely mirrored can only be a good thing.

That's great news. And yes, I want the files. I mail you my e-mail. smile

edit: To Loyal Servile
Wait until they are online again. Then you'll see for yourself why we want the maps back.

Originally Posted By: radix malorum est cupiditas
I can't host them, but if you can send me a link, I'll download them so the next time this happens I can hopefully (lacking any total system failure) send them out to all interested parties.
Ditto.

I know my way around A1 & A2 well enough without the maps, but I wouldn't mind downloading a copy for archival puropses. My computer is like the internet; there's pretty much no such thing as "deleted."

All right, everyone! The maps are here. Some work may be required to get them working online, but anyone who wants them can download them and open the index file to get to a working version.

—Alorael, who will link the forum header to the first person to successfully provide a new site for them. Go!

Thank you so much for this. Now just one question: I do miss the small .jpg of Patrick's Tower, the detailed one. Did I lose it in the download or is it just not part of the copy? Everything else is there. I tried to get it from the wayback machine, but no luck. Thanks again. smile

Quote:
Sorry, I guess that I didn't get that page into my archive. I MAY still have a second complete copy (it's older, from before the first time the site went offline)on my old retired mac. I'll try to look for it over the next few days when I get the chance to.

Thanks, I'd enjoy that. In the wayback archives this particular .jpg seems to have been missing right away, once and forever, from 2001-2008. Which is strange, as I remember the picture from silver's website.

http://nikkis-nook.hallsofchaos.net/Avernum/index.html

It all works, as far as I can see, apart from the Tower of Patrick. Haven't had time to properly look though.

Thanks, Alorael, for finding the files, and Niemand for continuing to allow me to use his webspace. I'll add a link to my front-page eventually.

(addit: I might also add a disclaimer somewhere that says that Silver no longer updates these/the website links to contact him/her are dead/blahblahblah, but probably not unless somebody says it's called for - just having the maps uploaded somewhere in their original format is probably more important.)

I see that, and I really don't know how to fix that, so until somebody tells me how, I won't. tongue

Edit: Looking at the archived online version, it doesn't do anything, and I can easily fix it so that the images jsut link to the correct pages. Am I right in assuming their originally used to be a preview when you moused-over?

Edit2: So, I figured it out... I just need to do some liberal renaming.

Edit3: Or not. It seems that the mouseover requires two sets of images, and we only have one currently (I should really have checked before editing my posting) - I'm assuming one set didn't have area labels, and the other (the one we have) did. I don't have the time to make a new set of images without the labels right now, so I've just pointed both links to the same image set. Upshot is, images shouldn't disappear now.

I believe it replaced the image with a darkened version and with the area name written over it. My guess is that the utility that downloaded the whole site only followed links it could find. Since the program didn't mouse-over, it never encountered those missing images.

—Alorael, who doesn't think they're a real problem. And, as before, he deserves no thanks. The doing was all Tycho Maudd's.

I do feel confused. Because, as Alorael, I too remember something darker, no space between the images, and also a transparent yellowish layer that was either part of the highlighted pic or vanished on mouseover. But looking at the source code, the header defines both hi_pics and smallclear_pics and their function, but the body never refers to said hi_pics. And there's no folder that contains them.

Can the archive change the source code?

Those pictures are missing because the program I used to download the page doesn't like javascript so it left them out. I figure they shouldn't be too hard to reproduce since they were based on the map that is already there.

I just sent alorael a "fixed" copy of the maps with the tower of patrick; recovered from my old archive after digging my mac out of the basement.