Island in Chaos

Dikiyoba

There's not much work to be had in the city of Moost. That's why you jumped at the chance to travel to the distant island of Issinga to investigate the disappearance of animals from King Drazo's menagerie. Elthin, the elf who hired you on the king's behalf, assured you that it would be a straightforward task. But given the Elthin traveled so far to hire adventurers and the generous reward offered, you doubt it will be as easy as he's making it sound...

Notes:

*Character creation and leveling will be the same as in CoH and Rumors.

*Composure will be important (but a point will be enough for many situations), Elthin won't hire anyone blatantly evil, and humans will receive some discrimination in this campaign.

*I'm new at this, so expect the first few sessions to run a bit slow.

*There will be absolutely no jungle!

Character creation:

*Start with 10 points, spread out across STR/DEX/INT.

*You begin with 10+STR hit points.

*You have 20 skill points to distribute in the usual way.

Leveling:

*For each level, you gain one attribute point (STR/DEX/INT).

*After you raise your attributes, gain your STR in hit points.

*Point-buy for additional skills, though the number of skill points you get each level will be determined later.

*Unused skill points carry over between levels.

Dikiyoba will provide a map and schedule to fill out a bit later, once characters have been submitted and chosen.

--------------------

Originally Posted By: Urlana, dwarf servant
The worst part about this job is definitely mucking out the unicorn pens. It's a bit too warm for them here, so they get sick a lot.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to take part, but having me in a RP tends to make scheduling a bit more difficult than it really needs to be, so I'll regretfully sit this one out. I'll still spectate though, of course. smile

Also, I'm going to go ahead and say that now Dikiyoba has started this campaign, I'm totally next in line to run one. I've an idea, using the CoH/Rumours levelling system, and I've run a couple of practices, so I think I can totally do it. It probably won't be until April/May though, since thats when university ends, and I'll only have work to plan around. tongue

Okay, based on the characters Dikiyoba has so far, divination is well and truly covered. A bit of first aid and nature lore would help the party out, as would someone specialized in hitting enemies with sharp and/or blunt objects.

Originally Posted By: unknown courtier
Elthin is such a stupid name for an elf. I bet he was beaten up a lot as a child.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Also, I can't burn down a jungle if there isn't a jungle. HOW AM I EXPECTED TO DEAL WITH THIS.
You could always burn down a city, or failing that, attempt to set the entire island on fire. Jungles are easy to set on fire. A entire island? Not so easy. You would be honored and exalted by pyromaniacs everywhere.

If in the future at all, me DMing is probably in the more distant future. I don't know enough about the game's inner workings, for one thing, and I'm a slow enough typist that I'd probably drive everyone crazy waiting. And I get the feeling that the amount of preparation needed is probably vastly larger than it would seem from a player's perspective.

Intimidating, to say the least.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Alright... hands up. Who in this thread is planning on running their own campaign in the none-too-distant future? Enough of the secrecy! tongue

Hey! Quit derailing Dikiyoba's thread and submit your character!

Originally Posted By: Frolph, goblin druid
I am sorry, but we simply cannot accept a human into our Order. For one, there's a good chance you'll start spouting crap about Korossos. Two, everyone knows that humans are stupid, greedy, violent, and untrustworthy. No offense.

Anyone else who wants to submit a character needs to do it within the next 24 hours. After that, I'm announcing the party and getting the campaign underway.

Also, Issinga isn't the best place to buy things, so make sure you've got everything you want in your inventory now. (Dikiyoba will keep track of group food, so you don't have to worry about rations unless you want your own personal stash.)

Originally Posted By: One-Wing, lacewing criminal
I'm sorry, sir, but I don't deal with assassinations. You'll have to look elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Mistb0rn
If in the future at all, me DMing is probably in the more distant future. I don't know enough about the game's inner workings, for one thing, and I'm a slow enough typist that I'd probably drive everyone crazy waiting. And I get the feeling that the amount of preparation needed is probably vastly larger than it would seem from a player's perspective.

Intimidating, to say the least.

The game's inner workings are pretty simple, and mostly public by now, and as GM you can change them however you want. Typing slowly can be made up for by typing out any big chunks of text you think you'll need before the session begins. And preparation can definitely be halfassed. tongue

Since I have more than enough players, scheduling will help me decide who gets to be in the party. Sessions will start at 5 PM CST. Go.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Unknown farmer
Hey, you adventurers! Get out of my fields, otherwise the harvest will fail, people will starve, war will break out, and civilization will collapse!

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Sessions will start at 5 PM CST.

I don't know how late session will run, but I suspect they'll be on the shorter side. If you'll be a bit late or need to go a bit early but can otherwise make it, go ahead and mark the day on your calender. Just leave a note so I know which days those are.

Dikiyoba is quickly running out of quotes. This is going to be tough to keep up on.

Yes, it's true that the extinction of the pompadoured frigatebird occurred shortly after it became fashionable among druids to keep them as familiars. But there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the two events were related.

The party is complete! Meet:

Samos the detective (Sarachim):

Click to reveal.. (Character)
Samos

Elf

Alignment: Pragmatic

2 Str/5 Dex/3 Int, 12 HP

Stealth: 3

Magic (Divination): 3

Streetwise: 2+1

Thievery: 2

Martial (Blowdarts): 1

Perception: 1

Composure: 0+1

Spells:

Location: Gives information on the location of an object or person. The more familiar the caster is with the target, the more accurate the intel.

Resmancy: When cast on an object, determines facts about the object's past.

Portent: Offer advice regarding a person's immediate future. Stamina is recommended for accuracy.

Click to reveal.. (Backstory)
"Missing animals? From a zoo?"

"A menagerie, actually."

"I know better than to get mixed up with a man who would steal a dire giraffe."

"It's not at all clear they've been stolen."

"If they've escaped, hire a hunter."

"Did I mention it's the royal menagerie?"

"And the reward is a royal reward?"

"Indeed. The ship leaves on Tuesday."

Grastakoss the escaped gladiator (Lilith):

Name: Grastakoss

Race: Dragonborn

Alignment: Bellicose

Str: 5

Dex: 2

Int: 3

HP: 15/15

Stm: 10/10

Magic (Evocation): 4

Martial (Flails): 3

First Aid: 3 (RB)

Composure: 1 (RB)

Spells:

Unconquered Sun: Caster is surrounded by a sphere of raging flames. The caster's resistance to cold-based attacks is increased, and enemies who attack the caster in melee may receive fire damage. Can be used as a move-equivalent action for 1 stamina.

Thunderous Aura: Caster's melee weapon is charged with electricity, causing it to glow brightly. The next few enemies struck by the weapon may receive additional electrical damage or be stunned. Can be used as a move-equivalent action for 1 stamina.

Gravity Well: Manipulates gravitational force to pull objects and enemies toward the caster for a short period of time. Nearby creatures who attempt to move in any direction other than straight toward the caster must make a saving throw before their move or be knocked prone.

Formerly a gladiatorial slave in Sarden, Grastakoss was known in the ring as the "Black Sun" for his dark red scales, the black iron ball-and-chain he wielded and his natural talent for fire magic. After a series of hard-fought victories, he was bought by a wealthy and eccentric travelling merchant from outside of town, who intended to train him as a bodyguard. During his travels with the merchant, however, Grastakoss broke free of his bonds during the night and escaped. Now, with few talents beyond combat, he seeks to make his way in the world as a mercenary. Hearing news of a lucrative mission on offer, Grastakoss has offered his services to Elthin, to protect the search party from danger as they track down the missing animals.

Ak-Deevt the apprentice mage (Mistborn):

Name: Ak-Deevt

Alignment: Naive

Race: Lacewing

Level: 1

Skill Points: 0

Strength: 5

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 3

HP: 15/15

Stamina: 10/10

Magic (Conjuration): 4

Magic (Enchantment): 2

Martial (Knives): 1

Stealth: 2

Artifice: 1

Composure: 1

Thievery: 1 (RB)

History: 1 (RB)

Spells/special moves: Heal (conj, 1stm), Elemental Orb (conj), Sleight (ench)

The son of a sailor, Dee grew up at sea among a varying population of sailors, passengers, traders, and swindlers. He was always curious, learning how things worked, and excelled at moving silently and unseen. He rarely went ashore, however, and was largely ignorant of anything beyond the deck of their ship.

This might have gone on his entire life but for the whims of fate. When he was ten, their ship was caught in a great storm and driven against the cliffside of a small island far out from normal shipping lanes. The few survivors were able to cling to the reef, but the cliff itself was far too steep and smooth to climb. Their supplies were extremely limited. They tried everything to find a way up the cliff; Dee and others even tried to fly it, but odd air currents that warped off the strangely smooth cliff defeated them. Within two days, Dee was the only one left alive, weak and nearly unconscious.

It was then that fate intervened. Dee had a vivid dream of himself flying up to the top of the cliff. He knew he would fail, but a sudden surge of energy gave him hope. He flapped his wings free of the water and leaped up into the air. The air flowed around him, but lifted him up instead of pushing him down. He made it to the top of the cliff almost effortlessly, then collapsed into unconsciousness.

He awakened in a small keep, nestled beside the interior cliffs of the tiny island. The keep’s ruler, and sole occupant of the island, stood beside his bed, one hand glowing faintly. When Dee opened his eyes the mage smiled at him.

In the weeks that followed, the mage explained that the winds were his own creation, intended to keep away anyone who might interrupt his research. By the time he’d noticed the shipwreck, it was too late to save the others, but he sent the vision to Dee and had the winds carry him up to the cliff top. “You’ll make a fine magician, lad.”

And so it was that Dee became the man’s apprentice, knowing him only as ‘Master’. Dee progressed well, gaining skill in several schools of magic and foundations in the rest. Finally his master instructed him to build himself a boat. “It is time for you to go out into the world and learn what you may.”

His master gave him supplies for his journey, and also a scrying crystal so they could remain in communication. “I have much more to teach you when you are ready, but for now you should work on your other skills. I will always be here if you need me.”

Dee bad the man farewell and took his leave of the little island. He sailed aimlessly for many weeks before finally reaching an inhabited isle.

As fate would have it, he arrived at the city of Moost around the same time Elthin did. His master agreed that this would be a fine place to start, and so he approached the elf…

Nikita Otto the crazy priestess (Nalyd):

Name: Nikita Otto

Race: Dwarf

Deity: Tempecomt

Alignment: “Something odd, that’s for sure.”

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 6

HP: 12

Artifice: 1 (+1 Racial Bonus included)

Composure: 1

Magic(Abjuration): 2

Magic(Evocation): 3

Magic(Enchantment): 2

Streetwise: 2

Religion: 3 (+1 Racial Bonus included)

Capacitance(Abjuration): Numerinus felt a tingling all over his skin, and he felt hot and itchy. But when the enemy's blade pierced his shoulder, he could see that the minor discomfort was worth it.

Nikita touches the target, and it becomes electrically charged. Any enemy - or any thing, really - that the target touches receives an electrical shock.

Like Charge(Abjuration): Allen charged the dwarf, but the closer he got, the harder he had to fight. It seemed like his own body was fighting against him. By the time he got there, he had to take a breather.

Nikita clasps both hands around her holy symbol, and an invisible repulsive field comes into being around the target. An enemy cannot move adjacent to the target and attack on the same turn.

Electromagnet(Evocation): Anthony felt a tugging at his weapon and armor - he tried to hold on, but he was pulled from his feet and the hammer flew from his grasp in a matter of seconds.

Nikita holds one hand to her holy symbol and stretches the other towards her target. Any magnetic materials will be pulled and pushed however she commands.

Arc(Evocation): Allen shut his eyes tight against the flash of light, but he still felt the sparks from his brother next to him. When he opened his eyes, nothing but a scorch remained.

Nikita stretches out a hand, and a burst of light illuminates the area. One random foe is stuck by a small lightning bolt.

Full Spectrum(Evocation): The brief flash of light seemed harmless, but Dyen felt sick to his stomach immediately afterwards. As he stepped forward to strike, his vision swam and he missed completely.

A bright flash of light shines from Nikita's eyes for a fraction of a second. The target receives penalties to attack and defense.

Spasm(Enchantment): Allen roared at the little mage, about to break her scrawny little arm. If only he could move.

Nikita makes a grasping motion at the target, and it is paralyzed for a turn.

Nikita is quite tall for a dwarf, at five feet, and very thin for any race. People say she was once the heiress to a great and wealthy noble house, the fleet of which shipped untold riches all over Mote. Ivory from the west, silk from the north, gold and gems from the east, incredible luxuries were entrusted to their sturdy vessels, as well as vast amounts of more practical goods and dignitaries from all over the faded world. It was said that their kin were the favored of Tempecomt, as never had a single ship of theirs been lost.

But Nikita was of a more practical bent than the rest of her family. When her mother died and she inherited the Otto shipping empire, she fired the holy men and women of Tempecomt that blessed their ships and traveled with their most valued cargo. The high priest at her headquarters - a Kingfisher of Tempecomt - cursed her and her kin to die by their living. Nikita laughed and had him imprisoned for vandalism - he had flipped her desk on the way out, after all.

When her most closely related kin - and thus the most powerful members of the company - met to confirm her as their new leader, the ships they sailed on all vanished into the depths of the oceans. Nikita, defiant, sailed out on her own great flagship in search of her missing family and business partners.

When she awoke one morning, the rotting, bloated corpses of her crew littered the deck, and a great flock of seagulls ripped at their burst entrails. A single dragonborn waited for her at the captain's wheel.

Nikita knew she had wronged a god, but knew also that it would be pointless to run.

When she approached the Sea's Own Captain, he struck her on the face, knocking her to the deck, and vanished in a burst of fog. The water around her battered ship began to boil.

A great form, scaled and tentacled, rose from the churning sea and snatched her in its hand. "Your hubris," boomed the heavens and the liquid earth, "amuses me," hissed the winds and the currents. "But this," raged the lightning and the rain, "more so," rang the untouched, unknown depths of the black sea. And lightning burst from the clear sky, and burned into the body and mind of Nikita the words of Tempecomt. And she was cast into the sea, and was swept about the oceans for many months before she washed ashore. She crawled to the nearest city and fashioned from garbage and refuse a symbol of her repentance.

A circle of cold iron, wrapped all around with copper wires and strung about her neck. It buzzes very faintly, and tingles to the touch. Nikita wears it at all times, and treats it like a part of her.

And last but not least, Gunnar Fachtna Sigurd Leolin the Thief-Taker (Rowen):

Name: Gunnar Fachtna Sigurd Leolin

Race: Lacewing

Level 1

Hit Points: 12/12

Stamina: 10/10

Str: 2

Dex: 6

Int: 2

History: 2 (Racial)

Martial (Knife): 3

Perception: 2

Stealth: 2

Streetwise: 3

Thievery: 2 (Racial)

I can still smell it; my own body as it was kissed by the flames. I can still hear it; my little child screaming as the flames kissed her body. I can still see it; the house of flames that kept me from them. I can still feel it; the flames on my body as I tried over an over to reach them. I can still taste it; the burnt ash of the dead. I can still remember; the only thief that I could not catch.

(Due to a fire that killed Gunnar's family and ended his career as a Thief Catcher, the membranes of his wings have burnt away and are useless as wings. He also has burn scars on his legs, arms, chest, and even on his face from his failed attempt to save his family from the fire.)

Dikiyoba sincerely apologizes to RCCCL and Nioca for not being able to accept their characters.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Dikiyoba sincerely apologizes to RCCCL and Nioca for not being able to accept their characters.

No apologies necessary, someone had to be left out. I plan on saving my character though, he's going to be fun to play!

Ditto. Actually, it might be for the better; I had thought up my character originally at a higher level, and while I probably could have carried it through the early levels, its combat effectiveness would be shaky until it actually got a few levels under its belt.

Mind, I had another couple characters in mind, but both were fell squarely into the "Evil" side of the alignment pool.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Originally Posted By: Microvenator
flames... flames... the flames on my body as I tried over an over to reach them... burn scars... even on his face

I knew curry was hot, but I didnt think it caused fire. tongue

I just know that we didn't start the fire.

I guess I'll save my monk-like character for a future campaign.

Oh crap, I'm supposed to do reminders, aren't I?

Reminder! The first session of Island in Chaos is just 22.5 hours away (5 PM CST) in room SWRPchaos. Be there, or be eaten by alligators!

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Sign on the Slowwater River
For your safety and the safety of these animals, please do not approach, feed, or pet the alligators.