Avernum 3 character editor disabled

Grimper

Accidentally deactivated my character editor in A3, and I've looked up the instructions that say to delete the Avernum3.dat file, which I did (I'm using windows), but the editor is still deactivated D:

Anyone know whats going on? :\

And no I'm not using it to cheat, I just picked up a really nice looking Fungoid Spine dagger from Erica's Tower, equipped it then realised it was cursed ._.

Also found an enchanted spoon there funnily enough xD

Deleting the Avernum3.dat file should fix it, but if not you could try redownloading the game?

Originally Posted By: Grimper
And no I'm not using it to cheat, I just picked up a really nice looking Fungoid Spine dagger from Erica's Tower, equipped it then realised it was cursed ._.
I'm pretty sure there's a way to get that fixed in-game, but I can't remember how...

Quote:
I just picked up a really nice looking Fungoid Spine dagger from Erica's Tower, equipped it then realised it was cursed

That dagger shouldn't have been cursed. This is from Rache's A3 site:

+ Fungoid Spine-
+ Dropped by Experimental Fungus in Erika's Tower.
+ Does 5-20 Damage, plus 1-4 per level of Strength and Melee Weapons skill.
+ +2 Acid Damage; +20% Resistance to acid

The in-game solution is to have a healer uncurse your item.

Oh ok ingame healer then thanks. I took a look inside the avernum3.dat file with notepad actually and it was pretty much blank except for a few random characters at the top...doesnt seem like deleting it would do anything. Is it possible that the character editor stuff is inside another file that could be manually taken out? Only coz I don't wanna unregister it :\

If you don't have it already, here's a link to Spiderweb's Avernum 3 techsupport-page:

Avernum 3 Updates and Tech Support

At the bottom is a section that deals with the editor, at the top you'll find a link to the form you need to request a new registration code.

Spiderweb is known for reregistering games speedily and without asking a charge.

Replacing the avernum3.dat file is the only option I'm aware of, sorry. Yes, it most probably unregisters your game, but there's an easy solution for that.

Just put your save files in a safe place and hold on to them.

edit: I'm not sure what happened to your game. As I see it, you tried to uncurse an already uncursed item, only that in your case - in your game - the dagger was cursed. So the bug may have been in the game and crashed your editor.

Oh ok ingame healer then thanks. I took a look inside the avernum3.dat file with notepad actually and it was pretty much blank except for a few random characters at the top...doesnt seem like deleting it would do anything.
Your primary problem here is that you're viewing a binary file with Notepad. The .dat has all your preferences as well as your registration code in it, and deactivating the character editor is part of preferences. So deleting it would do something.

Is it possible that the character editor stuff is inside another file that could be manually taken out? Only coz I don't wanna unregister it :\
No.

However!

It should be possible to do this without needing to request a new registration code. Move your avernum3.dat file to another location (anywhere will do). Then launch up Avernum 3. It will be unable to find the .dat, so it will use default preferences, meaning that it will be unregistered and the character editor will be available. You may then be able to go into the character editor and do whatever you need to do (though some things in the character editor may be unavailable before registering... I don't recall? Still, I think removing cursed items is possible.). Then if you quit Avernum and replace the new .dat with the old one that you moved out of the way, your registration will be back and the character editor once more deactivated.

Or if you got it on a CD, you can do a reinstall (but make sure your save files are in a safe place).

Originally Posted By: ef
edit: I'm not sure what happened to your game. As I see it, you tried to uncurse an already uncursed item, only that in your case - in your game - the dagger was cursed. So the bug may have been in the game and crashed your editor.
I'm confused since nowhere did anyone mention crashing the editor... what is this replying to?

Um kay I just downloaded A3 again and reinstalled...but the editor is still disabled. Wtf? o.o

I deleted the old A3 installation out of program files since there seems to be no uninstall option, and moved the save files to a different spot. The game is also still registered, so the character editor data and key has to be stored in a different spot.

Searched the registry and found nothing there for A3...so I'm stumped.

EDIT: Checked out the new installion in program files, and theres no Avernum3.dat, its still gone from when I deleted it from the first installation.

This is just getting weirder o.=

The tech support page cant be right the data has to be stored somewhere else other than avernum3.dat ...but where?

Registry seems the most sensible option but I still cant find anything for A3 in there :\

Windows 7 32 bit, and it was originally installed on my old computer which I transferred from by copying the whole program files folder..which the registry entries if there are any for A3 wouldn't like now that I think about it.

I also checked for a duplicate installation on this same computer in case it's getting data from there, search comes up with nothing.

Windows 7 32 bit, and it was originally installed on my old computer which I transferred from by copying the whole program files folder
That's part of your problem; starting with Vista, Windows has become very, very, very paranoid as to what the user can and can't do in the Program Files folder. Some program data may have been saved in a hidden folder named either "ProgramData" or "AppData"; this is a bad thing if you're looking for files related to any program. It's a little tricky, but you might find some files relating to Avernum 3 there.

I suggest you find any Avernum 3 related files, delete them (except maybe your saved games and avernum3.dat), and reinstall it in a new location. DO NOT, under any circumstances, install Avernum 3--or any game, for that matter--in Program Files or its subfolders. I actually created a new folder called "Game Files" in my root directory; this is where I install all my games.

Yay installing it in another location worked thanks ^^

It's unregistered now tho and I made the mistake of saving in a registered area (which is just black now and I'm unable to move)...and the return party to start option in the character editor is a registered only option xDDDDD

But meh that can be fixed soon at least tongue

On a side note, I couldn't find any data for A3 in AppData, ProgramData, Application data or any other places where game data is usually stored (I'm pretty familiar with this), so only thing I could delete was the A3 folder in program files.

It would be interesting to know where A3 was getting it's data from, if anyone can figure it out, because I do prefer to keep my games in Program Files (it's bad I know now but it's habit :\)

Glad I could help.

It's unregistered now tho and I made the mistake of saving in a registered area (which is just black now and I'm unable to move)...and the return party to start option in the character editor is a registered only option xDDDDD

But meh that can be fixed soon at least tongue

Once you re-register your game, it's a very good idea to save a backup copy of Avernum3.dat to another location. That way, if you need to reinstall the game in the future, you have a spare copy of your registration.
Quote:
On a side note, I couldn't find any data for A3 in AppData, ProgramData, Application data or any other places where game data is usually stored (I'm pretty familiar with this), so only thing I could delete was the A3 folder in program files.
To be honest, I didn't really think there would be, but it usually pays to do a thorough search, just in case.

Quote:
It would be interesting to know where A3 was getting it's data from, if anyone can figure it out, because I do prefer to keep my games in Program Files (it's bad I know now but it's habit :\)
As far as I can tell, all the data used in Avernum 3 is located in the Avernum 3 folder, plus wherever you save your games.

And for the record, I highly recommend not installing games in the Program Files folder anymore; and you should probably move all your other games elsewhere too, so you (hopefully) don't have this problem reoccurring.