Exile III time problems

aliennefatale

Hey, all. My dad is starting Exile III and the new time element is stressing him out. He says he always feels like he's supposed to be moving faster and be places sooner.

I would like to reassure him that he'll be fine. Can you guys help me remember what elements occur that relate to the number of days passing?

The thing I remember is that Krizsan gets destroyed if you take too long with the slimes. Can anyone tell me what triggers the start of that destruction, and how long you have to finish the quest before it's lost? (I remember this because I hosed it up when I played, and got so mad I quit for a while).

I also remember Anaximander calling you back on certain days, but as I recall those were things I was well geared up to handle by then.

Are there other things? I want to be able to tell my dad something like, "Relax about time, but once you visit Place Y, you need to go deal with the slimes in X days. Other than that don't even worry."

Thanks.

You'll never lose a major quest because you take too long. As you take longer and longer on a plague the nearby towns will gradually decay, but you'll always be able to finish the plague. Watching the gradual deterioration is rather interesting, so you shouldn't feel like you need to be rushing.

Anaximander gives you new quests on several occasions. The New Formello murders occur fairly early, then comes the Orb of Thralni theft (around day 40 or whenever you finish the giants plague I believe) the Vahnatai leave Ghirka after the golems are destroyed, and finally the Tower of Magi is destroyed around day 180 if you take that long.

The only time problem is not delivering the jobs on time will cause you not to be hired for several months by a dispatcher.

There is plenty of time to finish the game and it's possible to do all the major quests and the minor ones before the date for the Tower of Magi quest occurs. If your father takes too long he may find that key people have moved to new locations, but it's always possible to finish the quests.

There was a similar topic over in the Avernum Trilogy.

Thanks, Randomizer. You've been especially helpful with all these questions.

I loved these games, and I'm embarrassed how much I've forgotten about the details. But my dad's having a great time with them. They're well suited to his style because they're turn-based. He can stop and think about things as long as he needs, and save any time he wants. He really likes solving problems efficiently and hates making mistakes. He's a retired math professor, which explains a lot.

What I loved about the games so much was the humorous touches. Like all the guys named Provisioner in Exile III, and the one doom-filled part in Exile I(?) where instead of OK you just click Die. I'm a longtime fan of the Scorched Earth Party website, too.

These are such great games.

No it isn't, but it can be nice to have if your playing style is as spell-heavy as mine. And just so you know, if memory serves, no artifact quest is truly mandatory. I can' tell you how to get any of them, though, since I haven't played E3 in a few years.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

There is plenty of time to finish the game and it's possible to do all the major quests and the minor ones before the date for the Tower of Magi quest occurs.

How true it is. I've been known to do everything(everything I know of, that is), by day 100 at the absolute latest.

I wasn't aware that the wandering wizard would be killed, but the obvious solution (if you know you won't have the slime quest completed by day 40) is to find him and purchase the location of the artifact before that time (you should be able to spare 3000 gold or whatever it is he charges.)

And I feel like this is as good a time as any to fume a bit about the Tower of Zkal. God that was an obnoxious artifact quest.

• 1 year later...