"Family friendliness" of Geneforge games?

Triumph

Ok, I'm glad to see your not as hostile as I had first perceived. I have no problem calling it "conservative friendly" or some variant. Its just getting the rest of society to do the same that is difficult.

I've had ideas like this before, and they too regard homosexuality. Conservatives don't like gay marriage. Liberals are for gay marriage. I don't think the government should differentiate between hetro and homosexual couples.

My idea was to change the legal word marriage to something like "union" and not recognize "marriages". Leave "marriage" to the churches, and the state should only see hetro and homosexual couples as a union. No legal mention of marriage should be possible, just unions.

This would mean there are not "two separate but equal institutions", but one institution by the state, the union, so there would be no discrimination by laws (no jim crow for gays).

I think if this word "marriage" were used for specifically sacred things, it would solve the issue between conservatives and liberals in this aspect of society.

Plus, its just unfair hetros get joint income, and homos do not. I guess the other solution is take away any and all legal benefits from marriage, but I doubt people want that.

Who cares about the rest of society? I'm just talking about (a) what makes sense, and (B) what makes sense here.

Yeah, the fact that marriage is so closely regulated by the government is really bizarre to me. Most of Europe has had no trouble adopting the union/marriage bifurcation. But here? Nope.

Well, I already stated what makes sense. The problem is society is stupid, both the liberal minded and conservatives. Neither understands the other side because they are either unable or unwilling to put themselves in another's shoes.

What makes sense here I believe I have already stated as well. We do whatever the potential purchaser wants us to. As far as I know, we are the main source of Jeff's advertisement. We not only help the potential customer by giving him all the information (s)he could ever want, but we help Jeff.

How did Europe do their gay marriage stuff? Did they just tell the conservatives to go back to church and pass the law, or did they have compromises and stuff made?

Originally Posted By: Txgangsta
How did Europe do their gay marriage stuff? Did they just tell the conservatives to go back to church and pass the law, or did they have compromises and stuff made?

It has been different in each country. In general though it seems that the christian political lobby are a small minority in western europe, as compared to the US.

The most liberal nations seem to be Denmark (since the 1980s!!) and the Netherlands where the national consensus is a lot more liberal than elsewhere. I recall that the Portugal and Ireland faced a lot of opposition from the catholic church.

Usually the compromise is that it is branded as civil union not marriage (e.g. UK, France, Germany). What this distinction actually means varies from place to place. In the UK, civil partnership is essentially legally equivalent to marriage, with all the same rights and obligations; as far as I remember the only limitation is that the ceremony cannot take place in a church.