A Break from Tradition

Dikiyoba

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
Originally Posted By: Provincial Louts
There are modern organisms that are considered to be the same species as fossils found from millions of years ago

Same genus, sure, but I doubt they'd be considered the same species.

But species is a fuzzy and sometimes arbitrary concept anyway.

Sometimes it is considered the same species. Several species of shark are very, very old. Horseshoe crabs are similar enough to very ancient members of that family that the species divisions aren't always uncontested. If creatures really don't change, and some don't, why can't they be ancient species?

—Alorael, who is pretty sure that Iguanodon didn't actually have lower limbs at all. They were the first known case of wing in ground locomotion.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Provincial Louts

Sometimes it is considered the same species. Several species of shark are very, very old. Horseshoe crabs are similar enough to very ancient members of that family that the species divisions aren't always uncontested. If creatures really don't change, and some don't, why can't they be ancient species?

—Alorael, who is pretty sure that Iguanodon didn't actually have lower limbs at all. They were the first known case of wing in ground locomotion.

This is true for plants, too. Gingko Biloba has pretty much stopped evolving for the past hundred million years (it has no predators, no bugs, no diseases, lives for a couple thousand years, can survive nuclear detonations, and is pretty much perfect in every way possible), and we have fossils that are clearly very, very closely related going back much further. I see no reason that they wouldn't be the considered the same species going back at least millions of years.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
This is true for plants, too. Gingko Biloba has pretty much stopped evolving for the past hundred million years (it has no predators, no bugs, no diseases, lives for a couple thousand years, can survive nuclear detonations, and is pretty much perfect in every way possible)

Perfect except for the terrible smell of its berries anyway. tongue

Hint: Put your hands palm-down on the table in front of you. Note which direction your thumbs are pointing. Take another look at Iguanodon's hands and note which direction the thumbs are pointing.

Click to reveal.. (Answer)
Compared to most animals that we are familiar with (and most other quadruped dinosaurs), Iguanodon and a few closely related species walked sideways on their hands, with the palms facing in towards each other as opposed to facing back towards the body. Note that the thumbs point out in front of the hand, rather than pointing in towards each other.

Dikiyoba wouldn't consider Gingko biloba a perfect plant. It (and the few other species in the genus) certainly did very well in the past, but without human help today, G. biloba would either be very rare or already extinct.

29. Megalosaurus

Iguanodon may have been one of the first dinosaurs discovered and named in modern paleontology, but Megalosaurus was the very first, named in 1824. As you can imagine, our interpretation of dinosaurs has changed a lot since then.

Then:

megalosaurus.jpg

Now:

megalosaurus.jpg

Dikiyoba will mention one bonus fact about Megalosaurus. It narrowly escaped being named "Scrotum humanum". Yes, really.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
This is true for plants, too. Gingko Biloba has pretty much stopped evolving for the past hundred million years (it has no predators, no bugs, no diseases, lives for a couple thousand years, can survive nuclear detonations, and is pretty much perfect in every way possible)

Perfect except for the terrible smell of its berries anyway. tongue

Only female trees smell- the males are fine. Of course, you can't tell until about 20-30 years after you've planted it, but still.

Originally Posted By: Megalosaurus
As you can imagine, our interpretation of dinosaurs has changed a lot since then.
That's putting it mildly.

The Megalosaurus in the first picture looks like a horrid cross between a crocodile, a hairless cat, and a fat bulldog. The one in the second picture looks like a close relative of the T. Rex.

And yes, some trees do have gender.

That isn't at all what you meant, but it is hilarious, so kudos.

Anyway, an imperfect flower is a flower that is missing one or more flower parts. A plant species with the male and female reproductive parts on separate individuals is called a dioecious plant (as opposed to a monoecious plant, which has both sets of reproductive parts on the same individual). Finally, ginko trees don't technically have flowers.

(In fact, there were no flowering plants at all until the Cretaceous Period.)

Dikiyoba.

I like to know the genders of trees, so I generally give them either bows or bow ties.

—Alorael, who also tried glueing either false eyelashes and fingernails or false mustaches to his trees. He decided against this eventually on the grounds that real men grow their own mustaches.

30. Anchiornis

Today, I end the Defective Dinosaur Depiction Discussion with Anchiornis. Archironis is on here not because it was ever reconstructed wrong, but because advances in technology are letting us discover something about dinosaurs you'd probably think was impossible to know: their color. It can only be done with feathers so far, but who knows? One day we'll probably have to throw out most of today's dinosaur illustrations and reconstruct them in a new and better way.

anchiornis-feathered-dinosaur-full-body.

(Anchiornis seems to be the final nail in the coffin for Dikiyoba's dream of a bright pink dinosaur. Oh well.)

Originally Posted By: Anchiornis
advances in technology are letting us discover something about dinosaurs you'd probably think was impossible to know: their color. It can only be done with feathers so far, but who knows? One day we'll probably have to throw out most of today's dinosaur illustrations and reconstruct them in a new and better way.
Sounds pretty cool.

It certainly would be an improvement over the dinosaur books I had when I was growing up; all the dinosaurs depicted were usually a single shade of green and/or brown, with maybe some reddish brown thrown in, but not much and not often. I think this tiny color palette is one of the things that turned me off to paleontology as a career.

Quote:
(Anchiornis seems to be the final nail in the coffin for Dikiyoba's dream of a bright pink dinosaur. Oh well.)
Don't give up hope just yet; it's somewhat unlikely, but definitely not impossible.

My biggest fear is that they find a purple dinosaur.

Oh hey, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs! I sorta kinda remember that show, almost. How much was there to it other than the title?

The intro to Extreme Dinosaurs is just... yeah. Reminds me of this (also, I haven't linked to enough webcomics in this thread yet to meet my quota).

Cartoons from the 90s were Rather Silly.

Anyway, hooray for Dikiyoba and this entertaining and educational thread!

• 2 weeks later...