A Break from Tradition

Dikiyoba

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Sylae Corell
i remember hearing somewhere/reading that the Tyrannosaurus had little arms for better grip when it was...yeah.

They may have still had a use in mating and/or in holding down prey, but that doesn't mean they weren't ridiculous looking.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
I remember some dinosaur documentary a while back saying that the Tyrannosaurus's nearest modern relative was the chicken. If it's true, then the mighty have indeed fallen, and fallen far.

Woo, more inaccuracies to pick apart. Scientists did in fact find a few proteins that survived intact in a Tyrannosaurus fossil, compared them against proteins found in chickens, and discovered that they were very similar.

But.

The chicken was the only bird they tested. So while it confirmed that Tyrannosaurus and birds are closely related, it certainly doesn't prove that the chicken itself is Tyrannosaurus' nearest living relative. There are lots of other possible candidates.

(Also note that birds evolved a long time before tyrannosaurids did, so don't be getting any silly ideas in your head that Tyrannosaurus evolved into a chicken.)

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Tyrannosaurs in top hats. My only weakness! How did you know?

Reminds me of Tyrannosaurs in F-14s! The only thing that could more cool is a Tyrannosaurus Hero Dikiyoba in an F-14!!! smile

How, exactly, do you wear an F-14? tongue

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Hey Diki, while your still on Tyrannosaurs, why dont you pick apart some of the other inaccuracies?

Okay! "Your" is the possessive while "you're" is a contraction of "you are". You misspelled Tyrannosaurus. Don't is a contraction of "do not" and should therefore always have an apostrophe.

...or is that not what you wanted Dikiyoba to do?

Originally Posted By: Tyrannosaurus
Originally Posted By: Tirien
Hey Diki, while your still on Tyrannosaurs, why dont you pick apart some of the other inaccuracies?

Okay! "Your" is the possessive while "you're" is a contraction of "you are". You misspelled Tyrannosaurus. Don't is a contraction of "do not" and should therefore always have an apostrophe.

...or is that not what you wanted Dikiyoba to do?
Yup. You did a good job of it too. tongue

Originally Posted By: Tyrannosaurus
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
I remember some dinosaur documentary a while back saying that the Tyrannosaurus's nearest modern relative was the chicken. If it's true, then the mighty have indeed fallen, and fallen far.
Woo, more inaccuracies to pick apart. Scientists did in fact find a few proteins that survived intact in a Tyrannosaurus fossil, compared them against proteins found in chickens, and discovered that they were very similar.

But.

The chicken was the only bird they tested. So while it confirmed that Tyrannosaurus and birds are closely related, it certainly doesn't prove that the chicken itself is Tyrannosaurus' nearest living relative. There are lots of other possible candidates.

(Also note that birds evolved a long time before tyrannosaurids did, so don't be getting any silly ideas in your head that Tyrannosaurus evolved into a chicken.)
I thought it sounded a bit farfetched.

I guess it's just more proof that you shouldn't believe everything you see on television; it didn't get the nickname "idiot box" without good reason.

Speaking of birds...

24. Mononykus

Mononykus used to be considered a large, flightless bird.

Actually: You've probably guessed by now that Mononykus was a non-avian theropod, not a bird. What you probably didn't guess is that it was specialized for digging and incredibly freaky.

Mononykus-andrewisles.jpg

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Erasmus
Gastroliths?? *staring boggled eyed*

The Latin translates to "digestive stones," which is quite literally what gastroliths are. Like their avian descendants, many dinosaurs would swallow stones which would be stored in gizzards in their throats to aid in grinding up their food.

26. Nothronychus

Nothronychus was a theropod, which must mean it was a carnivore. Just look at the claws!

Nothronychus-graffami.jpg

Actually: Nothronychus (and closely related species) were actually herbivores. So what are those enormous claws for? We don't know yet.

(Dikiyoba didn't post a picture of Camarasaurus because Dikiyoba isn't sure where the nostrils went. Traditionally, they've been high on the snout, but it doesn't look like it's been reassessed since Giraffatitan's nostril placement was changed.)

Originally Posted By: Lilith
feathers don't fossilise very well so it's only quite recently that it was confirmed that a whole bunch of dinosaurs had feathers, although it was suspected before then

Yup. (Any "fur" is actually just more feathers.)

Originally Posted By: Erasmus
It looking like Dracula and the dinos in the rear looking like the bat henchmen

The "dinos" in the rear actually belong to an entirely different group of prehistoric reptiles, the pterosaurs. (The species is probably Pteranodon, but Dikiyoba isn't positive about that.)

Has anyone ever tried to reassemble and argue in order to produce the smallest credible number of different kinds of dinosaur? I mean, an awful lot of them seem to be pretty similar-looking lizard-y critters, differing only in details of color or decoration that are probably not reliable anyway. And if horns and spikes and what-not can all turn out to be mistakes, maybe some of the supposedly different species are really just different individuals of the same species?

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
Well, in a way they are, just different sub-species. Like small cats for example.

*sobs*

Most of the names of dinosaurs you see are actually genera. That's why they're all capitalized. (They should be italicized too, but I'm lazy.) The only popular exception is Tyrannosaurus rex, which is an individual species.

Student of Trinity: That would be an impossible amount of work. Still, the taxonomy of dinosaurs changes all the time on a smaller scale. Sometimes multiple genera or species are combined into one (eg, Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus), and sometimes one genus is divided into multiple genera (eg, Brachiosaurus and Giraffatitan).

Besides anatomical differences, the age and location of fossils matters in terms of dinosaur diversity. Even if two dinosaur specimens may look very similar, if they lived on different continents or several million years apart, they were almost certainly two different species.

Dikiyoba.

Why should that be the case? There are modern organisms that are considered to be the same species as fossils found from millions of years ago, and there are species with multi-continental distribution. Mostly marine and avian, granted, but dinosaurs could count as avian if you squint.

—Alorael, who concludes that there is only one dinosaur species. It was just highly metamorphic.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Has anyone ever tried to reassemble and argue in order to produce the smallest credible number of different kinds of dinosaur? I mean, an awful lot of them seem to be pretty similar-looking lizard-y critters, differing only in details of color or decoration that are probably not reliable anyway. And if horns and spikes and what-not can all turn out to be mistakes, maybe some of the supposedly different species are really just different individuals of the same species?

I would just like to point out how many different species of birds there are, and how similar most of them look. Often the only visible difference between species (other than where they live) is a slightly different coloration.

Yeah, actually a very large number of distinct dinosaur species is probably to be expected, given what we know of present-day life, and the enormous range of dinosaurs in space and time. But I just think it would be a salutary exercise to benchmark the quality of our evidence for dinosaur biology by checking just how few distinct species might be consistent with that evidence. If the answer is, a lot fewer than the current standard theory says, then that would remind us that most of standard theory is more speculative reconstruction than firm deduction.

On the other hand, an awful lot of supposedly distinct bird species look suspiciously similar to me. Little brown things that go 'tweet'. Maybe I'm just a born lumper.

Originally Posted By: Provincial Louts
There are modern organisms that are considered to be the same species as fossils found from millions of years ago

Same genus, sure, but I doubt they'd be considered the same species.

But species is a fuzzy and sometimes arbitrary concept anyway.

28. Iguanodon

Iguanodon was a large ornithischian. Modern depictions show it was capable of walking on two feet or four. It probably spent much of its time as a biped when it was young and then spent more and more time as a quadraped as it grew older and heavier. The structure of the hands are interesting: the thumbs were modified into sharp spikes (for defense), the three middle fingers were modified for walking, and the pinkie was long and prehensile (for holding things).

Iguanodon015.jpg

Actually: Take a good look at Iguanodon's hands, because there was one more strange thing about them; something that almost all depictions of Iguanodon get wrong (including the skeleton at the museum where Dikiyoba learned this fact).

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
I would just like to point out how many different species of birds there are, and how similar most of them look. Often the only visible difference between species (other than where they live) is a slightly different coloration.

Birds!! Hah!!
You should see what Darwin wrote about insects, they are so diverse and similar at the same time that entomologists probably still have rows (or is it spelled with an 'e'?) about which insect class is Species and which is Variety.

Originally Posted By: Iguanodon
28. Iguanodon
Actually: Take a good look at Iguanodon's hands, because there was one more strange thing about them; something that almost all depictions of Iguanodon get wrong (including the skeleton at the museum where Dikiyoba learned this fact).

Are you going to reveal it for those of us who are stupid?

Originally Posted By: Iguanodon
28. Iguanodon

What? What is it that they get wrong?

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Iguanadon was cooler back when it had its thumb-spike on its nose.

I liked dinosaurs better when they were underground.

Preferably whist being subjected to immense pressure and heat until they turn into the fossil fuels that is allowing our species to exert a greater impact on everything on the planet than millions of massive lizards ever could.