A Break from Tradition

Dikiyoba

That's right, I'm making a post count thread at 7000 instead of 7007. Welcome to the Defective Dinosaur Depiction Discussion! (Some of you will remember the thread that gave me this idea, but unfortunately the PPP is still down and so I can't provide a link.) Each day for a month*, I will be posting a brief description of a dinosaur that was reconstructed wrong. Some of these errors lasted a few years. Others lasted for over a century. Some of these errors were unavoidable, because they were the result of jumbled or partial fossil remains. Other mistakes are the result of pop culture oversimplifications or of paleontologists relying on what they thought dinosaurs "should" have been like. So let's begin!

---

1. Stegosaurus

We all know about Stegosaurus. The plates along its back and the spikes on its tail are iconic, as is its tiny, walnut-sized brain. Its brain was so small it needed a second brain over its hind legs to help control its back end.

Actually: No one is quite sure what that swelling of the spinal cord was, but it wasn't to help with motor control. It actually appears in all stegosaurs and sauropods, not just Stegosaurus. It may have been a glycogen body, similar to those found in modern birds.

---

*And by that, Dikiyoba means the next thirty days that Dikiyoba has Internet access, since Dikiyoba will be away for most of January and therefore unable to update this thread.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I can do a few pictures as I go, if I can find something appropriate.

---

2. Garudimimus

Garudimimus was a primitive ornithomimosaur, a group of small, ostrich-like theropods. Unlike most ornithomimosaurs, it wasn't a particularly fast runner. It also had a small horn on its head.

Actually: Garudimimus turned out not to have anything on its head after all. The horn was simply a misplaced skull fragment.

fu8jso.jpg

---

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Actually, PPP isn't down, just the search engine. Since I have that thread on my board history, which I should really get around to publishing one of these years, here you go:

MMMMM

It was only five-and-a-half years ago!
Didn't Alec also do a pseudo-science thread as well? Or was it history-based instead?

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Too bad Alex isnt around anymore. He would quickly have turned this from a great thread to a awesome thread. With comics.

Congrats on reaching 7000 and becoming the 8th top poster!

Alex hasn't been around for over a year. (Last surviving post is from 2007, but he probably had some after that in General that were purged in October of 2009.)

Therefore, you have now revealed yourself as not-a-newbie-after-all. In case it wasn't obvious before. I have a pretty good idea of who you are, but don't worry... mum's the word. You should be more careful, though.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Alec did. Pseudoscience Postravaganza.

that was actually me, although it was alec's idea
Huh, okay. Alec must have done some other postcount thread then. I remember someone going around with "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" as their PDN for a while.

Or maybe I'm just confused again.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Huh, okay. Alec must have done some other postcount thread then. I remember someone going around with "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" as their PDN for a while.

Or maybe I'm just confused again.

that wasn't for a postcount thread, that was just a thing alec did sometimes

Instead of Garudimimus, I thought it was Gerudoimimus. This is why you shouldnt try playing Ocarina of Time for 3 days straight (and passing out on the second). I can still hear Navi yelling "Hey!" even today.

Listen!

(yeah, I see it now. Thanks Thad, you cucumber.)

3. Vulcanodon

Vulcanodon was a small, early sauropod. Only one skeleton is known and the skull is missing. However, a few teeth were found with the skeleton. The teeth were unusually sharp, indicating that Vulcanodon may have been omnivorous.

Actually: The teeth belonged to an unknown therapod that fed on the Vulcanodon remains. Vulcanodon was almost certainly herbivorous. (The mix-up is slightly less silly than it sounds, but more on that later.)

Dikiyoba.

Instead of Garudimimus, I thought it was Gerudoimimus. This is why you shouldnt try playing Ocarina of Time for 3 days straight (and passing out on the second). I can still hear Navi yelling "Hey!" even today.
I still play that game every now and again, and have had Navi shouting "Hey!" and "Listen!" echoing in my skull ever since--and I bought the game when it was still fairly new. The yelling I can handle, but if there's a way to disable Navi from bothering you at all (without rewriting the game), I'd like to know.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Originally Posted By: Nikki.
...you cucumber...
...you silly eggplant!
Whats next, grapefruit?

You can't stoop lower than eggplant.

You could always go dirt-low with some tubers or something, you ignorant rutabaga!

Originally Posted By: Slartucker
Edit: note the cunning combination of pokemon and legume.

Pumpkins are gourds, not legumes.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
EDIT: What are Diki's thoughts on the Dinotopia books?

Dikiyoba read a few of them several years ago. They were okay, but Dikiyoba doesn't remember much about them.

Originally Posted By: waterplant
Are there any dinosaurs that have non-terrifying names?

Mouseyadon, or trichocatops perhaps?
Mouseyadon reminds me of mickey mouse, which is terrifying. Trichocatops sounds like some horrifying medical procedure.

Besides, we wouldnt like dinosaurs if they didnt have terriyfing names, just look at barney. Everyone hates him. tongue

Originally Posted By: Micawber
In other unbelievable dinosaur names: Irritator, Minmi, Concavenator and Drinker.
This proves that the people who name dinosaurs need to get therapy. Who names a dinosaur Bambiraptor or Irritator, anyways? Maybe the scene from Bambi where that one deer gets killed scarred them for life.

4. Arrhinoceratops

Arrhinoceratops was a ceratopsian with a large frill and a horn above each eye. It got its name because its discoverers thought it didn't have a nose horn.

Actually: It did.

img_216_1940_30?1241665601.jpg

---

Who names a dinosaur Bambiraptor or Irritator, anyways?

Bambiraptor got its name because it's adorably small. Irritator got its name because the only known specimen was illegally collected and altered to be more impressive, and the paleontologists in charge of it were ticked when they found out. Minmi is named after the city where it was found. Drinker is named after a paleontologist.

Concavenator is a new dinosaur to Dikiyoba, but it appears to be named after the weird hump on its back.