A6 - Training in spells; bad idea?

crpgnut

It can be quite worthwhile for cheap, low-level spells that you use all the time (fire bolt, minor heal, curing, etc.), since you can max those all out for all relevant characters for a thousand or two. That's the same amount one level of a high-end spell costs, even at a reasonably priced trainer. Also the same amount as a level of a skill, and as the above commenters point out, a level of a skill is generally much better than a level of a spell.

The general idea is to buy the first level of a spell if that spell will make your life better immediately and you don't have it, or two levels of the very low-level spells you use all the time. Beyond that, it's not worth the price.

—Alorael, who actually buys the second level of some of his other favorite spells. He'll gladly acknowledge that it's not the best use of money, but it's good enough use of money for him.

Yeah, I do find some high level spells tempting. Like cloak of blades. On torment, there's almost no time when I don't have that on (and those times tend to be the times when I fight melee-averting enemies, and use cloak of the arcane), and longer duration makes it a little less of an energy sink.

In previous games it wasn't worth getting up your mage and priest spells real fast. You basically don't find the higher tier spells till much later in the game. Is this the case in A6 too? I've got my mage and priest at level 9 and will soon be heading to the Great Portal, after I finish up some sidequests near Fort Remote Control.

From what I call, I'd keep building them steadily through the game. Each time you reach a new area / new tier of main quests, I am pretty sure somewhere you'll find access to some more new spells. So, you don't need to get those skills to level 18 right away, but steady growth is good.