Avadon on Steam

Madd The Sane

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real men can't afford to grow beards because they would get in the way of all the manly things they have to constantly do.

That, or they would interfere with the ability of HEPA masks to keep the icky germs out.

EDIT: Also, it is difficult for me to read Kate Beaton because I will inevitably want to save each and every comic to my hard drive.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I think we're all missing the point here. If Jeff puts his games on Steam, then there's a chance that they'll be a dark horse smash hit that takes the video game world by storm. If that happens, then someone IRL might ask us if we knew about this cool new Avadon series, and we'd be forced to reply that we liked Jeff's games better when they were still underground, and that he's a sellout for making them so popular with Steam.

And then we'd all look like such hipsters. tongue

You say that like it's a bad thing.

"I'm too hip for my shirt, too hip for my shirt, so hip it hurts."

Steam led me to Eschalon, which in turn led me to Avernum. It went something like this:

1. I saw Eschalon on Steam. Bought it, liked it.

2. While reading the Eschalon forums, I heard about Avernum.

3. Took a look at the Spiderweb site and decided it looked like the sort of games for me. So I bought Avernum 1-6, Geneforge 1-5, and Nethergate: Resurrection. Even though there's no way I'll end up playing them all.

Had the games been on Steam, not only would I have been more likely to buy (I was on the fence for a while), but I wouldn't have had to take the convoluted path I did before hearing about them.

I don't think putting Avadon on Steam is going to make it an instant best-seller, but it will help exposure, and people like me who otherwise simply hadn't heard of it might give it a go.

And don't underestimate the power of impulse-purchasing for idiots like me with too much disposable income. Steam makes it really, really easy to make impulse purchases. Exhibit A: See today's holiday sales and Steam collapsing under the weight of all the traffic and purchases.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Thats why I usually wait a year or so before getting a game of any kind, same goes for books.

See, I agree with the part of that comment on books, but if you're on the Internet you just know that sooner or later someone's going to go all [Edit: Knights of the Old Republic spoiler]
Click to reveal..
"OMG THE PC WAS ACTUALLY DARTH REVAN ALL ALONG!!!" on you and you won't see it coming, and then you won't want to play the game now.

Thats why I usually wait a year or so before getting a game of any kind, same goes for books.

See, I agree with the part of that comment on books, but if you're on the Internet you just know that sooner or later someone's going to go all "OMG THE PC WAS ACTUALLY DARTH REVAN ALL ALONG!!!" on you and you won't see it coming, and then you won't want to play the game now.

If I hadn't played KotOR already, I would have found you and murdered you told you that wasn't a very nice thing to do. Like, for real.

"[Redacted]"
Curse you Dantius! I was finally going to play that soon! Sometime! Eventually.

Meh, I dont really care anyways, if part of the plot of a game is spoiled, well, it doesnt really affect the game itself. It will still be a fun game to play.
Now, if KOTOR was a book...

That little twist is the story. It is the most perfectly constructed plot twist ever put into media. While some see it coming from a mile away, most players are caught completely off guard, even though it makes so much sense and the game practically beats you over the head with it until the actual reveal.

Ooh, Paganitzu. I was thinking about getting that sometime.

Assuming you mean this Christmas... when looking at the 3DRealms site recently, I noticed that they said they were distributing the older games with DOSBox; do you know if this is done in such a way that I could take the original game files and set it up myself in DOSBox? (Since I'm on a Mac rather than a Windows PC.)

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Ooh, Paganitzu. I was thinking about getting that sometime.

Assuming you mean this Christmas... when looking at the 3DRealms site recently, I noticed that they said they were distributing the older games with DOSBox; do you know if this is done in such a way that I could take the original game files and set it up myself in DOSBox? (Since I'm on a Mac rather than a Windows PC.)

probably. have fun configuring it though

Originally Posted By: Vicheron
Why doesn't Jeff try to get all his games on Steam, Impulse, Direct2drive, or Gamersgate?

iirc he's tried before and they didn't reply to his emails, but from what i've heard that's pretty common and it's just a matter of trying again until somebody notices you

• 2 weeks later...

How about Tales of the Unknown? Or Loderunner: The Legend Returns? Or the Castle of Dr. Brain? Or the Island of Dr. Brain? Or Romancing the Rose? Or The Quest for the Silver Dagger? Or The Wizard of Frobozz? Or...or...or...or....

As you can see, there's still a universe of puzzled adventurers out there. None of whom could possibly have slain the Three Lizards. Like I did. And many of you did.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

so... after browsing the upcoming titles on steam this morning (rather keen to get my hands on Bastion) but imagine my surprise when i stumbled upon this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/112100

YAY!!! Hopefully this'll mean a whole new bunch of people find out about Jeff's games! Even if Avadon wasn't my personal favorite Spiderweb game, with the Avernum rewrites coming soon, it couldn't have come at a better time really! Big congrats to Jeff and Spiderweb, hopefully it pays off big time for you guys smile

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Avadon on Steam?

AWESOME

Why? I mean, it's great exposure for Spiderweb, but I'm personally happier not having to deal with Steam. It's one less application that has to be open and running.

—Alorael, who went through a brief phase of loving Steam. Then he decided that it was really most useful for picking up a handful of games really cheap. Now he's decided he doesn't even really want most of those cheap games. As a distribution system, it's good, but a direct download without Steam is still better.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
I don't think Avadon would sell on Steam. None of Jeff's games would. It's not that the games aren't any good, it's that no one would give a second look to a very outdated looking game that costs more than twice as much as beloved classics like KotOR.

Hello, I come from Steam xD

I've heard about the games a few times before, mostly through http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/spiderweb-software/ and similar but never bothered to check them out. Huge fan of the likes of Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Planescape, Icewind Dale etc. and somewhat intrigued, but was always somewhat put off by the looks.

Saw this on Steam and will most likely either try the demo for the first time when it's out or might buy it outright if it is reasonably priced (or it ends up on a sale). No disrespect meant but there are games on Steam like LIMBO for 10€, Bastion for 13€, From Dust for 15€ and Rock of Ages for 7€ which I all Pre-Ordered and they look more "presentable"... There's just that certain price point below 15 where you stop realizing that you're actually spending money and you just do it, especially if it works quickly via Steam and not on some site where you have to input all your personal details and whatnot tongue

As such I don't really think the chances of it being at least somewhat of a success are so low IF it is reasonably priced and advertised (on the main page for a few days or part of a daily/weekend sale).
After all games like Recettear managed to sell over 100000 copies, Terraria broke 700000 copies, and the latest "RPG" additions Cthulhu Saves the World and Dungeons of Dredmor (which I both immediately bought at that price point 2€/5€) didn't do particularly bad either (they were at the at the top of the "Top Sellers" list for several days): http://zeboyd.com/2011/07/14/the-pc-release-is-a-tremendous-success/

Summed up, this can do rather good if: somewhat advertised, low enough price point to buy spontaneously, part of sales.

Quote:
On August 17, 2011, Spiderweb Software (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com) will bring Avadon: The Black Fortress to Steam at a new low price of 9.99! We celebrate our first partnership with the Steam platform and hope to bring as many newcomers to Spiderweb's 16th full length RPG as possible. As an additional incentive the game will have a 10% discount during the and launch week!

I have to be honest here and say that I am really feeling a bit let down by the pricing decision. Half a year after release such a massive price-drop!
Yes I know, I got to play earlier than other people, but still something in my head tells me never to buy a game at release again from Spiderweb Software and instead 'aquire' it through other sources instead. If I like it I can then go ahead and churn out some money after a couple of months, when it's available for 40% of what was orignally asked for.

Seeing that Spiderweb Software has moved a couple of steps away from their original core audience (dumbing down, Skill-Tree, easier & more 'accessible') I'm starting to wonder if paying major bucks for - at least for me personally - minor enjoyment is really worth it.

I have to stress this is no trolling or hate post. This is just my personal opinion and how I feel right now at this moment, written down on (virtual) paper, 5 Minutes after reading the press release. Might be after a good night's sleep I feel different. But I strongly doubt that.

Originally Posted By: Angelo85
Yes I know, I got to play earlier than other people, but still something in my head tells me never to buy a game at release again from Spiderweb Software and instead 'aquire' it through other sources instead. If I like it I can then go ahead and churn out some money after a couple of months, when it's available for 40% of what was orignally asked for.

You're free to express your dislike for Spiderweb's business decisions, but making veiled references to pirating a company's products on that company's official forums is not a good idea. Consider this an official warning: knock it off.

Excuse me, Lilith, but you must have misinterpreted my paragraph there.

Of course it would never come to my mind to pirate a game and thereby undermine a company, especially an independent Developer. Not even speaking of the ethical and legal issues that entail such behavior.

I have to say I'm even a bit shocked that you read that into my sentence smile

English is not my native language and I'm not quite sure of the right phrasing.

I would be 'Demoing' a new title, and if I decided I like it, wait for the indicated - and hopefully for further games also to be expected - price drop of a new game in a comparatively short period of time.

I know 'Demoing' is not the right word... maybe you or some other User could be so nice and help me out here with the right wording?

Much appreciated, thank you in advance smile

Angelo, you'd be trying the game and waiting for a better price? You can do that, but it's likely that future games will have much less delay between Spiderweb release and Mac App Store and Steam releases now that the pipeline is in place.

I'm not sure if I'd expect future games to sell for $10 on Steam. That will depend heavily on how well Avadon does, I think. Actually, Jeff might well have staggered the releases on purpose, or at least fortuitously. He's gotten most of his regular sales after release, picked up some more from the App Store, and now he can afford to risk selling cheaper on Steam to see what happens. If he gets tons of sales, that might well become his new business model in general: cheaper releases to more customers. After all, if the math works he's not averse, he's just been averse to the risk of losing lots by selling at much lower prices to not that many more people.

—Alorael, who is just curious to see whether other prices will change. Currently it would be $10 on Steam, $20 in the App Store, and $25 otherwise. He might keep the Spiderweb-distributed version slightly pricier, but judging from A:EftP, all future prices might drop to $20. And if Steam works, that might even be $10, or at least cheap sales a few months after release.

It's funny, but Critical Miss over at the Escapist addressed this very issue not too long ago in regards to the price drop in consuer electronics that comes at about a year after the product is released. It's worth reproducing below, so I think I will:

Originally Posted By: Critical Miss
For those of you who don't follow the news, last week Nintendo announced a price drop for the 3DS and Nintendo's CEO, Satoru Iwata, apologised for the handheld being an eye-scorching, horror-portal that no one wants. He then had to apologise to angry 3DS owners for the price drop. Presumably next week, he will apologise for the great depression and rickets.

Whenever you buy a product at launch you're paying a premium for early access. Those who wait are trading time with the product for potential cash savings. If any early adopters out there are somehow offended by the fact they're being consistently put out of pocket by those dastardly market forces, the solution is simple, stop being an early adopter.

Bold is mine.