How many continents?[G5]

Firecage

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
I thought that series were traditionally taught in calc II, and vectors and multi-variable is taught in calc III. At least that's the way a majority of colleges in the US do it.

That may be the case, College Board has screwed everything up by renaming it's already remade curriculum. I know that the 2 college calc texts I have have differentiation, integration, series, and multivariate, with maybe a bit of extra diffy-Q.

Originally Posted By: loyal servile of sasuke uchiha
wow...Thats one old city.

The ending mentions it in reference to contemporary Sucia Island, not necessarily Sucia around the time it was barred.

Although, considering the age of the Shaper Empire, I wouldn't be surprised if Dillame was around in more or less the same sense at the time.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Originally Posted By: The Ratt
I thought that series were traditionally taught in calc II, and vectors and multi-variable is taught in calc III. At least that's the way a majority of colleges in the US do it.

That may be the case, College Board has screwed everything up by renaming it's already remade curriculum. I know that the 2 college calc texts I have have differentiation, integration, series, and multivariate, with maybe a bit of extra diffy-Q.

I didn't even learn sequences and series in Calc- geometric series, arithmetic series, infinite series, sigma-notation, and even infinite and finite products were covered before calc. Granted, things like integral convergence tests weren't possible, but a/(1-r) hardly require advanced calculus techniques.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I didn't even learn sequences and series in Calc- geometric series, arithmetic series, infinite series, sigma-notation, and even infinite and finite products were covered before calc. Granted, things like integral convergence tests weren't possible, but a/(1-r) hardly require advanced calculus techniques.

It's really interesting to see how the school district has set up things. Our "GT*" kids take algebra 1 and 2 in middle school and geopmetry, precalc, calc AB, and maybe BC in high school. I have peers that aren't in this "GT" track, and they're covering things in their "college algebra" or whatnot class that I didn't learn until calc BC. Notably, they were working with unit vectors and dot products (not cross, though). These things were taught to us as part of Vector Calculus after we had finished the College Board curriculum. The fundamentals that they were doing don't require calculus, and it was interesting to see them learning them before the kids that are paced ahead of them.

Yeah, I think we push math too hard in Maryland and end up not covering the basics well enough.

*Gifted and Talented. Note the "quotes."