How many continents?[G5]

Firecage

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because, comparatively speaking, Australia is huge while Greenland is tiny. Greenland only looks huge on world maps because world maps almost always use the Mercator projection, which seriously distorts the polar regions.

Dikiyoba would be surprised if the Sholai didn't come from a continent. They are clearly a technologically advanced society with a large population. One island or island chain, especially up north where they'd have a fairly short growing season, wouldn't give them enough resources that they could afford to send out huge expeditions all the time.

Agreed. I'm not sure I can think of any direct quotations to back this up, but the impression I've gotten from Sholai throughout the series is that their society is of comparable magnitude to that of the Shapers. At the very least, it seems odd that Trajkov and company would feel so threatened by the Shapers if the Sholai were some vast 'The Empire'-style empire, and I don't recall any Sholai mentioning awe at the size of Shaper lands and populations, either.

Originally Posted By: lordofdc
That is indeed true, though I doubt they exist on the same world. There is a possibility, but I doubt that.
Avernum and Geneforge are set in completely different universes. The only known empire (if it can even be called that) in the Geneforge series are the shapers. Wether the Sholai are a empire or not isnt really known. (At least, if it is, i've completely forgotten about it.)

When I said "The point of my comparison to The Empire," I meant that I was making an analogy between the size of The Empire from Avernum and the possible size of the Sholai. More specifically, positing that the Sholai were likely substantially smaller than The Empire, and probably not much (if at all) larger than the Shaper nation. None of this involved suggesting that The Empire exists in the Geneforge world, or anything else about the two plots taking place in the same setting.

And even if they did, the Shapers totally wouldn't be Vahnatai. Except maybe Taygen. tongue

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Taygen can't possibly be a vahnatai. Vahnatai are known for creating uncontrolled hordes of monsters, not for creating something that will kill off uncontrolled hordes of monsters. tongue

Dikiyoba.
Maybe Ghaldring is secretly a vahnatai then. He likes creating hordes of uncontrolled monsters after all. Or maybe Shaper Monarch is the real vahnatai. Or maybe we should just blame it all on X/Sylak.

• 3 months later...
Dikiyoba would be surprised if the Sholai didn't come from a continent. They are clearly a technologically advanced society with a large population. One island or island chain, especially up north where they'd have a fairly short growing season, wouldn't give them enough resources that they could afford to send out huge expeditions all the time.

Clearly the Sholai are native to an archipelago, because their technology excels where the sea is concerned. From what we know of Shapers and the sea, I should think that the technology of Terrestia was actually quite passable in that respect. The Shapers weren't wimpy at sea, they were just hopelessly outclassed. But we know the Sholai aren't advanced in all respects, because they do not have Shaping, gunpowder, or any idea how to run a proper archaeological expedition. smirk

Well, the Sholai can't entirely be blamed for that. It takes a lot of technology to screen Indiana Jones movies.

Seriously, the Sholai may have competent archaeologists, but to my recollection Trajkov and his band were more the explorer and diplomat types. Not that they excelled in the latter area, either.

Originally Posted By: Master1
I've actually never heard that before; it's quite clever.

Get off the Internet! tongue

Bah, who are you to banish me? You with your fancy blue name!

If you switch to the dark UBB theme everyone's name is blue, so you don't need to fear them any more.

Currently we're learning how to identify internet predators. I'm not using this as an experiment...

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows the Internet is at the top of the food web. Dikiyoba is going to have to have a word with your school.

Recent food-web theory puts more emphasis on parasites as being at the top. After all, a lion eats a gnu, but a spiny-headed worm eats a lion.

Now, how that translates over to the Internet, I don't know