"Spiderweb Games Have Gotten Too Hard"

Pathos

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In which case, in a game that had balanced enemy offense and defense, enemies in said area would also do too much damage. Once again, this is less a problem of enemies having too many HP per se (since one can easily adjust that down by decreasing the difficulty), and more a problem of enemy HP and damage figures being out of proportion. Adjusting difficulty modifies enemy offense and defense, and so the 'right' amount of HP may not correspond to the 'right' amount of damage.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
In which case, in a game that had balanced enemy offense and defense, enemies in said area would also do too much damage. Once again, this is less a problem of enemies having too many HP per se (since one can easily adjust that down by decreasing the difficulty), and more a problem of enemy HP and damage figures being out of proportion. Adjusting difficulty modifies enemy offense and defense, and so the 'right' amount of HP may not correspond to the 'right' amount of damage.

I think you missed a few pages of posts.

In a literal sense, no. I've read the entire thread. More to the point, though: what you're saying is that my statements evince an ignorance of early parts of the thread. How so? My impression is that I was saying something similar to what the OP and many subsequent posters said, or at least a corollary to it. You can almost always knock off enemy HP by reducing game difficulty, but that's problematic if you want a challenge (well, a challenge other than "this enemy takes half an hour to kill"), since reducing game difficulty also reduces enemy damage. Enemies in A6 have too many HP for me (and apparently various others) in the sense that on higher difficulties, enemies do enough damage to be a serious threat to my party but also take forever to kill, while on lower difficulties enemies take a reasonable amount of time to kill but do trivial amounts of damage.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Sage of Numenor

Ah, but you don't sue someone for inventing a new recipe for a dish you invented, do you? I'm doing nothing. I just threw old ideas together in a new way.

recipes would fall under patent law (if anyone was actually able to patent them, which would be difficult), whereas video games generally fall under copyright and trademark law. the legal issues that have to be considered are very different

Recipes are, in fact, commonly trade secrets, which have very different and generally much lesser protection. But that's irrelevant.

—Alorael, who will point out that increased damage and health balances quite differently from increased damage only. The total damage in the former case is higher since the enemies live longer and spend more rounds dishing out their increased damage. You could try to compensate by leaving health alone and upping damage even more, but then you run into problems of one hit kills. High damage in a short time can also make it impossible to keep up with healing; you may not have enough actions to output both damage to the deadly enemy and healing to keep yourself from dying.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
geneforge could happen in some far corner of upper world or other side of world so ...............
No. Just, no. Please. Unless you want to kill both Geneforge AND Avernum, please never speak of this again. The pain is to much to bear for me. sick

Besides, in Avernum, the Empire has already explored all of the continents. Terrestia is not one of them.

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
I can but await the horrors of AverForAdon, then.
...If were going to do that, then why dont we also throw Nethergate, BoE/BoA and Homeland into the mix, just becuase we can? Blades of AverForAdonLand Gate.

Please excuse me while I go hide under my bed in a futile attempt to escape from this.

The Sholai are obviously lost souls doomed to fight over and over again until they build enough ships to escape the island they're on, and the next island, and the next island, until they finally reach the galactic core.

—Alorael, who in fact believes they have done this already last week as of next Tuesday.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Im pretty sure it isnt, since I took it straight from the book "The call of Cthulhu and other dark tales", which is a collection of H.P. Lovecrafts work. Page 88, to be specific. Took me a bit to find it in my collection. I think I have enough books to keep a fire going for a year...

look who doesn't get jokes

And as a point of interest, you can find most (all?) of Lovecraft's work here. I'm a fan of paper myself, but paper isn't amenable to regular expressions.

—Alorael, who believes the next entry into the Lovecraftian owl sequence is "Nooooooooooo!" Coincidentally, that's also the final entry.

Either peple are getting dumber at way to high of a rate. or people are way to lazy, these games are way easy on normal difficulty, i always paly on hard or one up, the only thing i can see that needs improvement is quest tracking and management (maybe by area). if your to stupid to figure out this game then try it on easy or go play some crappy streamline game that requires no skill.

Welcome to the forums, dopeydave!

One thing that is different here from many other forums is that we really ask people to be respectful of others. It isn't okay to call people stupid just because they find a game harder than you do, for example. It's fine to say that you think the games are easy and don't understand how people have a hard time with them; what isn't okay is throwing insults around. See the Code of Conduct for more details.

On another note, I agree completely that the quest log should be better organized. At the moment quests appear in the order they are programmed in, which often is quite haphazard, and long-term quests really DO start to pile up.

Originally Posted By: dopeydave
Either peple are getting dumber at way to high of a rate. or people are way to lazy, these games are way easy on normal difficulty, i always paly on hard or one up, the only thing i can see that needs improvement is quest tracking and management (maybe by area). if your to stupid to figure out this game then try it on easy or go play some crappy streamline game that requires no skill.

Whoa! What gives? Is someone poking you over there?