"Spiderweb Games Have Gotten Too Hard"

Pathos

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Yeah, that's the point of Jeff's games: Kill some poor, defenseless goblin tribe, get a reward, and then go back to collect their stuff and sell it. Life is good. tongue

You don't grab the loot as soon as it drops? Well in the older games where you can get encumbered it makes sense to wait until you have killed everything, but why make an extra trip unless you ran out of room.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Yeah, that's the point of Jeff's games: Kill some poor, defenseless goblin tribe, get a reward, and then go back to collect their stuff and sell it. Life is good. tongue

You don't grab the loot as soon as it drops? Well in the older games where you can get encumbered it makes sense to wait until you have killed everything, but why make an extra trip unless you ran out of room.
That's basically why I go back, to collect what I couldn't carry. After, of course, selling anything I could carry and didn't need.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Hmm. As a moderator maybe I'm supposed to give you a two-week ban for hateful remarks about goblinkind.

But that would be sort of hypocritical, since even if I didn't actually enjoy smashing the goblins, I still did it. In fact, I did it just to complete a job board quest, and that's arguably even more demeaning to goblinkind.

What to do, what to do.

You know what? I reckon goblins aren't buying any of Jeff's games anyway, since Jeff pretty much burned that bridge when he put in all those smash-the-goblins job board quests. So, forget 'em.

You're good.

Thanks SoT. I don't think the goblins would mind too much - they seem to equally love smashing adventurers. wink

Originally Posted By: FnordCola
I would be all about Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Dragons. Each the size of a small city, with a voice like Alvin and the Chipmunks in the depths of a helium binge.
That would be even worse than the GIFTS, if such a thing is even possible. At least its unlikely there will be a Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Skull, oh wait...

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you guys hate the amount of HUGE Hp some monsters have? i mean cmon it makes the game WAY more interesting and longer, I myself havent beaten all fo the Avrnum series but i wanna do that so far i finished the 1st, 3rd,4th,5th and i can't play the 6th becuase my computer graphics card is horrible but ii actually admire how he made the "Difficulty settings" you kow just in case the game gets hard for noobs. I've beaten all 5 geneforge games(Well actually beaten the 1st like 20 times)

Or fighting a monster that has nearly 6 times the hp of the other monsters around it, and its not even a boss? ( See the two nephar warriors southeast of the castle food depot on A6, they have far to much hp for that point in the game..) I guess it IS longer though, even if its just plain annoying and irritating.

Longer does not mean funner to me. If the fight is long because I must be creative to win that is okay. Long because I have to mindlessly bash the mob with my sword for 50 rounds it not okay.

Creative would be creatures that are resistant to some forms of weapon damage but vulnerable to others. Or having to put up some sort of magic shield to protect yourself before the creature you are fighting hits you.

Creative would be the fights that take place verbally only also. I would so love to just talk down my opponent and win.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Longer does not mean funner to me. If the fight is long because I must be creative to win that is okay. Long because I have to mindlessly bash the mob with my sword for 50 rounds it not okay.

Generally longer fights are more preferred for me than fighting non-stop enemies that die in one hit. Enemies that take time and effort to kill are much more enjoyable than killing the same thing hundreds of times per game. It really isn't as fun the second time. More Boss fights welcome.

Originally Posted By: Rowen

Creative would be the fights that take place verbally only also. I would so love to just talk down my opponent and win.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
rowen: at swords and sandals (flash-game) you can taunt your opponent but sometimes it doesn't have any effect.

No!, what he meant is similar to the peaceful/diplomatic way of finishing fallout I. Where you convince the Master that everything he has done is wrong and he decides to kill himself and destroy the cathedral.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
In Geneforge it was easier to assume that all the extra people and critters lived between the zones. Too bad there was really only that one zone in G5 that explicitly said that you had covered a lot of distance between it and the previous zone. I always thought that explaining clearly to the player that the zones represented isolated sites of special interest, rather than adjacent tiles, would have given a more satisfying sense of scale to those games.

Well duh, how else did Poryphra, a city of 50,000 people, get reduced to a courthouse, bakery, smithy, temple, and two houses?
If Geneforge becomes an MMORPG, which is looking less and less likely, that problem will have to be dealt with.

(For more on said MMO, contact me, I've got every detail planned out, and every conundrum answered; I just need someone to write, animate, and launch it.)

Originally Posted By: Sage of Numenor
(For more on said MMO, contact me, I've got every detail planned out, and every conundrum answered; I just need someone to write, animate, and launch it.)

do you also have an agreement with spiderweb software authorising you to use its intellectual property

I wing it. Always. Who needs a contract beforehand if they can get one later? Besides, you don't sue someone for making a masterpiece. Also, as aforementioned, I won't be the one writing it, just the inspiration... tongue

hahahaha so you don't have the IP rights and you're not doing the writing or the art

so you're just the "ideas man", which is bad enough as it is, but in your case the ideas aren't even your own

Originally Posted By: Tirien
...I won't be the one writing it, just the inspiration... tongue
Isnt Jeff (along with the Geneforge games themselves) the inspiration? You cant even claim that. Plus, let us know when you get sued so we can laugh.

P.S. : When I saw this, I hurt myself laughing.

he's not going to get sued because he's never actually going to release anything

I think the point here is that there's a sweet spot in terms of enemy health. Nobody here seems to deny that there's such a thing as too much, or too little, and talking about the extremes at either end isn't likely to lead us to much of interest.

Perhaps a more constructive question would be: which game had the closest to ideal enemy health? My answer is Geneforge 4. On normal and hard, I didn't see many ordinary enemies that took more than a turn to kill or boss fights that turned into real slogs, like one finds in the more recent Avernum games (or to a lesser extent G5). On the other hand, there weren't many instances in which I slaughtered hordes of enemies in a turn or took out bosses in a couple, like in Exile or the early parts of the Geneforge series.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Isnt Jeff (along with the Geneforge games themselves) the inspiration? You cant even claim that. Plus, let us know when you get sued so we can laugh.

Ah, but you don't sue someone for inventing a new recipe for a dish you invented, do you? I'm doing nothing. I just threw old ideas together in a new way.

"Glass cannon vs. Punching bag" is a false dichotomy. The appropriate compromise would be "Glass-punching-cannon-bag" or "Cannon-punching-bag-of-glass." Either one would be painful to punch.

There you have it. You punch them, and they hit back by piercing your fists with shards of glass.

-West of House

Ah, but you don't sue someone for inventing a new recipe for a dish you invented, do you? I'm doing nothing. I just threw old ideas together in a new way.

recipes would fall under patent law (if anyone was actually able to patent them, which would be difficult), whereas video games generally fall under copyright and trademark law. the legal issues that have to be considered are very different

Well the main problem is that you are not the first one to come up with a Geneforge MMO. There have been plenty of people that have come here before you saying a Geneforge MMO game should be created.

If we follow the logic you have taken than you have some problems:

1. You need to find someone to make the game for you seeing as you said yourself that you wouldn't be the one writing it, just the inspiration.

2. What is stopping me, or anyone else, from suing you because we had the idea for a Geneforge MMO game first.

3. Your game creator could write 95% of your game, quit, then adjust the game you came up with a little bit and finish it, and publish it without any fear of legal actions by you because "you don't sue someone for inventing a new recipe for a dish you invented"