Loved the old Avernum.

Like the title says, I loved the old Avernum games, as in Avernum 1, 2 and 3, even Blades of Avernum, where ever in the chronological order that is I dont know, because I loved the simper graphic, that's why I fell for Avernum to begin with, the new graphic is just confusing for me and everything is changed, I tried to cast a priest spell after taking two steps and it says "Not enough action points to begin to cast spell", whats up with that?! frown And how the camera dont auto follow your heroes like in the old games aswell.. Also confusing... Am I the only one who thinks Avernum 1, 2, 3 and Blades of Avernum was better than the newer ones?

Fortunately, the action point system is better in Avernums 5 and 6 than it was in Avernum 4. Avernum 4 also has the weakest plot. But it's worth sticking with it, Avernums 5 and 6 are really enjoyable.

The new engine does take some getting used to (it helps if you have been playing Geneforge). To start with, I didn't get it. A few years later, I find I now prefer it to the old engine (gasp! heresy!) there is much more tactical challenge in combat than there was with Avernums 1-3.

Agreed that the old Avernum was a good engine, but the latter ones had a few features from Geneforge that were rather nice.....All in all, though having to follow yourself around on the keyboard the whole get gets annoying, its still cooler. Also by Avernum 6 Jeff reimplemented dual weilding, which has been missed since....well, Exile.

Eerily similar because the Geneforge engine was adapted for A4-A6. And from what I can tell, they've sold quite well indeed. Jeff has said that A4 sales basically saved the company after Blades of Avernum flopped.

—Alorael, who thought there was a preference for setting the view to auto-follow adventurers. He may be mistaking it for Angband again.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
What do you mean by not auto-following?
I mean your characters are in the middle of the screen all the time not that they walk to the edge then it moves it's what I was most anoyed about, checked in on the 5th and 6th games and they seem indeed better so I'm gonna play the 4th just so I wont miss anything, even tho it's maybe not needed(?)

Originally Posted By: Phealin
I mean your characters are in the middle of the screen all the time not that they walk to the edge then it moves it's what I was most anoyed about, checked in on the 5th and 6th games and they seem indeed better so I'm gonna play the 4th just so I wont miss anything, even tho it's maybe not needed(?)

At A6 there's option for terrain to auto-follow while walking and same should be at A4-5.

Originally Posted By: Declined asymptotically
Jeff has said that A4 sales basically saved the company after Blades of Avernum flopped.

Blades of Avernum flopped? I must have been one of the few who bought it then!

I also love the old Avernum games. In contrast, I love the newer games better!

Post #470 cool

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Originally Posted By: Arch-Mage Solberg
I also love the old Avernum games. In contrast, I love the newer games better!

I am surrounded by heretics! The older a game, the better it is. Just look at Pong and Pacman!

I still play the old games. When I say I love the newer games better, that doesn't necessarily mean I hate the older ones.
People will be drawn towards bigger and better, it's just human nature. Nostalgia is fine and all, but after a while you realize that there's a difference between really liking to play a game and nostalgia. Take it from me, I used to be a real advocate for the Exile Trilogy. After a while, I realized what I said above.

Post #472 cool