Terrain rotation

Jerakeen

I believe flipping it horizontally will effectively rotate the icon 90°; however, it only rotates one way and only by 90°. If you wanted the graphic to be viewable from four directions (we'll assume it has no symmetry), you would need two graphics, one for the front and one for the back; then you could simply flip both horizontally to complete the set.

And no, you can't get the game to do this automatically. You need to actually do it in the editor and save it as a custom graphic.

That doesn't necessarily sound like Photoshop's fault. One common way that such a thing happens is if graphics are saved using a lossy format (jpeg, usually), which turns some of the white background pixels slightly off-white. The game only masks out perfectly white pixels, so one can end up with a mess. I can imagine that there are a lot of ways that incautious use of drawing tools in a paint program could also introduce pixels which look white but aren't exactly.

I'm not quite sure how this is happening in your situation; could you maybe elaborate on a (preferably short) sequence of steps that leads to the problem you're seeing.

1. Use Graphic Adjuster (thank you, Niemand) to open the terrain graphics file in BoA.

2. Select sheet 716, icon 6, and copy.

3. Open Photoshop and select "new from clipboard".

4. Flip image horizontally.

5. Save. The default format is .psd. What would be better?

6. Open saved image with Graphic Adjuster. See pixels.

take your selection tool and select a vertical strip of the grass. copy-paste it to the edge where you have that icky. Then you should be fine. It'll take a few tries to get the right section of grass so it doesn't look like crap.

Also, make sure Photoshop isn't sneaking antialiasing up on you. PSE4 likes to do that to me all the time. Doesn't look like you're having trouble with it, but beware anyways.

Hm. Well, if that would work, then painting the edges with the background white should work too, but it doesn't.

It must be something to do with copying and pasting from Photoshop to Graphic Adjustor.

I saw this same problem in Magus of Cattalon, by Smoo. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Or is there a good guide to making graphics?

Quote:
It must be something to do with copying and pasting from Photoshop to Graphic Adjustor.

There used to be problems like this, which happened for this reason, because some programs didn't properly set the bounding rectangle of the copied image, but I changed Graphic Adjuster to always reset the rectangle when pasting, so it had seemed to be taken care of. You are using the latest version (2.0.4, I think), right?

If you want you can send me a copy of a cmg file with a graphic that has this problem, and I can try to figure out what's going on with it. I can't guarantee speedy turn around, however, since work and school are keeping me rather busy.