Rumors of My Death: An AIMhack Campaign

Ephesos

Okay, a little later than I planned, but here's my level up.

Click to reveal.. (Josun Level 7)
Name: Josun

Race: Dragonborn

Alignment: Calm

Deity: Phol-Phoram

Level: 7

Strength: 4

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 9

Speed: 5 (4 w/armor)

Health: 14/37

Stamina: 7/10

Magic (Conjuration): 7(+1)

Magic (Abjuration): 6(+1)

Religion: 6

Martial (Mace): 4

History: 3(+1)

First Aid: 1

Composure: 1

(Total Skill points spent 16(14 from level up, 2 left over from last level up))

My spells and perks remain the same, though I'll get a new spell as soon as we rest!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings, all! In order:

1. My apologies for my absence since last session, as well as the lack of log. I'm going to make myself do it soon.

2. I still need a levelup from Dantius.

3. Next session is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, January 20th, 6pm CST, in "spidwebRPrumors". Be there, and above all, be prepared! (Bared teeth and ambitions are optional)

So to apologize for the delays, I've sketched out a quick little legend:

Click to reveal.. (The Legend of Malino, told by Kura)
It is a story so old that it has faded from the memories of all but the land itself, and the few of us who hear the spirits. One that echoes through the ages, giving form to that which we know today.

I bring you the tale of Malino.

Aeons ago, when the world was at peace and the gods still walked among us, there was a dragon. His name was Malino, and he was none other than the consort of Phol-Phoram herself! When he passed his wings blotted out the sky, and when he spoke the mountains trembled. He wielded the powers of a god, but he was kind, for his ways were as Phol-Phoram's.

But there was another, a deity newly ascended, who envied him. His name is lost to memory, and such the better. He wished to carve a place for himself in the pantheon, and more importantly find a place at Phol-Phoram's side. So he took it upon himself to slay Malino.

Well not only was Malino powerful, but he was cunning. As he flew he would weave the air around himself, so that he would be protected from the ignorant mortals who feared him... even then, our people were at times dim-witted. So when the traitor god tried to knock him from the skies with daggers of lightning, he failed. But such was this rogue's madness that he continued.

A second time, the traitor forced volcanoes to spew forth lava when Malino flew overhead, hoping to drag him to a fiery death. But a single flap of Malino's wings was enough to cool the magma itself! So the traitor redoubled his efforts, and set to scheming once more.

Now as I said, these were the days when the gods would walk among us, sometimes taking mortal form for a time. So the traitor god disguised himself as a radiant dragonborn that resembled Phol-Phoram's mortal form, and sent word to Malino that she had been kidnapped while mortal. The traitor then hid himself away in one of the deep places of the earth, and waited.

Soon, Malino came, searching for Phol-Phoram. Before long, he came to the place where the traitor waited. Malino saw, and knew at once what was at stake. The two fought, tooth and claw, for days and months! Their rage shook the foundations of the earth itself, even moving the islands! On the surface, none knew what had transpired, so no help arrived.

While Malino was powerful, he did not possess the traitor's divine spark, so eventually the mighty dragon tired. With one final burst of energy, he seized the traitor in his claws, and flew at full speed upward, parting the earth above him by sheer force of will! He knew that if he could simply reach Phol-Phoram, the fight would be over!

But it was not meant to be. When Malino broke through to the sky, the traitor dealt a killing blow. In a final act of desperation, Malino bit down on the traitor's neck, holding him as they plummeted back towards the ground. The god struggled, but to no avail. They struck the ground with all the force of creation itself, sundering and warping the earth so violently that mountains arose around them, forever preserving the final moments of their fight in stone.

This is why the Malino Mountains bear his name, for that is where he struck the earth. And because Phol-Phoram still grieves to this day, the stars shine more brightly in the Malino Mountains than anywhere else on Mote.

Quick question:

Is there anything we can do to increase Stamina? Like a perk/feat, or a special encounter, or a per level bonus, or does it just stay at 10, forever?

Click to reveal.. (Kurex)
Name: Kurex

Alignment: Magnificent Bastard

Race: Human

Deity: Imaunte

Strength: 7 (+1)

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 7

Speed: 5

Health: 16/47

Stamina: 1/10

Magic (Evocation): 10 (+1, 10 pts)

Magic (Conjuration): 5

Magic (Abjuration): 2

Magic (Illusion): 1 (+1, 1 pt)

Martial (Sword): 3

Composure: 3 (+1, 3 pts)

Stealth: 1

Perception: 1

Perks:

-Smug - When you hit an enemy, gain +1 to all composure rolls against them for 1 round.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Quick question:

Is there anything we can do to increase Stamina? Like a perk/feat, or a special encounter, or a per level bonus, or does it just stay at 10, forever?

you realise that if you had more stamina points you'd just have to spend more of them for the same effect right

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Dantius
Quick question:

you realise that if you had more stamina points you'd just have to spend more of them for the same effect right

It has actually crossed my mind to offer extra Stamina reserves as a reward, but I wouldn't cheapen it by just increasing all the costs (since it would neatly defeat the purpose of the whole exercise). That said, it would take something truly epic to gain Stamina, since it is currently such a precious resource.

Don't expect to be doubling it any time soon, is what I'm saying. For the time being, your best bet is to keep an eye on your expenditures, and remember that pushing yourself to the limit is only valuable if you can survive.

Originally Posted By: Khashen, the Oracle of Selos
"It is fitting you would ask that, Keoshor. So many ask, but hardly any comprehend. It is like walking down a hallway, but looking ahead to see yourself walking down the same hallway. And then you see the hallway branch off, as one of you stumbles on a stone or shifts their weight slightly. And then you look down that hallway, and see further branches. I choose my path as I go, taken from the fleeting glimpses of that hall of mirrors."

Pardon my double post, but the log of last session is up! Download it at your own peril!

Also, a reminder, next session is Thursday, January 20th, 6pm CST. Be there!

Click to reveal.. (Quooooooooooooooooooooootes)
  • Mal: "...well, they certainly know where we are now."
  • Josun: "Hrm, well, I'm going to bed, wake me for my watch, or if Kurex lights us all on fire."
  • Kurex: "I fail to see anyone within several hundred miles more capable of starting fires than myself."
  • Aurora: "Hey, uh, I'm not saying I know anything about spiders, but I can't help but think that if there are this many of them they're probably baby spiders. That has pretty worrying implications."
  • Adira: "Does anyone else hear drums?"
  • Rikkla: "I... I've never met any of you. Did Trassak send you?"

Lastly, some leveling minutiae:

• Adira totally has one unspent skill point, since it'll only take 4 to raise her Perception (I'm not counting the racial bonus in factoring the cost).
  • Mal spent one point too many... 5+6 for First Aid's two ranks, then 1+2 for Artifice and 1 for Bows makes 15.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
I didn't realize at the time, but this Thursday is my mothers birthday, I may be a little late but can still make the session(I could still be on time). Sorry, I hadn't realized it when I filled out the calendar.

Let's be realistic here, I'll probably be a little late when it comes to being prepared. tongue

But hey, I've been working on maps ahead of time this week! I even have one drawn out... just not converted into spreadsheet form.

Originally Posted By: Egues-Tol, Necromancer
"I studied as an apprentice under the same master as Shrakka-Tos. She was a fiendishly-brilliant summoner, and produced some of the most bizarre creatures I've ever seen... and I have seen strange things indeed. However, her ethics were... dubious. I have always wondered what became of her."

Session today, in seven hours!

Originally Posted By: Tamia, Scholar of All
"The mineral deposits in the Malino Mountains scattered and unpredictable, frequently occurring in unnatural places. I've even heard of a town built by a stream that comes down from an exposed gold vein in the peaks, so that it literally shines during the summer."

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Originally Posted By: Sylae Corell
Originally Posted By: Nioca
(Also, thank w-dueck for subbing for you. He did a good job, other than a minor faux pas with Break Enchantment)
Hey, don't y'all know that runes are meant to be broken?
Let me guess, the runes werent enchanted?

Wonder when the log comes out.
Not after i was done with them tongue

Guess what? I finally decided to stop procrastinating on the log, and it's done! Available here for your reading pleasure.

Also, if you have not filled out the calendar yet, please do so here at the earliest possible time.

Click to reveal.. (Session 10 Quotes!)
  • Kurex: "Oh look, an ancient artifact of arcane power! No, wait, that's a rock."
  • Mal: "Well, to be fair, it's just plain good sense to avoid someone who's trying to kill you."
  • Adira: "How should I know, I'm just a shrub."
  • Grom Oredrinker: "Never know what you're gonna find, but it's usually good. Or, like I said, it tries to eat you."
  • Aurora: "Just so nobody gets the wrong idea, this is the kind of problem that we're going to be solving with violence, right?"
  • Josun: "Five gold says the mountains have giant eagles or dire goats or something."

In other news, that was our tenth session!!! That, given that the campaign is still going, makes it the longest-running in AIMhack history. Yes there's not much history to AIMhack so far, but I'm still pretty dang happy with how this campaign has run so far, and I'd like to thank everyone involved for making it as awesome as it is. laugh

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Tirien
Let me guess, going to get points in improvised ranged so you can use the cat as a weapon?

Why do that when Adira could just points in Martial (Cat)? wink
And if she gets a second cat, she could dual-wield them. Or tie their tails together and have cat-nunchucks.

Or she could just do the obvious and throw them at Rikkla's face.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Will Martial (Cat) enable one to wield the legendary catberd?

You know... I forgot about the catberd. That should've been in Rikkla's lair. tongue

But anyway, next session is February 2nd, 6pm CST!!! Be there, or freeze to death in the mountains!

Originally Posted By: Nath of the Braid
"Perfection lies in honing one's self to the point where no challenge can best you. That is the true path to godhood."

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, the next session is TOMORROW, 6PM CST!!! We'll be in "spidwebRPrumors".

Be there! It's going to be important! Very, very important! Possibly the finale!

Originally Posted By: Grom Oredrinker, Talon Mining Company
"My men have been hearing singing coming from the peaks. It's not the ale, it's something else. I'm doubling patrols until we can find whatever is causing it."

The final session is over! We'll be sorting out some conclusion-related stuff in a PM thread, and I'll get the log posted ASAP. Everyone who survived levels up, and gets 16 skill points to spend. (I might end up swapping everything around anyway, just know that.)

There will be a proper postmortem thread as soon as we get the conclusion smoothed over, so for now hang on to your postmortem-like comments.

In other news, I'm tired.

Click to reveal..
Name: Aurora
Race: Elf
Alignment: Resolute

Lvl: 8
Str: 3
Dex: 6
Int: 8
HP: 12/34
Stamina: 1/10

Magic (Enchantment): 8
Martial (Knives): 6
Composure: 5 (RB)
Streetwise: 5 (RB)
First Aid: 4
Perception: 4
Stealth: 2
History: 1
Religion (Sliros): 1

Click to reveal.. (Adira Level 8)
1 to Intelligence, 3 to Nature (4+5+6)

Name: Adira
Alignment: Heroic
Level: 8
Skill points: 2

Str: 6
Dex: 5
Int: 6
HP: 52
Stamina: 10

Martial (Blades): 6
Magic (Transmutation): 5
Magic (Conjuration): 3
Nature: 6
First Aid: 5
Perception: 5 (RB)
Stealth: 4 (RB)
Crafting (Alchemy): 3

Ephesos: would "10 or (2x level) skill points, whichever is higher," be an accurate description of your leveling system?

Also, am I correct in assuming that Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate are all now included in Composure? If so, the Races sheet could do with an updating.

Woo final levelup! Will he use his newfound intelligence to end war, establish peace and ensure safety and stability for Mote? Or will he simply use it to prepare more Fire spells?

Click to reveal.. (Kurex)
Name: Kurex

Alignment: Magnificent Bastard

Deity: Imaunte

Strength: 7

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 8 (+1)

Speed: 5

Health: 54/54

Stamina: 10/10

Magic (Evocation): 10

Magic (Conjuration): 5

Magic (Abjuration): 4 (+2, 7 pts)

Magic (Enchantment [didn't realize Illusion got merged]): 1

Martial (Sword): 5 (+2, 9 pts)

Composure: 3

Stealth: 1

Perception: 1

Perks:

-Smug - When you hit an enemy, gain +1 to all composure rolls against them for 1 round.

Originally Posted By: Mistb0rn
Ephesos: is "10 or (2x level) skill points, whichever is higher," an accurate description of your leveling system?

At the moment, yes. As with everything, I reserve the right to change it for practically no reason at any time. tongue

Also, I'll update the races sheet at some point in the near future.

Also also... about that log...

Click to reveal.. (It's the FINAL QUOTE-DOWN)
  • Mal: "Should we take the goat with us? We might need a snack later."
  • Kurex: "I solemnly swear to incinerate the next thing we come across before it kills me."
  • Adira: "What? I'm not secretly evil, what gives you that idea? Just because a cat takes offense at some junk from Rikkla's lair, now I'm a bad guy?"
  • Josun: "Argue after the battle!"
  • Aurora: "I knew stabbing someone with a dagger that had healing powers was going to backfire eventually!"

Wow. Epic conclusion. Nicely done, Eph and co.

I look forward to the conclusion stuff...and to the next campaign you choose to run.

Was there some reason, Eph, why you never posted for public reading the letters Gotay sent to the party, or anything about their meeting? Are you go post that sort of thing now that this campaign is over?

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
S'okay, Sarachim covered for you admirably.

Click to reveal.. (Spoilers relevant to the final session...)
...And he blew up another altar, once more almost killing Josun. But that's probably a conversation the two of you need to have. tongue

The real question is, which one was tragedy and which one was farce?

Woo, post-campaign level! Since I boosted INT this level-up, I added a new technique to Mal's repertoire. Normally, I PM Eph about a technique to discuss it before adding it, but since the campaign's over, I figured I'd just put it here in public. It hasn't been approved yet has been approved, and I thought it fitting considering what Mal pulled last session.

Click to reveal.. (Mal Travers, Level 8)
Name: Mal Hirosi Travers

Race: Lacewing

Alignment: Optimistic Semi-Naive

Level 8

ATTRIBUTES

STR - 7 | HP - 1/59

DEX - 6 | STM - 4/10

INT - 4 | SPEED - 5

BXP - 0 | XP - 102

SKILLS

Martial (Swords): 9 (45 XP) (+1)

First Aid: 6 (21 XP)

Thievery: 5 (10 XP + RB) (+1)

History: 4 (6 XP + RB)

Perception: 4 (10 XP)

Artifice: 3 (6 XP) (+1)

Nature: 2 (3 XP)

Martial (Bows): 1 (1 XP)

TRAITS

Heroic Valor (Perk) - Mal's drive to do good has resulted in him developing an iron will in the face of danger. Once per encounter, if he's reduced to 0 HP, instead of going unconscious immediately, he gets a 1 round grace period, capable of performing any action he could while healthy. Mal can choose to extend this grace period additional rounds, but this results in his stamina bleeding out twice as fast as it normally would, and any additional damage he takes will wind up damaging his stamina instead. Also note that particularly hard blows may knock Mal unconscious immediately.

Misty Escape (4PD Ability) - A bizarre ability gained from killing a vampiric dragonborn, Misty Escape allows Mal to dissipate into mist at-will, taking 5 damage. This can be used to hide, slip through small spaces, or to negate damage from an enemy. Can be used a number of times per day equal to half Mal's level rounded down.

BATTLE TECHNIQUES

Click to reveal..
Wings of Fury (1 STM) - Mal leaps and takes wing, either flinging himself upward and attacking a low-altitude foe or hurtling over obstacles (or creatures) and slashing at a chosen enemy. After the maneuver, Mal's defense is reduced for one round while he recovers his footing. Depending on the distance involved, the technique may require more than 1 stamina to perform.

Blitz Barrage (1 STM) - Unleashes a devastating and lightning-quick barrage of blows onto a target, doing elevated damage and either penalizing or outright stunning the victim for 1 round.

Talon Defense (2 STM) - A defensive technique that provides a defensive bonus. At the cost of a full round (no items, no move, no other actions), any melee attack that misses is riposted or countered, and missiles that miss potentially hit someone else in their flight path.

Crimson Confiscation - A hybrid of an attack and a disarming maneuver, a Crimson Confiscation is a single swing that simultaneously lands a light blow against the target and snatches away a targeted item. Should the item be too large to be reasonably carried (armor, large weapons), the target is simply disarmed.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
S'okay, Sarachim covered for you admirably.

Click to reveal.. (Spoilers relevant to the final session...)
...And he blew up another altar, once more almost killing Josun. But that's probably a conversation the two of you need to have. tongue

Should get a perk related to that! Apparently Josun is really, really good at it. tongue

Click to reveal.. (Josun Level 8)
Name: Josun
Race: Dragonborn
Alignment: Calm

Strength: 5
Dexterity: 3
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5 (4 w/armor)
Health: ?/42
Stamina: ?/10

Magic (Conjuration): 8 +1
Magic (Abjuration): 6
Religion: 6
Martial (Mace): 4
History: 4 +1
First Aid: 3 +2
Composure: 2 +1

Click to reveal.. (Perks)
Perks:
-Divine Healing - When healing, heal 1 extra HP. Also +1 to all healing rolls.
-Break Enchantment - Attempt to dispel an enchantment or curse.

I added a new spell since I didn't do so after the last level up, pending possible approval of course.

Click to reveal.. (Spells)
Spells:
-Greater Healing - Heals an adjacent target (1 STA)
-Purify - Cure a poison/disease, purify water/food.
-Succor - Summon food & water.
-Summon Celestial Serpent - Summons a winged serpent. (1 STA)
-Shield of Faith - Bolsters a target's defense for a few rounds.
-Iron Will - Shields one target from mental assaults, and can remove such effects.
-Blessing of Phol-Phoram - Allies get a bonus to all rolls and defenses, while the caster takes an equal penalty. (2 STA)
-Silence - Target is unable to cast spells or talk for a number of rounds. (1 STA)
-Force Orbs - Conjures two orbs that that seek out two different targets dealing moderate damage. (2STA)