Back to School: 2010

Rowen

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it should be doable, with a bit of a stretch. I've always thought of five as a normal load, and I did six one year myself. Two of those were humanities courses, which meant that everything was fine until term papers were due, and then it was awful for a while. Now that I think about it, I did a few all-nighters that year. Yeesh, those are horrible. Staying up when you're really tired is not that bad if you can just react to things, but when you're sitting in front of a blank page and have to create stuff, it's excruciating.

Try not to do those if you can avoid it. But if you can't, they are doable. Just really not fun.

Also, different schools are organized in different ways. The standard undergraduate program in the US is four courses at a time, but there exist programs with expected courseloads that are greater or fewer; presumably the course expectations scale with the courseload, so that if 3 courses count as full time they meet for more time and assign more work, whereas if 6 courses is expected, the limits to what they can assign are lower, and the limits to how long they can meet must be lower if they want students to be able to find 6 classes without time conflicts.

The standard course load at my university is usually four classes, but most science-based majors take five. I do have six courses, but humanities classes are absurdly easy to BS in, and all the seniors in my major tell me engineering communications is really easy. I wanted to get all of my humanities and core math classes out of the way before I hit the more advanced chemical engineering courses junior and senior year, such as physical chemistry.

I also have to take a diversity class at some point but I have no idea what that means.