Trouble loading avernum 3 party into blades of exile

DOT.COMmunist

Hey. I redownloaded avernum 3 and boa to give them a replay after like 5 years and i'm about half way through avernum 3. i just tried loading my avernum 3 party into boa and it says the save isnt a valid avernum save. I remember being able to play boa with avernum parties back when i last played through these games, am i doing something wrong or am i misremembering?

Thanks, sorry if this is the wrong place for this, it looks like its mostly scenario reviews in here now, but i wasnt sure where else to ask

Quote:
i just tried loading my avernum 3 party into boa and it says the save isnt a valid avernum save. I remember being able to play boa with avernum parties back when i last played through these games, am i doing something wrong or am i misremembering?

I think that you are misremembering; it has never been possible to do this.

Maybe you could recreate your party using the Blades of Avernum editor? If I recall, all of Avernum 3's artifacts are present in the default Blades of Avernum items. Although honestly, Blades of Avernum scenarios seem to have so many ridiculous items that they may be unusably weak. Is there a way to quickly get the right sort of artifacts for one's party level?

Originally Posted By: Handyman
Maybe you could recreate your party using the Blades of Avernum editor? If I recall, all of Avernum 3's artifacts are present in the default Blades of Avernum items. Although honestly, Blades of Avernum scenarios seem to have so many ridiculous items that they may be unusably weak. Is there a way to quickly get the right sort of artifacts for one's party level?

Yes, Terror's Marty created a scenario called Artifacts Hall. It contains all the artifacts from all the different scenarios charted by level range. Quite useful for when you want to generate a party for a high-level scenario but don't want to play through a half dozen scenarios to get all the good loot.

Quote:
Is there a way to quickly get the right sort of artifacts for one's party level?

The HLPM will sell rare standard items which appear in the four SW scenarios, I think. There's also the Artifacts Hall scenario which had roughly this purpose (although I never got around to trying it out), but it may be fairly out of date now.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Originally Posted By: Handyman
If I recall, all of Avernum 3's artifacts are present in the default Blades of Avernum items.
Not quite all; Fury Crossbow and Pachtar's Plate, for example, are not present in Blades of Avernum.

None of the epic artifacts from A3 were present in BoA, including the Knowledge Brew recipe. I guess Jeff just figured they would be too ripe for exploitation.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Of course they can, in general, simply be replicated (with the exception of the Knowledge Brew recipe).

It's probably possible to replicate the Knowledge Brew recipe along the lines of the G2 crafting system. Have an NPC say that if you bring him the herbs, he'll make the knowledge brew; then just script he encounter to remove the herbs and give the knowledge brew. Simple really.

Right, but it will be local to a scenario. There should be no problem making duplicates of Pachtar's Plate, the Fury Crossbow, Black Halbard, and Ring of Endless Magery which the party can carry from scenario to scenario.

Wouldn't the RoEM be impossible to duplicate because the "restore SP" effect is scripted in that scenario, or am I just not aware that BoA can, in fact, handle that sort of thing?

If you only want the stats from being high level, just use Kelandon's High Level Party Maker.

I have never looked at the save files much but, even a slight difference in the formats of A3 and BoA save files would make it impossible to use A3 saves in BoA. You would generate one impossible variable somewhere and the game would crash/refuse to accept the save file.

• 3 weeks later...

There's also the Artifacts Hall scenario which had roughly this purpose (although I never got around to trying it out), but it may be fairly out of date now.

Actually I know of a version of Artifacts Hall that is up to date, I've been updating mine and I should probably poke TM for his permission to post an updated version and take over maintaining the scenario. Been doing the same with the library in HLPM for the sake of it as well, I had to do something while I rebuilt my laptop >.>

Funnily enough TM said the same thing about Artifact's Hall, I have his blessing to upload it once I tidy it up.

I'll need to change a bunch of my book dialogs as they're only relevant to me first, still I can probably do that in the next few days.

EDIT: Oh, if you log into AIM with the account in your profile I already have you on AIM. So we can converse there if that's the case.