Avernum portraits got "squashed"

posfan12

After examining the portraits for Avernums 4-6, I think the original portraits somehow got "squashed" between the time they left the artist's hands and the time Jeff got them. Compare the images below:

avernum_portrait_original.pngavernum_portrait_stretched.png

At left is an example of one of the original portraits as they appear in AV5; at right is a version I stretched vertically a tad in a graphics program. At least to me the stretched version looks marginally better...

If this is in fact the case, I'm surprised nobody noticed/commented upon it before now. :shrug:

Some of the newer sprites (such as G230, G231, G242, G243 in AV6) probably don't need any fixing. Some of the sprites (such as G226 in AV6) could probably benefit from having the modification applied *twice*.

It's clearly a case of island dwarfism, except there is no island. Instead, the cave systems are serving as the environmental impetus for genetic drift toward smaller people.

There are too few resources for too many people. The smaller people are better off because they're less likely to starve, and nobody gets enough nutrients to grow really large anyway. And there's no sunlight, so Vitamin D3 production (which helps with bone growth and strength) is way down.

By the time of about Avernum 9, we'd have been dealing with full-fledged pygmies.

After the Avernites fully adapt to their environment, we would expect them to be rather slender, with very little mass. They would have large, bulbous eyes to maximize the intake of light. Their skin would be completely without pigmentation, because it would be useless in the dark caves. They would be... Vahnatai.