City of Hope: An Optimistic AIMHack Campaign

Lilith

That's okay, I thought I remembered using it but wasn't sure. If you don't have me down as using it, or even having it, then just leave it in Mer's inventory, and make sure Nikki knows it's there.

In fact, shout out to Nikki: Mer still the cool fruit that we thought she gave Phulax. smile

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Triumph
That's okay, I thought I remembered using it but wasn't sure. If you don't have me down as using it, or even having it, then just leave it in Mer's inventory, and make sure Nikki knows it's there.

In fact, shout out to Nikki: Mer still the cool fruit that we thought she gave Phulax. smile

Ah cool. I do remember handing it over (and Meredith made a big song about it being the last one :p), but I've no log to check. It isn't vitally important anyway.

I used up the 6 points that carried over from the last level.

Click to reveal..
Jarrox Phiser

Race: Dwarf

Alignment: Phenomenally Drunk

Level: 4

HP: 16/25 (+5)

Stamina: 3/10 (-5)

Str: 5 (+1)

Dex: 5

Int: 3

Artifice: 3

History: 4 (+1)

Martial (Dwarven Waraxe): 4 (+1)

Martial (Shields): 4 (+1)

Nature: 4 (+1)

Perception: 4 (+1)

Religion: 3

Drunken Rage

"It's my ass and I'll kill you and all these lobsters and then make you into soup!"

When you are drunk, you receive a bonus to attack rolls and a penalty to all other rolls. The drunker you are, the bigger the bonus or penalty.

Worn:

Dwarven waraxe (Some meanie head wont give it back to me)

Shield with family crest

Padded clothes (pants and shirt)

Breastplate

Vambraces

Greaves and cuisses

Gauntlets

Pike helmet

Backpack:

Belt pouch (20 gold)

Bedroll

Fish hook and line (15')

Flint and steel

Hand axe

Healing potion x2

Hempen Rope (46')

Magic cooking pot

Stamina Potion x1

Shovel

Sunrod x1

Trail Rations (8 days)

Aleskin x3 (2 are now empty)

Whetstone

Iron Pyrite (A handful)

Random curiosity: how is our leveling-up time determined? Are you just going by number of sessions? By successful completion of certain challenges? By some ethereal sense of when it feels right? smile

In general, I'm basing it on your progress through the campaign. You'll probably level up every 1-2 sessions as long as you keep going at a reasonable pace.

can you guess what i have for you? here is a hint: its namesake is big and cylindrical and made of wood

that is right, it is a log. how did you guess

also quotes

Click to reveal..
Lephista:

"Use the rope! I am holding it for that very purpose, you sot!"

Jarrox:

"Come to me you lava monkey demons! Face my water wrath!" I bellow out as I run.

Meredith:

"I'd have half a mind to let you die, but unfortunately I was gifted with a full one."

Phulax:

"Being a tree is kind of fun!" I mutter to myself.

Dyen:

"Jarrox, do we need to take your axe again?"

By the way, Nalyd, just to let you know since you weren't there when it happened: during the session Dyen found a green glass bottle half-filled with a dark liquid. He hasn't yet investigated it further.

Remember, it's only a little under a week to go before the next session on Friday December 3rd!

Everyone who intends to play or spectate in this session, please download the latest version of MapTool, 1.3b76. This should fix a problem we were having last session with some players being unable to auto-reveal the map on movement.

Also, I still need a levelup for Dyen.

Click to reveal..
Dyen Dawes
Race: Elf
Alignment: Enlightenment

Level: 4 (+1)
HP: ??/23 (+4)
Stamina: 10/10

Str: 4 (+1)
Int: 4

Martial (Unarmed): 5 (+2)
Magic (Divination): 4
Perception: 5
Composure: 2
Stealth: 5 (+1)
Streetwise: 1

Perk: Make Your Own Luck -- Whenever you critically fail a roll, your next roll receives a +4 bonus.

Spells:

* Fated Strike: Dyen looks into his fate and sees how he will live and his opponents fall. He receives a large bonus to accuracy on his next attack. (Move-equivalent action.)
* Glimpse of Oblivion: Dyen shows a single opponent the emptiness of the universe, stunning that enemy or making them cower in fear.
* Feeling the Way: Dyen lays his hands on something: a wall, an object, or person, and is shown what fate intends for him to do with it. Where to go, what to say, how to use it. Results may vary.
* Fate Never Lies: Dyen takes a statement and briefly meditates upon it, looking into Fate and trying to discern what aspects of it belong there, and are true, or do not, and are false.

New version of Maptool downloaded and installed...but I couldn't find the server City of Hope to connect and test to make sure things worked. Does that mean something is wrong on my end, or that you just don't have the server available right now?

I believe that the server is only active starting an hour or so before the session. Maybe it uses a prohibitously large amount of bandwith?

I literally just got a call from work - due to the poor weather we're having here, I have to go into work earlier tomorrow, which means a semi-normal bedtime for me tonight. I'm thinking around 3am UTC is the very latest I can afford to go to bed without being dead tomorrow, so if the session goes on for any longer than 4 hours I guess (assuming we start on time), I'm going to need a stand-in. frown

Well, that was an exciting session, wasn't it? I hope you enjoyed it! Next session is still on Friday December 10th at 11 pm UTC. And since this was such a big, exhausting session, everyone levels up. The usual deal: +1 to one stat, +STR to HP, and 16 more skill points to distribute.

oh god i have to prepare the log and the next session by then oh god oh god

Click to reveal..
Dyen Dawes
Race: Elf
Alignment: Enlightenment

Level: 5 (+1)
HP: ??/28 (+5)

Stamina: 7/10

Str: 5 (+1)

Banked: 4 (+4)

Martial (Unarmed): 5
Magic (Divination): 4
Perception: 5
Composure: 5 (+3)
Stealth: 5
Streetwise: 1

Perk: Make Your Own Luck -- Whenever you critically fail a roll, your next roll receives a +4 bonus.

Spells:

* Fated Strike: Dyen looks into his fate and sees how he will live and his opponents fall. He receives a large bonus to accuracy on his next attack. (Move-equivalent action.)
* Glimpse of Oblivion: Dyen shows a single opponent the emptiness of the universe, stunning that enemy or making them cower in fear.
* Feeling the Way: Dyen lays his hands on something: a wall, an object, or person, and is shown what fate intends for him to do with it. Where to go, what to say, how to use it. Results may vary.
* Fate Never Lies: Dyen takes a statement and briefly meditates upon it, looking into Fate and trying to discern what aspects of it belong there, and are true, or do not, and are false.

Phulax Pulonos

Click to reveal..

Level 5

Strength 6

Dexterity 3

Intelligence 5

HP 27/35

Stamina 7/10

Speed 5

Magic (Transmutation) 6

First Aid 5 (+1 racial bonus)

Composure 4 (+1 racial bonus)

Nature 3

Perception 3

Stealth 3

Streetwise 3

Martial (Improvised Melee) 1

1 unspent skill point

Just curious, Thuryl, but have our leveling-up choices shaped the campaign at all? E.g. I recall especially in the early days of AIMHack how the...escalation of certain combat skills led Eph to escalate the combat encounters, which in turn led to more skill inflation... In part to combat that, you implement your own skill point system. After...what, I guess four level-ups, how do you feel it has worked?

I used up all points.

Click to reveal..
Jarrox Phiser

Race: Dwarf

Alignment: Liver failure drunk

Level: 5

HP: 21/30 (+5)

Stamina: 2/10 (-1)

Str: 5

Dex: 6 (+1)

Int: 3

Artifice: 4 (+1)

History: 5 (+1)

Martial (Dwarven Waraxe): 4

Martial (Shields): 4

Nature: 4

Perception: 5 (+1)

Religion: 4 (+1)

Drunken Rage

"It's my ass and I'll kill you and all these lobsters and then make you into soup!"

When you are drunk, you receive a bonus to attack rolls and a penalty to all other rolls. The drunker you are, the bigger the bonus or penalty.

Worn:

Dwarven waraxe

Shield with family crest

Padded clothes (pants and shirt)

Breastplate

Vambraces

Greaves and cuisses

Gauntlets

Pike helmet

Backpack:

Belt pouch (20 gold)

Bedroll

Fish hook and line (15')

Flint and steel

Hand axe

Healing potion x2

Hempen Rope (46')

Magic cooking pot

Stamina Potion x1

Shovel

Sunrod x1

Trail Rations (8 days

Aleskin x3 (All 3 are now filled with PURE ALCOHOL.)

Whetstone

Iron Pyrite (A handful)

Just curious, Thuryl, but have our leveling-up choices shaped the campaign at all? E.g. I recall especially in the early days of AIMHack how the...escalation of certain combat skills led Eph to escalate the combat encounters, which in turn led to more skill inflation... In part to combat that, you implement your own skill point system. After...what, I guess four level-ups, how do you feel it has worked?

Well, I haven't given you any challenges that would require extensive use of skills your characters don't have -- that's just a matter of common courtesy. And if everyone had had very low combat skills, I'd have reduced the amount of combat, because that tells me you probably don't want or expect a lot of combat.

I feel as if the levelup system is mostly working as intended so far.

i am in my thread, posting my logs

Click to reveal..
Dyen: "Let us by. We shall all make what wishes that we make. No surrender. Only reason. Truce."

Lephista: "Well, we can work out some compromise in which all our wishes are possible, or my bearded associate can show you why we keep him around."

Meredith: "Don't worry, these lot aren't intelligent enough to double-cross you."

Jarrox: "Sweet morning glory of the almighty fire breather Farrox. My wish came true!"

Phulax: "There are more important things in life than drink, Jarrox. Like life."

Meredith: "So are you just randomly pulling levers?"

Dyen: "I am amassing data."

Meredith: "Oh, because it looks like you're just pulling levers."

Also, for striding boldly into danger and coming back out in one piece thanks to not one but two crits, Meredith has earned a perk!

Intrepid: Whenever you voluntarily make a roll that would cause you injury if failed, you gain a +2 bonus to that roll.

Remember, next session is at 11 pm UTC on Friday December 10th! I hope to see you all there!

also after that last session nobody is allowed to complain about bad rolls ever again

Yay perk! Thanks for the help on that one, Nioca - I'm sure I only got one 20 when jumping over a pressure plate.

Also,

Quote:

Meredith: "So are you just randomly pulling levers?"

Dyen: "I am amassing data."

Meredith: "Oh, because it looks like you're just pulling levers."

This is probably my favourite Meredith moment so far. tongue

Finally, I'm at work until 11:30ish UTC on Friday, so I'm going to be late. Sorry - it's this blasted weather we're having. I will attempt to get home as quickly as I can, but since the roads around me currently resemble sheets of ice, I can't promise I'll be back before 12. As soon as I am back, however, I won't have to leave early this week, so if somebody wants to cover until I get there to save you waiting, that's obviously fine.

Also, ding:

Click to reveal..

Meredith Prosset

Sex/Race: Human Female

Alignment: Scornful/Impatient

Level 5

Str: 3

Int: 6

HP: ??/25

Stamina: ??/10

History: 5

Religion: 4

Martial (Guns): 3

Martial (Rapiers): 4 (+2)

Perception: 3 (+1 Racial for 4 total) (+1)

Stealth: 2 (+1 Racial for 2 total)

Artifice: 5 (+1)

Nature: 3

(+1 point left unspent)

PERKS:

Intrepid: Whenever you voluntarily make a roll that would cause you injury if failed, you gain a +2 bonus to that roll.

Click to reveal..
Lephista
Race: Dragonborn
Alignment: Conflicted

Level: 5
HP: ??/40
Stamina: ?/10

Str: 7
Dex: 3

Martial (Battleaxe): 7
Magic (Conjuration): 6