City of Hope: An Optimistic AIMHack Campaign

Lilith

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Worst case scenario is go to your local library and try see if you can install AIM on a computer there if possible. If they have their computers locked down there pretty well, maybe try AIM Express? I've never used it, but apparently it's browser-only.

Actually, worst case scenario is that I dragoon you into subbing.

Or maybe that's the best case scenario, from your perspective.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Click to reveal..
Dyen Dawes
Race: Elf
Alignment: Enlightenment

Level: 2
HP: 16/16
Stamina: 10/10

Str: 3
Dex: 4
Int: 4

Martial (Unarmed): 3
Magic (Divination): 3
Perception: 4 (+1)
Composure: 2
Stealth: 3 (+2)
Streetwise: 1
Banked Skill Points: 1

Perk: Make Your Own Luck -- Whenever you critically fail a roll, your next roll receives a +4 bonus.

Spells:

* Fated Strike: Dyen looks into his fate and sees how he will live and his opponents fall. He receives a large bonus to accuracy on his next attack. (Move-equivalent action.)
* Glimpse of Oblivion: Dyen shows a single opponent the emptiness of the universe, stunning that enemy or making them cower in fear.
* Feeling the Way: Dyen lays his hands on something: a wall, an object, or person, and is shown what fate intends for him to do with it. Where to go, what to say, how to use it. Results may vary.
* Fate Never Lies: Dyen takes a statement and briefly meditates upon it, looking into Fate and trying to discern what aspects of it belong there, and are true, or do not, and are false.

Ding!

Click to reveal..
Lephista

Race: Dragonborn

Alignment: Conflicted

Level: 2

HP: 17/20

Stamina: 8/10

Str: 5

Dex: 2

Int: 4

Martial (Battleaxe): 4

Magic (Conjuration): 4

First Aid: 4 (1 racial)

Composure: 2 (1 racial)

Perception: 1

Religion (Mariona): 1

1 point unspent

Spells:

* Brafdyk's Mystic Succor: Heals a single target.

* Mystic Avian: Summons a bird, of a species of Lephista's choice, which can follow simple commands.

* Smoke Shroud: Conjures concealing smokescreens.

* Resconjure Minor: Creates a small, mundane object. Additional restrictions apply.

Great session, Thuryl! I'm looking forward to the next one.

Click to reveal..
Jarrox Phiser
Race: Dwarf
Alignment: Drunk

Level: 1
HP: 13/16 (+3)
Stamina: 10/10

Str: 3
Dex: 5 (+1)
Int: 3

Martial (Shields): 3
Artifice: 3 (+1)
History: 2
Martial (Dwarven Waraxe): 3 (+1)
Nature: 2
Perception: 3 (+1)
Religion: 3 (+1)

Worn:
Dwarven waraxe
Shield with family crest
Padded clothes (pants and shirt)
Breastplate
Vambraces
Greaves and cuisses
Gauntlets
Pike helmet

Backpack:
Belt pouch (20 gold)
Bedroll
Corroded Copper Coin
Fish hook and line (15')
Flint and steel
Hand axe
Healing potion x2
Hempen Rope (50')
Magic cooking pot
Stamina Potion x2
Shovel
Sunrod x2
Trail Rations (10 days)
Aleskin x3 (1 is now empty)
Whetstone

hey guess what i've got for you

a log, that's what

also quotes

Click to reveal..
Lephista: "Guys, I do not like to judge anyone before the facts are in, but I get the feeling we've just been enslaved."

Jarrox: I look at the others and whisper "There's a talking turtle guys. A. Talking. Turtle."

Phulax: "Pay no attention to Jarrox, he's even more confused than the rest of us."

Meredith: "Although placing him in a room adjacent to a large fall may save us headaches in the future..."

Jack: "What'd you expect them to have, Meredith? Fine down pillows?"

Dyen: I follow the lobster men to our room while the clowns try not to die.

Woo, super-fast log FTW. It is being mirrored over at my site.

Also, I like the improvements to the system here. I'm actually gonna remove the stupid 8-HP-bonus thing from my page, because it's stupid. Also the bonus HP at start is nice. And leveling, well I like the approach. I'm curious to see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
A log?! Already?.........This is now my favorite thread.
Read log, and I have a question... If the island has been underwater for so long....why is there moss everywhere already?! shouldnt it be seaweed?

For this I actually did some research on real-life islands that rose from the sea, like Surtsey. Moss and lichen start regrowing on any new land very fast, like within the first few months.

Click to reveal.. (Jack Heraln, now with twice the level!)
Name: Jack Heraln
Race: Lacewing
Alignment: Sensible Sarcastic

STATISTICS
STR - 2 | HP - 14
DEX - 2 | STM - 10
INT - 7 | SPD - 5
CXP - 0 | TXP - 30

SKILLS
First Aid - 4 (+1)
Magic (Divination) - 3 (+1)

Artifice - 2
Religion - 3 (+1)
Perception - 2
History - 2 (Racial Bonus)
Nature - 1
Thievery - 1 (Racial Bonus)

SPELLS
Decipher - Allows the caster to read languages and script he is unfamiliar with.
Read Magic - Reads the purpose of a magical object, effect, or aura.
Detect Magic - Detects the presence of nearby magic.
Reveal - Searches for hidden objects and reveals invisible enemies
Mnnima's Darklight - Grants the caster a visual image of the surrounding area as if brightened by torchlight. This does not see through walls, but can penetrate magical darkness. The effect lasts for roughly an hour.
Ekhart's Anatomical Familiarity (1 STM) - Grants the recipient an innate understanding of Motian anatomy. The next heal roll (be it First Aid or Magical Healing) that the recipient performs will be more likely to succeed and will heal considerably more damage.
Tanner's Hostile Divination - Scans a creature or being, determining any notable strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. The stronger the roll, the stronger the caster, and the weaker the enemy, the more accurate the information.

INVENTORY
16 Gold 8 Silver 1 Copper (16.81 Gold), First Aid Kit, Translation Booklet, Spellbook, Fancy clothes, Tinker's Tools, Dowsing Rod (magical, actually works, doubles as a short staff)

Click to reveal.. (BACKSTORY)
The chance of a lifetime. That's what Elpis's resurfacing meant to Jack. A scholar in the arts of engineering and religion, it was practically his duty to go. The likely-numerous engineering marvels and practices of aeons past would likely make whoever could gather that information first very wealthy. Which is why the Ylesk Academy of Arts agreed, and sent him off with a bodyguard.

Unfortunately, on his way to Dilegad, he was attacked by the pesky menace of brigands, and was forced to fly from his protector. Whereas he was supposed to have a private trip there, he was instead forced to join up with another group en-route to Elpis, where he hoped he could be the first to make the discoveries that would forever make Jack Heraln a household name.

Thanks. I've updated the first post with everyone's new stats. Also, Jarrox's belligerence has earned him a perk!

Drunken Rage

"It's my ass and I'll kill you and all these lobsters and then make you into soup!"

When you are drunk, you receive a bonus to attack rolls and a penalty to all other rolls. The drunker you are, the bigger the bonus or penalty.

To go along with his added Intelligence, Phulax picks up another spell. In case you're curious it's:

Click to reveal..
Le Couran’s Spyglass: creates a small, one-way portal; the caster may see and hear whatever is at the far end, but the most those at the end can perceive is a slight appearance of rippling in the air, and a faint magical disturbance. The orientation of the spyglass-portal can be adjusted, and it lasts for two minutes before stamina is required to continue it.

I just hope it ends up being useful. It's easy to know that a spell that drops an anvil will be useful. It's much more difficult to figure out how to effectively use more...subtle forms of magic.

Out of those three dates Friday the 17th and Saturday the 18th work for me. My life has become a devotion to school right now. I have a class on the EU everyday from 3:30-6:30pm for the next three weeks so that is eating up my time and life for the moment. Thanksfuly it ends on the 10th of Sep, then I just have to write a huge paper for the class.

If everyone else wants to do the session sooner then someone could sub for me. Otherwise the 17th would be the soonest I can make it.

Originally Posted By: waterplant
Originally Posted By: Lilith
Be present or be a peasant!
Originally Posted By: Triumph
...So are you asking us to choose between the two? Or just being indecisive? Or something else? confused

I'd choose peasant any day. Sounds as if it'd be heaps easier...
Same here, being a present sounds kinda creepy.

You know, you could also just declare a time for the RP _before_ you accept participants, and say if you can't make it, tough. There have been more people wanting to play, than who actually make it in, so this should work fine.

This has the additional advantage that the RP would take place at a consistent and predictable time, which makes it easier for people to plan around... this is how every traditional PNP RPG I've known of has operated, and it's worked fine.

I think I'd rather have a consistent group than a consistent time. We'll work something out.

Plus, most of the problems have come from people's schedules changing mid-campaign. If I tried to stick to a consistent schedule I'd probably have half the party gone in any given week, even if they initially all said they could make it.

• 2 weeks later...