City of Hope: An Optimistic AIMHack Campaign

Lilith

So I've downloaded and installed it. Now all I will have to do is give it a particular server (which you'll provide) and it will connect? I wasn't sure if I had to register some kind of user account or something, but I couldn't find anything definite.

Certainly if you want to, we can use. I think it could be a little messy having to keep up with a separate map program and the AIM chat window, but it's not a big deal.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48-hour warning!

Session starts at 10:30 pm UTC on Friday October 8th! Unless there are any objections, we'll be using MapTool version 1.3b75, and connecting to the server City of Hope. Use your character name as a username; no need for a password, I don't expect gatecrashers. You can also connect if you're not playing and just want to observe. AIM me if you need help.

Just over 10 hours left until the next session starts, and all the maps are finally ready to go. Make sure you're using the correct version of MapTool, and make sure you know how to get it working at least well enough to connect to a server. Spectators welcome. I hope you're ready!

Uh, yeah, that'd be because I haven't put the server up yet. I'll try to do that at least half an hour before the session starts. We can do a test run now if you'd like, though: get on AIM now and I'll tell you when I'm ready.

EDIT: OK, ready now. Try to connect within the next half hour or so. I'm going to sleep after that.

EDIT 2: All systems go! Triumph successfully connected to the server and was able to control his character. I've shut it down for the night now, but it'll be up again by the time the session is about to start.

Session's over. No levelup for this one since it ended up being kind of short, but I'll do my best to make up for it next time!

Here's the calendar for the next session. And for those of you who didn't spectate, here's a teaser.

EDIT: Also, there's been some confusion about how healing works, mostly because I hadn't made a proper decision about it myself. From the next session on, the following rules apply in this campaign:

* Healing from Conjuration always costs Stamina.

* Healing from First Aid has a limit of once per First Aid user, per battle or damaging encounter. Healing from First Aid does not cost Stamina (unless it is voluntarily spent to increase the amount healed), but a single First Aid user can only heal one character per encounter, and never for more than the amount of damage they received in that encounter.

• 2 weeks later...

Last session's log is finally ready.

Click to reveal..
Meredith: "Jack, come on. Think of the history down here. Or, if that fails to motivate, think of Zellak's men coming after us from behind."

Lephista: "We need another torch. I don't want to be standing next to Jarrox when he exhales on his and causes an explosion."

Phulax: "Meredith, if we stop Zellak, the island will be here as long as you want, to study. If don't stop Zellak, the island sinks. Which do you prefer?"

Jarrox: "But I want that egg to raise my own evil caterpillar."

Dyen: "You know, I've never tried Glimpse of Oblivion on the same person twice. I dunno if they could take it, Jarrox."

Also, for distinguished service in teleporting heavy objects over the heads of allies and enemies alike, Phulax has earned a perk!

Can't Stop The Rock: Once per session, you can take 10 on a Magic roll to use a teleportation spell even in situations where taking 10 would not normally be possible.

Sorry, guys, but I'm getting worse, not better, and I don't think I'm going to be able to run a session tomorrow after all. I hate to do this at such short notice, but I'd rather reschedule than disappoint you by running a half-hearted session for two hours before collapsing.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Lilith
...whenever everyone shows up...

Considering that this is CoH,

Originally Posted By: Clint Eastwood
...You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

tongue

This one has forgotten whether or not its heat sink has reached capacity. This one respectfully inquires whether or not criminal scum considers itself fortunate. tongue

Epic session <3

Also, DING!!

Click to reveal..

Meredith Prosset

Sex/Race: Human Female

Alignment: Distracted/Reproachful

Level 4

Str: 3

Dex: 4 (+1)

Int: 6

HP: 14/22 (+3)

Stamina: 3/10

History: 5 (+1)

Religion: 4

Martial (Guns): 3

Martial (Rapiers): 2

Perception: 2 (+1 Racial for 3 total)

Stealth: 2 (+1 Racial for 3 total)

Artifice: 4

Nature = 3 (+3)

Stealth: 2 (+1 Racial for 3 total)) (+2)

Artifice: 4

Nature = 3 (+3, New skill)

Ding!

Click to reveal..
Lephista

Race: Dragonborn

Alignment: Conflicted

Level: 4

HP: 21/33

Stamina: 6/10

Str: 7

Dex: 2

Int: 4

Martial (Battleaxe): 6

Magic (Conjuration): 5

First Aid: 4+1

Crafting (Alchemy): 3

Composure: 1+1

Perception: 1

Religion (Mariona): 1

1 point unspent

Spells:

* Brafdyk's Mystic Succor: Heals a single target.

* Mystic Avian: Summons a bird, of a species of Lephista's choice, which can follow simple commands.

* Resconjure Minor: Creates a small, mundane object. Additional restrictions apply.

* Illumination: Creates a floating ball of light over the caster's head, which follows the caster until dismissed.

Next session will probably be on Friday December 3rd, with Friday December 10th slated as a backup session in case of disaster. In the unlikely event that disaster does not occur, we might actually be able to get two sessions done in two weeks, so try to keep both dates free if you can.

Phulax Pulonos hits level 4! And there was much rejoicing.

Click to reveal..

Level 4

Strength 6

Dexterity 2

Intelligence 5

HP ??/29

Stamina ?/10

Speed 5

Magic (Transmutation) 5

First Aid 5 (+1 racial bonus)

Composure 3 (+1 racial bonus)

Streetwise 3

Stealth 3

Nature 2

Perception 2

Martial (Improvised Melee) 1

1 unspent skill point left over

Basically, Phulax suddenly discovers a skill for sneaking he didn't know he had. smile

What are my current HP / Stamina?

I wish I could come up with more spells that fit the character's background, but I just haven't been able to. I really enjoy playing with Teleport and Open Window; it's quite interesting try to figure out how to apply those utilities to different aspects of the game environment. I've also kind of liked the hit-or-miss effectiveness of his spellcasting: it's exactly where it should be for not-entirely-competent apprentice, in my mind. Sometimes it, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, in the session when we went underground we saw the following:

Quote:

The star is decorated in nine colours, representing the nine major gods worshipped here: the red of Liea, the purple of Tanann, the black of Sliros, the brown of Hurak, the white of Mariona, the blue of Kyrophius, the gold of Phol-Phoram, the green of Korossos, and at the centre, the grey of Imaunte. In clockwise order from the north, the colours go green, red, blue, black, white, purple, gold, brown.

My guess is we've passed through the Green challenge of Korossos (the batbears), and the Red challenge of Liea.