Question about experience gained in original trilogy?

This question is about the original trilogy of A1-A3. This is something thats been bugging me and I was hoping someone would know the answer.

I was wondering if there is anykind of experience scaling in the original trilogy. Basically, I was wondering if having one character with a higher level than the others will result in less XP gained overall from quests and monsters.

For example, if I had a priest with Sickness Prone and Brittle bones resulting in a +50% xp bonus

And then a mage with Natural Mage and Brittle bones with +5% xp bonus

And finally lets say a fighter slith with Elite Warrior and Sickness Prone for -30% xp penalty.

Would the priest with +50% xp level up significantly faster and somehow skew the party so that the mage and fighter get less experience than they would have if the priest would not have had such a significant xp bonus?

Or is the xp given unique for each character so that my slith would get the same xp regardless of how many more levels the priest had.

Thanks.

Yes, experience scales. I can't remember if it's based on average party level, highest party level, or some other unclear factor, but having higher level characters means gaining less experience. It's moderately beneficial to balance your bonuses and penalties so they're equal on all characters.

—Alorael, who also remembers the scaling being less painful in the original trilogy than in the second trilogy. Maybe he's remembering something wrong here.

Thanks for the answer, here is a followup question. smile

Are negative traits worth it if the extra xp bonus causes you to start losing xp faster. From reading the forums I have a strong impression that this is certainly the case in a4+ but is this a factor in the original trilogy too?

I have been thinking of a four person party. Which one of these would be better from effectiveness standpoint:

Human Fighter (Elite Warrior,Fast on Feet) -50% xp

Slith Fighter (Elite Warrior) -50% xp

Human Mage (Natural Mage,Good Education) -40% xp

Nephil Priest (Natural Mage,Nimble fingers) -50% xp

OR

Human Fighter (Elite Warrior,Sickness Prone) -10% xp

Slith Fighter (Elite Warrior,Sickness Prone) -30% xp

Human Mage (Natural Mage,Brittle Bones) +5% xp

Nephil Priest (Natural Mage,Brittle Bones) -5% xp

What would be the level difference at the end? Significant enough to be worth the negatives or should I just load up on positive traits instead. I have been trying to read old posts but I got rather confused so if you or anyone could clarify the matter I would be happy. smile

Thanks

Avernum 1 and 2 really don't benefit from negative traits because there is a level cap that is easily reached. Avernum 3 and Blades it can help if you go up fast enough to use the extra levels to compensate for negative effects. It works best for a singleton game or characters where the negatives don't hurt you.

For example brittle bones on a spellcaster that doesn't get hit by melee attacks.

Elite Warrior is good. Fast on Feet is quite good, especially if you abuse the wait command. Natural Mage is practically mandatory for mages, and since I like to make all caster mages and priests (a little bit helps!), go for it.

Good Education and Nimble Fingers are both largely useless. From what I can remember, they give tiny bonuses that might not even scale with level.

—Alorael, who sees no problem with Sickness Prone. It's not a very problematic negative modifier. You don't really need it, but it's not going to hurt you much.

Originally Posted By: how i live excellent life?
Fast on Feet is quite good, especially if you abuse the wait command. Natural Mage is practically mandatory for mages, and since I like to make all caster mages and priests (a little bit helps!), go for it.
I used to do a combo of Fast on Feet and Natural Mage a lot. Then I used it to tear through the first trilogy like tissue paper.
Quote:
Good Education and Nimble Fingers are both largely useless.
The same is true for Great Renown, which I actually found totally useless.
Quote:
—Alorael, who sees no problem with Sickness Prone. It's not a very problematic negative modifier. You don't really need it, but it's not going to hurt you much.
I prefer Completely Inept; it's got a higher bonus, and really isn't half as bad as the description.

Thanks all for the advice. Here is another question. I saw it mentioned in some old message that in A3 the divinely touched trait has been changed and made better than in A1-A2. Is this true? Is it worth going DT in A3?

And even if DT is better, is it better than say Elite Warrior. Taking both would give a massive xp penalty afterall.

Has anyone used DT in A3?

Originally Posted By: Leverin
Thanks all for the advice. Here is another question. I saw it mentioned in some old message that in A3 the divinely touched trait has been changed and made better than in A1-A2. Is this true? Is it worth going DT in A3?

And even if DT is better, is it better than say Elite Warrior. Taking both would give a massive xp penalty afterall.

Has anyone used DT in A3?

DT is, IMHO, awesomely useful in A3. I ran a DT NM singleton, and the ability to triple you AP with Divine Aid, plus the healing and the curing as a free action (costs no AP), saved my character's life dozens of times.

I could never figure out to what extend Divinely Touched made characters stats improve, but Divine Aid is a very solid benefit. You get a heavy blessing, an impressive haste, and very solid shielding.

A1 and A2 lack Divine Aid and instead lets you summon shades. That is much less helpful.

—Alorael, who thinks it would be especially good to put Divinely Touched on a singleton so you don't have to worry as much about spending resources or, worse, turns on buffing. For parties it's less necessary. You can also find one Divine Aid mind crystal, but not especially early.

Originally Posted By: Watergates
—Alorael, who thinks it would be especially good to put Divinely Touched on a singleton so you don't have to worry as much about spending resources or, worse, turns on buffing. For parties it's less necessary. You can also find one Divine Aid mind crystal, but not especially early.

Wait, I thought that the Divine Aid crystal was in Rentar's fortress, so it's completley useless for the entire game except the last level.