Exile2 problem

Øther

I have recently been playing BoE a lot, and have been really enjoying it. So then I thought, if I like BoE this much, it would be a good idea to take a look at the actual games, and maybe buy them. So I downloaded the demos for the exile trilogy, but there is a problem. The first and the third unstuff and I am able to play them, but when I try to unstuff the second, I get a message that says that an error has occured, and that the archive may contain damaged content, and below that it says error#17538. I have tryied redownloading Exile 2 multiple times, but the same thing happens. I'm at a loss. Could someone help? (I'm using a mac)

Most macs can't? I just downloaded the demo, switched to 256 colors, and I am playing the first one right now.

EDIT: Gah! I have been looking around a lot more, and I simply can't find any place that would allow me to download it. I did find one site, actually, but it just gave me the same file that I already have that my computer can't unstuff.

Exile is old. The Mac version predates both OS X and the switch to Intel chips by many years. It won't run natively under OS X and it won't run at all on an Intel Mac. Any Mac sold in the last six years won't be able to run it.

Note that this is true of ALL older mac software and is not particular to Exile in any way.

(You can get it to run on an Intel Mac by emulating a much older mac, but this is a complicated and somewhat difficult process.)

I can play the first and the third exiles, seemingly without an issue. It's just that I can't even unstuff the file that I download from the spiderweb website. Either it's my computer, or something is wrong with the file. If I can't use the exiles, I MIGHT try the early Avernums (I have tried their demos, so I know they work), but most of all what I enjoy about exile is it large range of awsome spells, and having six characters does make things a bit easier. I have no idea why my computer isn't able to unstuff the Exile 2 file, since it was able to do it with the other exiles.