A6 - Leveling (check last post)

Darkeonz

True, but there are far more of every kind (except knowledge brews/elixers) then I ever require. In A6, I save all of my ingredients to make the knowledge brews, and I never even come close to running out of potions. Of course, if the party isn't built too well and relies heavily on some kind of potion, then eventualy they will have some problems. But for the most part, if I ever need to use any kind of potion, I likely have a ton of them stored away in my inventory.

Also, if you have three or less people, you can get an infinite number of healing potions.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
Originally Posted By: waterplant

Potions are the new camping. 'Chug one mid battle and blast away!!' could be a good slogan for some innovative herbalist somewhere.

except party might need several potions to get back on full state and only limited amount of potions exist.

Have you ever run out of potions Emp?

If you have less than four people, then you can create and delete a new person whenever you want to. I find this useful for those nature caches and doors I normally can't get, since I can just make a new character, have it be custom, and then dump everything in the required skill. But with the potions, every time you create a new character, they come equipped with one leather armor and one healing potion. Creating and deleting many characters can get you as many healing potions and leather armors as you want. (You could also get infinite money from this, but that would take too long and be boring.)

Yah, but in the new run though that I am slowly working on, I have two characters that both have only two points each in priest, and thats all the magic they have. Whenever I create a new character for something (which is quite often), and one of my two other characters are running a little low on healing potions (some fights can be really tough for these guys), I give them the free healing potion before I delete the character. It really helps.

I got a question. I got a new sword called spectral falchion and it got 7-14 base dmg and then +2 to defense and +4% to hostile effect resistance. then i got another sword that is a Blessed shortsword with base damage 10-20.

first sword is worth 2000 and the 2nd one is worth 700. Is the extra things on the first sword worth it though? i mean it does less dmg

Originally Posted By: Darkeonz
I got a question. I got a new sword called spectral falchion and it got 7-14 base dmg and then +2 to defense and +4% to hostile effect resistance. then i got another sword that is a Blessed shortsword with base damage 10-20.

first sword is worth 2000 and the 2nd one is worth 700. Is the extra things on the first sword worth it though? i mean it does less dmg

Value calculations are only loosely tied to utility. For example, the objectively best sword in Geneforge 5, the Puresteel Blade, was only worth 625 coins, while other swords were worth 700-1250 coins despite being much, much worse for combat.

Basically, don't trust the value as an indication of how "good" a weapon is. If I were in your scenario, I'd pick the Blessed Shortsword, but that's just me. (Also, I've never dual-wielded on an A6 playthrough. Seems too much like cheating. Magepriests all the way!)

Originally Posted By: Dantius

Value calculations are only loosely tied to utility. For example, the objectively best sword in Geneforge 5, the Puresteel Blade, was only worth 625 coins, while other swords were worth 700-1250 coins despite being much, much worse for combat.

Basically, don't trust the value as an indication of how "good" a weapon is. If I were in your scenario, I'd pick the Blessed Shortsword, but that's just me. (Also, I've never dual-wielded on an A6 playthrough. Seems too much like cheating. Magepriests all the way!)

I'm a noob though! lol. I have no idea what i should spend my skill points on or anything. I just saw duelwielding pop up and thought it was a good idea. Why do you consider it cheating? does it make the game too easy or what?

I'm a noob though! lol. I have no idea what i should spend my skill points on or anything. I just saw duelwielding pop up and thought it was a good idea. Why do you consider it cheating? does it make the game too easy or what?

Yeah, you can do massive amounts of damage with dual wielding- some people here have gotten 600+ points of damage per turn with Adrenaline Rush, Haste, and Speed elixirs. It's really, really, powerful.

Originally Posted By: Dantius

Yeah, you can do massive amounts of damage with dual wielding- some people here have gotten 600+ points of damage per turn with Adrenaline Rush, Haste, and Speed elixirs. It's really, really, powerful.

i see. I don't even know what adrenaline rush is? Is it a skill? i do only about 40-50 dmg and i i'm level 16 i think

Adrenaline Rush is a battle discipline. You get access to battle disciplines as you acquire combat skills. Adrenaline Rush is particularly useful, as it increases your action points, potentially allowing three attacks in a single round.

If you click on the icon that looks like a sword on a shield (or just hit "d"), the battle discipline menu will pop up. Disciplines that you currently have access to will be highlighted and can be used every few rounds. You'll see a fatigue score on the character's portrait; when that goes away, you can use another discipline.

One more question. I've on purpose avoided bulk armor because it ruins my chances of hitting. Is this the right move? or should i just give my warrior a ton of bulk armor? i think i got some pretty good stuff. but if i add it all it's prolly like - 45% chance of hitting lol

Nah, your fighter should pile on all the heavy armor he can get (except shields- dual wield instead)- he probably already has a 150% chance to hit. If you're concerned about the penalties of investing in too much armor, just put points into the Defense skill in order to counteract armor penalties. It's worth it.

okay thanks a lot!.. one last question! What do i do about like mind control and stuff. i just met some blue basilisk and my units couldn't do anything after they got attacked. Maybe i need a spell for my priest or something. it might be too early with level 16 to fight them

Basilisks need to be killed quickly and with extreme prejudice. If you see a basilisk in a group of enemies, have everyone in the party try to attack it for as much damage as possible in order to kill it ASAP. They're a real pain, especially when they can just flat-out obliterate you if you're playing as a singleton (like me frown ).

singleton?

You have the option to delete characters at party creation and play the game with less than four people.

Quote:
Also do you know how i can get kaye to train me? do i need to finish some quest?

You need to attain a higher rank first. In order to be promoted, you have to do the major Castle quests.

Quote:
My fighter can get blademaster, but my lizard thingy can't, even though he has 9 in pole and 7 in strenght

In order to unlock a special skill, the prerequisite skills have to be raised to a certain point through trainers and adding in skill points only. Racial or trait bonuses (such as pole weapons for sliths) do not count towards unlocking special skills.

Dikiyoba.

ahh thanks!.. playing with 1 unit sounds crazy to me wink. lol.

as for the slith, i should go to 11 so in pole then? I don't know how much is started with. I just wanna make sure it's not the strenght that i need to bring up as well

also there's duel wilding when i hit 10 in pole. Does this mean i can have two poles? or does it only count towards swords?

another thing. I haven't spend anything on dexterity for any of my units. is this a major mistake?

No, you can't dual wield pole weapons. That's just a little quirk in the skill system.

Dexterity is useful for unlocking Quick Strike, Parry, Sharpshooter, Gymnastics, and Resistance. You will find many different opinions on the value of these skills--in fact, if you look, you'll find incredibly detailed analyses of their relative merits and worthiness.

Personally, I like Quick Strike, though I think someone proved statistically that it's not that great. Parry has quite a few proponents, as well, and it can save your character's life.

But in answer to your question, no, it's not a huge mistake. With a well-rounded party of four, you can get by just fine without extra Dex. Or raise it later.

playing with 1 unit sounds crazy to me
But it can be played that way if you so desire; every now and again you hear of someone playing one game or another as a singleton. It's sort of like a challenge mode, like playing on "torment."
as for the slith, i should go to 11 so in pole then? I don't know how much is started with. I just wanna make sure it's not the strenght that i need to bring up as well
Depending on your slith's level, you actually might not need that much, or you might need more. Check it out with every skill level you buy.
also there's duel wilding when i hit 10 in pole. Does this mean i can have two poles? or does it only count towards swords?
Most, if not all, pole weapons are two-handed weapons. Dual wielding allows you to use two one-handed weapons at the same time. So, at least in theory, yes, you can use two pole weapons at the same time, provided that they're both one-handed. Don't rely on my word, though; I normally don't use pole weapons.

okay thanks a lot for the help. I hope i'm not a pain in the ass asking all these questions lol. But there's a lot of stuff you just don't really know when you haven't played the games a whole lot. I used to play exile as a kid, and loved it. but it's many years ago now

My spellcasters,... should i just focus on spellcraft? both got around 8 in each their skill. both the priest and mage, and then i've just spend the rest on spellcraft, and a little bit of magical efficiency

I hope i'm not a pain in the ass asking all these questions lol. But there's a lot of stuff you just don't really know when you haven't played the games a whole lot. I used to play exile as a kid, and loved it. but it's many years ago now
That's okay, it's what the forums are for. And several of us also used to (and some still might) play the Exile games.

My spellcasters,... should i just focus on spellcraft? both got around 8 in each their skill. both the priest and mage, and then i've just spend the rest on spellcraft, and a little bit of magical efficiency

What i loved about exile, is the fact that you could have like what? 6? chars? and you could like hire them all over the place. I loved that aspect of the game

That's fine. You'll want to raise their main spellcasting skills to at least 17 eventually, so that they can cast all of the spells. Raising intelligence will add to your mana pool, although I think it's been shown that magical efficiency is actually a better investment.

Later you can buy them some combat skills from a trainer to give them access to battle disciplines, some of which are very nice for spellcasters.

Luck, Hardiness, and Endurance are also good investments for anybody.

People here will tell you that human characters are not the best, that you should start with Nephil or Slith, make them Divinely Touched, Elite Warrior for the fighters, Natural Mage for the Mage, and the equivalent for your Priest. Also, the default characters have bad distributions of skills.

But it's too late for any of that now. And I've played through with the default group, and it's possible, especially on normal difficulty.

You need to start pushing up your Luck (first) then Hardiness (second) -- this will make you take less damage and be able to stay in a fight longer. Also, it doesn't look like you're taking advantage of all the armor. Don't worry about the -10% to hit (or whatever) -- it is irrelevant. Just bulk up on armor, especially the stuff that has other resistances built in. Your melee fighter should be dual wielding. Use the trainer in Ft. Remote to buy your first three points of DW, then unlock the skill and run it and Quick Action up to at least 10 each. Your pole user should be working on QA, too.

Work on your tactics, too. If there are multiple enemies, move in slowly and when you get their attention, you'll go into combat mode. Immediately run a few squares away. Some will pursue, some may stay behind. That way you can fight them in smaller groups. When they're dead, go out of combat mode and recover, then go back and do the same thing over and over until you clear the area. Back into tunnels or out of doorways so that only one or two of them get to attack, and you can keep your fighters between them and your spellcasters. Use the Daze and Control Foe spells as often as necessary. But then don't wake up the Dazed baddies with area attack spells or lightning, use targeted spells only.

Never go into battle without the war blessing, protection, and haste spells. When you get Ward of Steel, use it, too. If the enemy has fire, cold, or energy attacks that are killing you, use Ward of Elements instead.

Also, there is usually a spellcaster or two, or a tough fighter in the groups. Gang up on them and kill them first, even if other guys are pounding on you. In general, gang up on everybody: attack one guy and kill him, then move to the next.

Hope this helps some.

Here we go! question nr 1.000.000 million lol. How much effect does upgrading a spell have? like lightning spray. I just bought from level 2 to level 3? is it a signifigant difference?

I wish there would be some information about the upgrades. If they do an avernum 7 at some point, it would be a real nice addition wink

Increasing a spell level means you do one more die of damage with that spell slightly increase a spells duration. You can read the spell descriptions in the player's manual to find the die value of each spell.

Spellcraft only increases it by 0.75 times the die.

If you plan to use the spell frequently then get extra levels of the spell. Otherwise one level is usually all you need.