Randomised Scenario Contest

tridash

In order to hopefully get some activity going here, here's the Randomised Scenario Contest.

RULES

The Randomised Scenario Contest will involve being given some basic elements of your scenario at random, from HERE, such as basic plot, location, and enemies. Other than that it's basically a 1/10 contest, i.e., you can have at most 1 outdoor section and 10 towns in the scenario.

• The contest has begun now, but you can still enter if you want.
  • Final entries are due by the end of Sunday August 15th (that's PST).
  • Judging will occur starting Monday August 16th and all reports from judges are due by the end of Sunday August 29th.
  • Results will be reported publicly on Tuesday, August 31st.
As you can see, the contest will extend past July. This will give contestants more time to test their scenarios. As a general rule of thumb, aim for development to be completed by August, so you have a couple weeks to have your masterpiece beta-tested. And of course, nothing stops you from creating an improved version of your scenario after the contest, so it's better to release early than release never.

JUDGING

Will not be too serious, and open to anyone who wants to do it. As above, will be in the second half of August.

Everyone who creates a scenario will earn the respect and admiration of the community, but there will be a fabulous prize to the designer who produces the most outstanding work. A Best Scenario award will be given to the designer who produces the best entry. The prize? A Spiderweb Software game of that designer's choice!

(We'll supply the winner with the registration code for the game, and make sure Jeff knows we're buying it under your name. Own all the games already? No worries -- if you're willing to wait, I hear there's a new one coming out soon.)

Finally, it has to be pointed out that there are a lot of new designers who've signed up for the contest. To celebrate this, there will be an identical prize for the Best Scenario by a New Designer!

(Note that it's entirely possible for a new designer to win the Best Scenario award, and thus have the two awards given to new designers.)

ENTERING

If you want to enter, visit the randomiser page, get your randomised scenario ideas, then post them in this thread to enter.

ENTRANTS:

Niemand

tridash

Enraged Slith

The Mystic

Nikki

Duck

B.J.Earles

Fractal

Dan

Handyman

Nioca

Metatron

Grail Shadowblade

Ackrovan

Celtic Minstrel

w-dueck

Faerie_Storm

Dintiradan

Abrum

lampshade

and more??

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

So here's how it's going to go. Once you're done with your scenario and happy with it, here's what you should do:

[*]Get beta testers to test your scenario for bugs, plot holes, combat balance, etc. This isn't strictly necessary, especially for a smaller scenario, but is still very, very recommended.

[*]If your scenario has custom graphics, make sure you make a PC version and a Mac version of the scenario (because them Mac folks do graphics a totally different way than us cool PC people). Feel free to ask for help for this step.

[*]E-mail your compressed file(s) to blades.contest (at) gmail (dot) com. The version the judges will use for the contest will be the one attached to the last e-mail you send before the deadline.

Speaking of judges, now is the time for all good people to come to the aid of their community. Post here if you want to be a judge, and you'll be sent the contest e-mail password and further instructions once the submission deadline passes.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your randomly generated scenario description here!

Well, sort of. I have this dire warning on the page right now that it's not permanent. Since we came up with the possible scenario categories hours ago, the list can still easily change. Also, I need to ensure that the same categories aren't picked repeated, 'cause boy oh boy that random number generator seems to have favourites.

Once everything is satisfactory (which won't take long at all), the page will also be able to serve as registration. Still, confirming on this thread is probably a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Didn't we agree to have two or three "cool things"?
Probably. I missed a lot of stuff.
Quote:
Also, I don't remember if I mentioned this in the chat, but I thought it would be a good idea to let the designer "re-roll" one of their results.
This would take a bit more work, but would be doable.

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to make a dangerous trip.
The scenario will take place in a snowy climate.
The party will spend most of the time fighting magical creations.
Three things will be important to the plot: a red herring, a set of secret documents, and unwarranted self-importance.

Excellent! I look forward to starting, once July rolls around.

Registered. Whether I complete the scenario on time, however, is another matter entirely. In any event, it gives me an excellent excuse to play around with the editor.

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to deliver an item.

The scenario will take place in dense forest or jungle.

The party will spend most of the time fighting goblin mobsters.

Three things will be important to the plot: a secret way to defeat an insurmountable obstacle, an old family heirloom, and a bad idea.

*sighs, shrugs*

Not really what I wanted to roll, but I'll at least give it a shot.

@Dintiradan: I played around a bit with the scenario description generator before and after registering. It looks like a great way to come up with scenario ideas in general, not just for 1/10 contests.

Quote:

Make a scenario where the party has to retrieve an item.
The scenario will take place in rocky mountains or hills.
The party will spend most of the time fighting demonic bandits.
Three things will be important to the plot: a mysterious artifact, someone's redemption, and bad news.

Demonic bandits? Haha. This sounds like a very old (unreleased) scenario of mine. Awesome.

Quote:

Make a scenario where the party has to stop a monster plague.
The scenario will take place in a river or lake system.
The party will spend most of the time fighting wild beasts.
Three things will be important to the plot: a trap or ambush, a container of mysterious contents, and the mastermind behind it all.

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to defend a location or person.
The scenario will take place in a marsh or swamp.
Three things will be important to the plot: a powerful mage the party meets, a natural wonder, and hallowed ground.

I think this is going to make a very good scenario. Count me in.

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to assault a location.
The scenario will take place in a belt of farmland.
The party will spend most of the time fighting vahnatai rebels.
Three things will be important to the plot: a vengeful spirit, a wishing well, and a mystical beggar.

This means Rentar is fair game.

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to make a daring escape.
The party will spend most of the time fighting giant spies.
Three things will be important to the plot: dangerous cutlery, a good idea, and a powerful mage the party meets.

should be interesting..

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to rescue someone.
The scenario will take place in caves.
The party will spend most of the time fighting troglodyte mages.
Three things will be important to the plot: a sinister conspiracy, a last request someone has made, and a fearsome stalker.
Well, it could be good...hm.

Make a scenario where the party has to solve a mystery.

The scenario will take place in a river or lake system.

The party will spend most of the time fighting slithzerikai bandits.

Three things will be important to the plot: the tremendous riches at stake, unrealistic expectations, and good news.

Make a scenario where the party has to perform some reconnaissance.

The party will spend most of the time fighting undead cultists.

Three things will be important to the plot: a glorious mustache, an unfortunate accident, and a busty blond.

Well, the elements given to me are, simply put, EPIC STUFF. Let's see whether they produce a win or a fail.

Make a scenario where the party has to rescue someone.

The scenario will take place in caves.

The party will spend most of the time fighting ogre mages.

Three things will be important to the plot: profitable headbanging, a family secret, and a delicious cake.

Man, this stuff practically writes itself. tongue

Possibly, though I've been called worse; therefore, I'll forgive the remark. I passed because all the ideas that came to mind were on the raunchy side, and I'm not ready to be thrown out of these forums just yet (if ever).

Also, I did some playing around with the random scenario generator after I registered, and the following result made me very glad indeed that I passed up "busty blond" as a plot element:

Click to reveal..
If you really, really want to know, click below.
Click to reveal..
If you think you can handle it, click below.
Click to reveal..
Okay, you asked for it. Just don't say I didn't warn you.
Quote:
Three things will be important to the plot: a glorious mustache, a busty blond, and a delicious cake.

Metatron

Make a scenario where the party has to assassinate someone.

The party will spend most of the time fighting human cultists.

Three things will be important to the plot: a celebration, nature's aid, and unwarranted self-importance.

I just popped in and saw this. It looks exciting. My alleged second scenario has, uh... been on a six-month hiatus. I've been busy slacking off.

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to assault a location.
The party will spend most of the time fighting goblin assassins.
Three things will be important to the plot: an unexpected betrayal, a powerful warrior the party meets, and a sticky situation.

Well fingers crossed I can do this with little trouble, might have to do the code without all the nice utilities though seeing as they don't like the temp laptop ¬_¬

Well, let's give this a shot....

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to assassinate someone.

The party will spend most of the time fighting nephil spies.

Three things will be important to the plot: time running out, a disaster (like a famine or flood), and a powerful creature the party meets.

Quote:

Make a scenario where the party has to retrieve an item.
The scenario will take place in a snowy climate.
The party will spend most of the time fighting nephil mobsters.
Three things will be important to the plot: a family secret, an unexpected betrayal, and an unfortunate accident.

I got nephil rebels initially, and I have to say I'm quite happy with the re-roll. Mobsters sounds to me like mafia/crime-ring/etc stuff, and that's how I shall interpret it.

Hopefully I can do this in three weeks; I might get some planning done in the first week between working on my essay, but I'll definitely get no construction or scripting done.

Originally Posted By: Shadowcat
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Possibly, though I've been called worse; therefore, I'll forgive the remark.

Haha, twas made in jest - the contest starts in 2 days and there's been no trash talk! tongue
I thought as much. Just be thankful you don't know me personally, or you would've called me some synonym of "crazy" (many of which, by the way, I take as a compliment wink ).

Originally Posted By: B.J.Earles
Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to defend a location or person.
Three things will be important to the plot: a powerful mage the party meets, a natural wonder, and hallowed ground.

I think this is going to make a very good scenario. Count me in.

This reminds me of Princess Monoke. I'll be interested to see what you do with it, not least because that's one of my favourite films.

That does sound like Princess Monoke. I hadn't noticed that before. I liked that movie too, but I have something slightly different in mind for this. It's not that Princess Monoke wouldn't make a good scenario (In fact, I think it would make a great scenario, and someone should totally do that wink ), but I have other plans for this.

Originally Posted By: B.J.Earles
It's not that Princess Monoke wouldn't make a good scenario (In fact, I think it would make a great scenario, and someone should totally do that wink )

I did start one, but heck, we all know my record of starting scenarios I never finish. tongue

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to make a dangerous trip.
The party will spend most of the time fighting goblin rebels.
Three things will be important to the plot: time running out, hallowed ground, and a celebration.

Dunno if I'll be able to partake, but it looks fun.

Quote:
Make a scenario where the party has to deliver an item.
The party will spend most of the time fighting vahnatai warriors.
Three things will be important to the plot: an old family heirloom, a natural wonder, and a last request someone has made.

This sounds like it could be interesting :-)

So, as it's the eve of the contest (technically, in my part of the world at least (and I probably won't be around much later in the day)) I just wanted to say that as a long-time BoA designer/community member, I am totally stoked that so many people have expressed an interest in this, and I'm especially excited with all the new faces signing up.

As always, there are plenty of people here to help you out if you get stuck or just need help with something along the way, and this will be a great way to release something and have fun doing so!

Also, if you've been given a location that requires custom graphics (such as the snowy climes, and possibly the marsh and jungle) and aren't sure where to get the graphics, or how to put them into the game, please post in this thread, and I'll throw together a basic pack of floors/terrains you might need/find useful.

With that, best of luck to everybody, and I can't to see what we end up with!

Edit: Look how great I am! Here's a snow template with basic terrain and floors for you! IF YOU ARE USING THESE GRAPHICS, PLEASE CREDIT THE ARTIST (in this case, DAHAK, LENAR and EPHESOS.)

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's around 24 hours more before July begins. At least, it's still the 29th here.

I do need custom graphics. I seem to recall seeing snow graphics somewhere, but can't quite recall where (and I don't remember if they included frozen-over rivers; I'd like to have the option of having partially frozen-over rivers, even). If you feel like hunting them down for me, that would be quite helpful. If not... well, I'm sure I can hunt them down just fine on my own. smile

EDIT: Uh... why was it SFTP?

It was sftp because I fail at copy/pasting.

Also, it's the 30th here, so I am correct. tongue

Also also, here's some marsh terrain you might enjoy (the default graphics for marshes are fine, but I found them a bit lacking which is why I made these): Marsh template. If you're going to use these graphics, please credit me in the ReadMe. smile

Addit: Here's some jungle graphics in a nice template-pack if you happened to want something different from the default. IF YOU USE THESE GRAPHICS, PLEASE CREDIT THE AUTHOR (in this case, ENRAGED SLITH)! Thank you.

So, as it's the eve of the contest (technically, in my part of the world at least (and I probably won't be around much later in the day)) I just wanted to say that as a long-time BoA designer/community member, I am totally stoked that so many people have expressed an interest in this, and I'm especially excited with all the new faces signing up.

As always, there are plenty of people here to help you out if you get stuck or just need help with something along the way, and this will be a great way to release something and have fun doing so!
What Nikki said. I don't think any of the organizers were expecting over seventeen entries. Even if less than a quarter of people actually finish a scenario, that's still more than the last contest had (though, the last one was a 24 hour contest, and thus harder).

Now, let's see what I can do with Entry #18:
Quote:

Make a scenario where the party has to stop a monster plague.
The party will spend most of the time fighting giant mages.
Three things will be important to the plot: good news, bad news, and a bad idea.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Entry #18
There's 18 entries?! Wow. That alone should make things interesting.

In the meantime, it's now July for me, so I can finally (officially) start my scenario; I've been writing down half-ideas since I registered.

we all know my record of starting scenarios I never finish. tongue
Definitely at least as bad as mine, though I think my record is probably worse.