Installing from the CD: Exile on Vista

Hondero

Hello!

I wanted to continue playing Exile 1 after a long break. During this break, I moved to a Vista laptop from my WinME desktop. I have the old Exile trilogy CD, but running any of the Exile files doesn't work, giving the message:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system

information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

I tried copying the installer and then running it in compatibility mode for Win95/98, but still got the same message. Fortunately, I have the registered version of Exile 1 still on my old WinME, along with the savegames (the machine isn't plugged in now, but I was planning on turning it on and moving the save files to the new computer anyways), so would it be possible to simply put the whole Exile 1 folder on the WinME into a zip file and then copy that to the laptop, hopefully avoiding installation altogether?

Thanks in advance! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated too.

EDIT: I just read Micawber's post on the Win7 compatibility thread, so I'm going to try VirtualBox.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
You might be able to change the display settings in the virtual Win98. Otherwise, try VirtualBox with WinXP or WinME; the Exile games should look a lot nicer.

Thanks for the tips, I actually tried out your advice on the "Windows 7 Compatibility" thread on using DosBox with Win3.1 and it works out perfectly! I really miss Win3.1 too, so it has a nostalgic feeling that goes right with Exile.

• 7 months later...

If you are on Vista and you are having trouble playing an older game such as the first Exile, I suggest going to your desktop, then right click the game icon and go to properties. From there you want to hit the Compatibility tab on the top. After that you can choose different options on how your computer will run the game.