Windows 7 Compatibility

Visigoth

Originally Posted By: Alorael
You don't need Windows for DOSBox. You don't even need an old copy of DOS.
Actually, you need a (preferably legal) copy of Windows 3.1 or Windows 3.11 for workgroups to run inside DOSBox if you want to play the Exile trilogy on it.

As for Basilisk... Sheepshaver is better, but it's harder to get it to work. That said, I managed to find a copy that works nicely which came bundled with WordPerfect for Mac (no idea if that's legal, but I don't care about the WordPerfect part anyway, so it's somewhat irrelevant).

I'm playing Exile in DOSBox though. Occasionally.

As I recall, SheepShaver had a problem with Exile 1 but was able to run Exile 2. I don't remember if I tried Exile 3... then again, it's entirely possible that I tried 3 rather than 1.

Anyway, you can give it a try. Note that Sheepshaver requires a "New World ROM" rather than an "Old World ROM" like Basilisk II needs. I'm not 100% sure what the difference is though.

I couldn't ever get that to work properly.

You could try opening "BasiliskIIGUI.exe" and unchecking "Disable CD-ROM Driver" and selecting your "CD-ROM Drive", but it wouldn't work for me.

You could also try opening "BasiliskIIGUI.exe" and checking the "Enable 'My Computer' icon on your Mac desktop (external file system)."

If it still won't read your CD, you can try copying the contents of the CD to your C drive first, and then trying to open those files from within the "My Computer" on your Mac Desktop. But copying old Mac files to a drive in a modern format could make the old Mac files unusable.

I'm guessing this is the Exile Trilogy CD that you are wanting to read. I think a problem with this is that the disk is probably in a hybrid format. I'm guessing you will only be able to read the PC side of the disk. If you have a Mac you have access to with a copy of Roxio's toast installed, you could convert it to something you can open in BasiliskII.

Maybe someone else has better ideas.

If you can't get anything to work, and you really want your CD in BasiliskII, you could snail mail me the CD that need converting. Then I will convert it, mail you the CD back, and email you a disk image with instructions. PM me if you want to do this.

I think I I wasn't being very clear in my last post. You can order the trilogy CD, get the codes emailed to you, and type the codes into the demo versions to turn them into the full registered versions. The demo versions are already on there and they just need to be registered. You can have registration codes emailed to you when you order.

Originally Posted By: jecowa
I think I I wasn't being very clear in my last post. You can order the trilogy CD, get the codes emailed to you, and type the codes into the demo versions to turn them into the full registered versions. The demo versions are already on there and they just need to be registered. You can have registration codes emailed to you when you order.
Yes I know that much, I was just wondering if I'd be able to register the demos I have for the CD compilation price.

Originally Posted By: brumagem
I was just wondering if I'd be able to register the demos I have for the CD compilation price.
Yes you can; just send in the registration codes when you order the CD. You'll get an email with the codes to unlock the games and editors. Then go into each game/editor, click "Register," type in the appropriate code, and enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I did find a way to play ExileII (the demo-version, which I assume is the full game, but crippled) natively under windows 7. I'm running it on a laptop with windows 7 ultimate.

Right-click (or left-click if you're lefthanded) the gamefile, go to the compability-tab and make it windows 95 compatible, let it run at 640x480 and disable visual themes.

Hopefully it works for you as well!

Originally Posted By: Syrion
ExileII (the demo-version, which I assume is the full game, but crippled)
You assume correctly. The main (and probably only) differences between the demo and full versions is that the demo allows you to play only a fraction of the game, and most editor features are disabled.
Quote:
windows 7 ultimate
That's why your solution works. Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate both come with a "Windows XP mode," which allows the OS to run a lot of older programs. People who have Home Premium (like me) have to resort to other methods like virtualization.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Leave your sanity at the door.

Thanks for the welcome, but what makes you believe I'm sane? wink

Edit:

Just installed the same demo on my netbook with Windows 7 starter edition (the very low end of the series): works perfectly!

Again:

Rightclick Exile.exe

properties

compitability -> Run as windows 95

Disable visual themes + run 640x480.

Interesting. I have 64-bit Win7 Home Premium, and when I tried playing the Exile series, my computer acted as though I had done it a grave personal wrong. My Vista computer could run it rather well, but under protest. Since then, I've become content to run it in WinXP via VirtualBox.

I don't; I know I never was. The "leave your sanity at the door" thing serves two purposes:

1) It's basically the standard greeting here for new members, and

2) Depositing your sanity makes it much easier for the fluffy turtles to eat your sanity.

Edit:

Just installed the same demo on my netbook with Windows 7 starter edition (the very low end of the series): works perfectly!

Again:
Rightclick Exile.exe
properties
compitability -> Run as windows 95
Disable visual themes + run 640x480.

I'm willing to bet that is the 32-bit version. The games run fine in 32-bit Windows, but it is not possible to run 16-bit applications, like Exile, in a 64-bit operating system.

Hello, I am having trouble running Exile 1 on my machine. The PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium, and is a 32 bit system. I have only just got the registration code for the game today, having being a fan many years ago and deciding recently to get back into it again.

Firstly, the machine I was playing the demo on has now decided that it won't play Exile at all; I went to load it to enter the code and it wouldn't run. Fine, copied the files onto my laptop, which is running the system described above.

The issue is that the game keeps stopping. I am able to open it, play for about 1 minute and then it just vanishes. I'm not getting any kind of error code, it just vanishes and I'm suddenly back on the desktop. I seem to be able to do less and less each time I open it now.

I have already tried to run it under Win 95 compatibility, with 640x480 screen and visual themes disabled - no difference. I have also tried admin mode, both with and without the compatibility settings.

Any suggestions?

Just to update, I have noticed that the game only vanishes during combat. I can wander around fine (so far as I can tell), but when I get into combat, the game vanishes. Also, not right at the start, but once I have made a few moves, and randomly as far as I can tell. By that I mean it doesn't seem to be after a certain number of combat moves, or when I try and cast spells. The game just vanishes without warning during combat.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
A convoluted but completely free and legal way to play the Exile games in Windows 7 would be to install a Linux distro, such as Ubuntu, in VirtualBox. Then install Exile using Wine.
I never thought of that. Well, I did think about running an emulator within an emulator, just to see if it could be done; but I never thought of using Wine-in-Linux-in-VirtualBox. Then again, I don't use Linux; I swear Linux thinks I did it some grave unforgivable wrong when I tried using it a few years back, and it destroyed my (spare, fortunately) hard drive.

Originally Posted By: Mestalidd
I run Exile3 on windows 7 32-bit just fine.
Come to think of it, I have an OEM copy of 32-bit Win7 Home Premium collecting dust. Maybe I'll install it in VirtualBox and try it.