Possibility of Linux version?

King InuYasha

Jeff has spoken on this for other games. Presumably, the answer will be no as it has been. The reason is time, skill, and ultimately cost benefit. Jeff has stated he knows how to program in Mac and port to Windows. Linux, while very similar to Mac, has some peculiarities depending on the distribution that would take up additional time to work through and test adequately.

Like it or not, the market share on Linux is incredibly small. The time Jeff would have to spend porting to Linux is time Jeff does not spend making more games, which is ultimately a more profitable use of his time.

I'm not trying to rail on Linux, btw. I use a Linux distribution quite extensively for my work. It's the best for the sorts of things that I do, but gaming (for economic reasons) is not the same.

All of our games, as far as I know, work on Wine. The number of Linux users who refuse to use Wine and who don't have another machine for gaming is a pretty thin slice of pastry.

We are building up the energy to port our games to a new platform, but I'm afraid it won't be Linux. Sorry about that.

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: VCH
Originally Posted By: Spidweb

We are building up the energy to port our games to a new platform . . .
- Jeff Vogel

Interesting

Probably a console port. That's the big thing nowadays.

All of our games, as far as I know, work on Wine. The number of Linux users who refuse to use Wine and who don't have another machine for gaming is a pretty thin slice of pastry.

- Jeff Vogel

I do use Wine, and I do have plenty of machines. But, I had been hoping (perhaps foolishly) that over the course of the years, you had been streamlining the dependencies of your game code to cross platform ones so that you could release a native Linux version fairly easily. Since Linux is what I use primarily, I generally prefer running games natively on Linux.

Originally Posted By: Master1

- Jeff Vogel

Great, now all the iPad fans are going to expect Jeff to make them stuff.
I know, right? Of course, it's obvious that Jeff is aiming for the succulent BeOS market...

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Originally Posted By: King InuYasha
- Jeff Vogel
Probably a console port. That's the big thing nowadays.

Does that mean I will be able to play it on my new ipod nano? tongue

You got one, too? Marvelous device. Has future of gaming written all over it. Actually, that would have been a cool slogan to have lasered onto it...

Jeff said in his the last email newsletter that "...the first Avernum game might somehow find its way onto one of those nifty handheld tablety cell-phoney things that the kids are so crazy about. Anything is possible."

Kinda makes it more likely for ipad ports in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...